Nandroid backups cause bootloop

tk1269

Reaction score
I had finally tweaked my phone to where I liked it, but as always, theres more things to try. Got the ROM Toolbox, messed around in there a little, and wanted to change the battery icon. It said it was in beta, so make a backup first. I rebooted into clockwork recovery, made a backup, then applied the battery icon change. It changed a lot of things on my phone, but not the battery icon, and then wouldn't let me un-change it. So I rebooted into clockwork again, cleared all data and such, and restored the backup I had just made. This dropped me into a bootloop. Pulled battery, tried again, bootloop. Finally I had to sbf back to stock, then tried to load backup again, bootloop. Eventually I gave up and started from scratch, but I would really like to know why my backups are no longer working. Since starting over, I have made nandroids and they work fine, but none of the older ones will work. Anyone know whats up with that?

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
this happened to me when i used clockwork recovery also (a long time ago). honestly from my experience (and i think many other people's) clockwork sucks. If you're willing to leave clockwork and use SP or RZ maybe it'll work?

I can't say for sure if it was clockwork that caused it for me, but i left clockwork for many other reasons and it never happened again...

OP
T

tk1269

Reaction score
Czer, thanks for your input. Since reading your post I did some research and decided to go with RZ. Almost everyone had nothing but good things to say, but I am having trouble getting it to work on my phone. I downloaded the .zip file, and tried to flash it, but it says there is something wrong with the file and it won't open up. I don't suppose you have a copy of it for me to try. . . ?

czerdrill

Silver Member
Reaction score
Czer, thanks for your input. Since reading your post I did some research and decided to go with RZ. Almost everyone had nothing but good things to say, but I am having trouble getting it to work on my phone. I downloaded the .zip file, and tried to flash it, but it says there is something wrong with the file and it won't open up. I don't suppose you have a copy of it for me to try. . . ?

Hey man no I deleted the zip off my card after I flashed it. What msg are you getting when you try to flash it? My suggestion would be try redownloading and try again. I think rz has two different files depending on which recovery you currently have so make sure you're using the right one