My phone won't turn on

frandrescherfan

Reaction score
Saturday night, I was charging my phone because the battery was dying. It would not turn on. Sunday morning, it still would not turn on. I called Verizon and they had me press the power button and volume down, nothing happened. When I plug it into the computer I get a solid white light showing up. I am being sent a replacement, but does anyone have any advice or suggestions? Please...I really need access to some of the texts on my phone. Thank you.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
There is actually most likely nothing wrong with either the phone or the battery that isn't completely reversible.

The problem you are experiencing is likely a deep-discharge of the battery, most likely due to the battery meter being out of calibration with the acutal battery capacity. Since computer USB ports typically don't produce the amount of current necessary to both kick-start the charging system and also support the deeply discharged battery at the same time, you will often find that the phone only shows a solid white light. Use the STOCK charger and STOCK cable, and plug into a 110/220VAC outlet. If the light comes on briefly and goes out, that's a good sign. If the light stays on, you may be beyond recovery for that battery, but leave it on charge anyway for at least a few hours. It may eventually kick-start itself.

The symptoms are completely preventable by simply following these rules.

• DO NOT allow your phone to discharge to 0% and power off on its own under any circumstances if at all possible.
  • If your phone is approaching the 0% level (i.e. 5%), POWER OFF the phone and don't resume use of the phone until after a FULL CHARGE to 100% with the POWER OFF (animated battery with percentage), and using the STOCK CHARGER & CABLE (to check progress, briefly tap either volume button).
  • Charge at every opportunity that is conveniently possible during the day to prevent reaching that critical battery level and being forced to POWER OFF.
  • Use your battery meter the same way you would use your car's Gas Gauge. You wouldn't want to be stalled with an empty tank on the side of a dark and remote road for hours or longer, would you? If not, then why would you risk the same with your phone?
  • If you see the phone's battery level getting low, limit use to only absolutely necessary tasks (i.e. calling for a ride), until you can get to someplace where a charge can be completed.

1. Once every 2-3 months, power the phone off (press and hold Power, then select "Power off" from the menu,
  2. then charge to 100% with power off,
  3. next, use the phone normally
  4. Once you reach 15% "Low Battery" warning, then repeat steps 1-3

If you follow these steps, you should not even have to worry about the phone dying and becoming unresponsive to the charger.

Last edited:

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Moving thread to Smartphone Battery Discussion forum...permalink will remain here in Droid RAZR MAXX.