Myriad of Eris ?'s regarding overclocking, 2.2, and home screen issues

jaitken0308

Reaction score
Hi All,

As requested when beginning a post, here are my phone specs:

HTC Droid Eris
Official OTA 2.1 OS
Rooted with Jcase's 1-Click Root App (found on XDA)
SetCPU OC'd to 528 (If that's really considered OC'd)

Now, to my points.

Overclocking

First, I DL'd Overclock Widget. No matter what I set it to, it reverted back to 256 whenever it felt like it. I uninstalled it and found SetCPU - the almost consensus favorite of the forums. I set it to 528 (the max it would allow) when the phone is in use, and set it to 245 when the phone is charging, sleeping, gets too hot, and so on.

From what I've gathered, the "On Demand" and "Performance" settings differ in that "On Demand" toggles between the max and one step below while "Performance" pegs it to the max.

1. Is this accurate?
I do like this app, but I'd like to push my phone beyond it's stock limitations. From what I've read, my current OS won't allow any clock speed beyond 528 and that I need a custom rom that will allow me to do so.
  1. Do I need to upgrade to 2.2 to push this further, or is there a 2.1 rom that will do the trick?
  2. I want to push my clock speed as far as possible. First, how far is possible (while still being stable)? I've seen some say that 768 is it. Although, I have seen a youtube video of one OC'd to 845.
This leads me into my next point.

2.2 OS

I've read alot regarding this and have found mixed reviews. Some say that 2.2 is amazing, while some say that 2.2 is too much for the Eris. I know this is purely opinion, and it's hard to expect a subjective answer, but which is it?

1. Will 2.2 work on the Eris? If so, can you point me in the direction of some roms that would work?
  2. Is it too much for the Eris?
In another direction, the root I used stated that it was only for 2.1.
  1. If I flash a 2.2 rom (or use another 2.1 -if it is possible to load an OS that is that similar to the one I have), will I lose root? If so, is rooting an OS-specific process?
  2. And if so, can you point me in the direction of some rooting files that work with 2.2?
Home Screen

Months ago, I DL'd Launcher Pro for a home screen app. I liked it, but it was a memory hog so I uninstalled it. Now, I'm left with the option of HTC Sense and Home as my two home screens. Each time I tap the Home button, it gives me the option of choosing either and setting one as the permanent one.
  1. If I select one as the permanent, how can I ever revert back to the other one?
  2. HTC Sense, since rooting, has begun to creep in speed and has forced close several times. Is this a problem with anyone else? Can I remove it?
  3. If I select to use HTC Sense, or Home, will the other one stop running in the background?
Like I've said, I've read through the forums for some time (and Googled these questions) but haven't found what I've needed. Any help is appreciated.

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Overclocking
1. Not quite. Performance Maxes your CPU speed to what ever you have the max speed set at. Ondemand fluctuates between the max speed, and the lowest CPU speed the phone is stable at. As the demand for CPU speed increases, SetCPU ramps up the CPU speed to match the demand.

In answer to your other two questions, max CPU speed is dictated by the processor, and the kernel that is running the processor. AFAIK, 845 Mhz is the max speed, but 768Mhz is a popular setting, because of the stability it offers.

2.2 OS
1. There are several 2.2 ROMs for the Eris. Visit xda for FroYo (2.2) roms.
2. I cant speak for you, but there seems to be a following for the ROMS. My wife hasnt let me root her phone yet, Im working on her though.

Home Screen
1. Menu > settings > applications > manage applications > Find the Launcher app you are using, click it, scroll down, and click "Clear Defaults"
2. Unknown, although unless you are running a rom, I wouldnt mess with anything Sense related because you run the risk of bricking your phone.
3. Ye s. (In theory anyway.)

OP
J

jaitken0308

Reaction score
This may be a silly question, but is there a difference between a kernel and an OS?

OP
J

jaitken0308

Reaction score
If I flash a custom ROM, is the kernel included with it, or do I have to flash it by itself after flashing the ROM?

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
The OS and the kernel are two different pieces of the puzzle. The OS dictates how you interact with the phone, while the kernel dictates how the phone uses its hardware. Usually, the kernel affects the CPU speed, wifi and 3g access.
In answer to your second post, I don't believe there is an overclocking kernel for the Eris. There is a "stock" kernel that will come with the ROM. But, as I said before, my wife won't let me mess with her Eris after I deleted all of her contacts installing a leaked version of 2.1 to her phone.

riadav

Reaction score
There's an app in the market called home switcher that allows you to change your home app pretty easily, can just switch to a different one or change the default...i use it all the time.

OP
J

jaitken0308

Reaction score
The OS and the kernel are two different pieces of the puzzle. The OS dictates how you interact with the phone, while the kernel dictates how the phone uses its hardware. Usually, the kernel affects the CPU speed, wifi and 3g access.
In answer to your second post, I don't believe there is an overclocking kernel for the Eris. There is a "stock" kernel that will come with the ROM. But, as I said before, my wife won't let me mess with her Eris after I deleted all of her contacts installing a leaked version of 2.1 to her phone.

Bob, thanks for the clarification. There are quite a few people on this board who have posted about overclocking their Eris to 768Mhz, past the stock limitation of 528Mhz. So the only way to make this possible is to have a custom ROM that has a custom kernel? If that's the case, I've seen quite a few custom 2.1 ROM's floating out there I'll look into (not too crazy about trying 2.2).

Another question: I already have the OTA 2.1 OS. Can I load a custom 2.1 on there? Are there any problems with updating to the same base OS that you already have?

Bob Dammit

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Another question: I already have the OTA 2.1 OS. Can I load a custom 2.1 on there? Are there any problems with updating to the same base OS that you already have?
Dammit, you're going to make me root my wife's phone!!!!! LOL :icon_ banana:

All rooting will do (over simplified) is give you SU permissions to let you change stuff HTC didnt want you to change. You can run pretty much anything Eris specific you would like on it after you are rooted.
Just remember, nandroid is your friend, back up before you change ANYTHING, and you can always go back to a stable system if you need to.

cruehd

Reaction score
what is meant by "launcher app"? trying to overclock past the factory settings using setcpu.

Thanks!