My S Pen just exploded!!!

Kowolski

Reaction score
7e1425d27207c7334a550312c1a51b69.jpg

Was just holding the S Pen and suddenly it just exploded LOL

The little spring inside the pen just shot out.

I was able to put the pen back together but should I notify Verizon? I pay for phone insurance, i am afraid to stick the S Pen in the event it comes apart again and it gets stuck inside the phone 

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Last edited:
OP
Kowolski

Kowolski

Reaction score
Lol what a nightmare!!! Jonny and Cr6 I got the Note5 September 11, 2015.

I called Verizon and they said that I had to call Samsung. My phone still under the 1 year warranty. Even tho I pay insurance for my phone every month, that doesn't cover incidents like this, only theft, water damaged, etc.

So i called Samsung and i was on the phone for 2 hours!!! The young man at Samsung was new, his 4th day on the job and he didn't know anything.

I tried to keep my cool, he had issues with the system, would put me on hold, took the information incorrectly, a comedy of errors, I even spoke to his supervisor and all she did was apologize......urgggghhh

I gave up after 2 hours and I will call back tomorrow

Oh by the way he wanted me to send in my phone for repairs!!! I said NO I only need the SPen. He was clueless

c8d8fbed87048d83fe731e774413ff75.jpg

Last edited:

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
You were WAY more patient than I would've been. I would've hung up after 20 minutes and called back, you would've gotten someone else. Oh well, hindsight and all.
Hopefully you'll have better luck tomorrow!

S5 tap'n

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
2hrs. wow your patience is amazing. I thought I was patient but you take the cake.

Can't believe Verizon won't replace it under insurance, and Samsung has to make it so difficult. Though I suppose they consider it an accessory.

Another route you could take is buying the s-pen separately. I think they go for like $25-$35, depending where you buy. I'd probably spend that if Samsung is going to make you send in the device and then you won't have it for like 2-3wks.

cr6

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Website
www.dronewolfmedia.com
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S7 Edge
Twitter
@dronewolfmedia
Verizon should have replaced it, unless you took their minimum insurance option. The 9 dollar plan covers anything & everything. I never deal directly with Verizon anyways when it comes to insurance issues. (For future reference) Go straight to Asurions website and you can do it all online, takes about 5 minutes. You'll get your replacement in the mail next day and you've got 14 days to return yours.

S5 tap'n

OP
Kowolski

Kowolski

Reaction score
Cr6 i pay $11 a month in insurnace and Verizon told me that does not cover the SPen. Only water damage, stolen, etc. Trust me I was shocked they sent me to Samsung, i have been a loyal Verizon customer way before Verizon was Nynex, they were then NY Bell Telephone !!!

The Verizon rep called the closest Verizon store closest to me in Boynton Beach and they had no spare Spen....

I am going to visit a Verizon store today so they can see it .

OP
Kowolski

Kowolski

Reaction score
2hrs. wow your patience is amazing. I thought I was patient but you take the cake.

Can't believe Verizon won't replace it under insurance, and Samsung has to make it so difficult. Though I suppose they consider it an accessory.

Another route you could take is buying the s-pen separately. I think they go for like $25-$35, depending where you buy. I'd probably spend that if Samsung is going to make you send in the device and then you won't have it for like 2-3wks.
Well Samsung told me that the Spen needs to be paired with the EMEI number of the phone.

So I dunno

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I know we've had members retrieve their s pens in older versions of the Note with no issue. Wonder if they changed something.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

OP
Kowolski

Kowolski

Reaction score
Cr6 i just spoke with Samsung, i need to send the defective SPen to them then once they receive it, they will "examine" it and decide to exchange it

Dear lord, they make this very difficult....

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
I would hope they'll take one look at it and replace it for you. That's kinda ridiculous. I could see if you were claiming the whole phone was defective, but like someone said, they sell S-pens for like $30-40, which likely means it costs them considerably less to make a new one. Stupid that they won't just send you out a new one, but I guess they gotta pinch their pennies like any other company if they want to keep their spot at the top.

OP
Kowolski

Kowolski

Reaction score
Jonny seriously this whole experience has left a really bad taste, Verizon and Samsung's customer service needs so much improvement.

I wonder if Apple is better but I have heard from friends that have Apple products they are a nightmare too....

Amazon has an amazing customer service!