My Note 2 is on its way, have an activation question. Alternate Upgrade option.

Low Saturn

Reaction score
I can wait for mine to arrive. I was able to get an "alternate upgrade" on my plan and use the upgrade eligibility of another number to get my Note 2. I'm sure how to activate on my number instead of the number the upgrade was for isn't difficult. But I'd thought I ask here for anyone who has done this as well. Just want to be prepared. I'm assuming I just long into the Verizon site and activate the Note 2 under my number rather than the number that the upgrade was for?

Thanks,

GoCliffGo05

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 7
On the Verizon page there should be a swap device option. It will change numbers between the devices IIRC.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

OP
L

Low Saturn

Reaction score
On the Verizon page there should be a swap device option. It will change numbers between the devices IIRC.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Xparent Cyan Tapatalk 2

I'm not actually swapping numbers. The phone (a basic phone) that is currently attached to the upgrade line isn't being disconnected from that number. There is no data plan attached to that number. That phone and number are staying the same. I'm just activating the Note 2 to my number. Kinda confusing. We have three basic phones (my son, my Mother and my Father) and one smartphone (mine) on my plan.

duff70

Reaction score
you need to first activate the phone on the basic which will put a data plan on that line for the time being. now you can switch the phone to your number with the unlimited data. on the upgraded basic line you can now take your data plan off and put your basic phone back on it.

bkdodger

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note 10+
duff hit it spot on... They can put the phone on basic line for a minute with data..then switch! Congrats you will love the phone..

《Take Note2 BK's here..》

jseah

Reaction score
you need to first activate the phone on the basic which will put a data plan on that line for the time being. now you can switch the phone to your number with the unlimited data. on the upgraded basic line you can now take your data plan off and put your basic phone back on it.

The problem with activating the phone on that line first is that the sim card then gets tied to that line and you either would need to wait a full day (after you put the feature phone back onto the line which you used the upgrade from) for the sim to "reset", or you need to go to the Verizon store and ask them to give you a new sim. There's another way you can accept the contract extension without having to activate the phone on that line first. I assume you purchased the phone online and you are waiting for the phone to be shipped to you? When you get the phone, the activation instructions will tell you to call a 800-number to activate the phone. Call that number, and the recording will guide you through accepting the terms and conditions to extend your contract. Then it should ask if you want to activate that new phone. Once you have extended the contract, you can simply end the call and not have the phone system walk you through setting up the new phone. You can then go online to My Verizon, go to the activate phone page, enter the ID number of the micro sim card onto your line, and then plug it into the new phone.

OP
L

Low Saturn

Reaction score
The phone came today and activating on my line was pretty easy.

I'll start of by saying that when I ordered the phone, the rep I was talking to told me about the alternate upgrade option. So Verizon knew what my intentions were. I logged into my account on the Verizon site this weekend just to poke around. When I went to the "Activate or Switch A Device" option, two of the four lines would take me to the "enter MEID" screen after a couple clicks. On the upgrade line and the line I intended the Note II to be activated on would want me to verify some information on the my receipt that would be in the box.

Forward to today. This is how I had to activate the Note II for people who my search for this later.

This is all written by memory, so exact order my not be correct.

Phone off, SIM card inserted, battery charged.

-Select "Activate or Switch A Device"
-Selected the line I wanted the Note II to be linked to.
-Selected "Next"
-Enter password
-Verify information from the receipt that came in the box.
-Enter last four digits of account holders SS#.

It then said I was done and to insert the SIM card and power up the phone.

I powered up the phone, when through a screen or two and it said it was activating. It tried for several minutes, failed and I tried again and it failed a second time. It prompted me to call a 1-800 number.

Instead, I logged back into the Verizon site. The Note II didn't show as any of my current phones. So I repeated the activation process online. This time it was a little different. It went like this:

-Select "Activate or Switch A Device"
-Selected the line I wanted the Note II to be linked to.
-Selected "Next"
-Enter password
-Verify information from the receipt that came in the box.
-Enter last four digits of account holders SS#.
-Then it asked if I was adding a new phone or swapping phones. It didnt ask this before. Since this phone was never activated on my other line, I selected Add a device or phone or whatever it says.
-Then it prompted me to enter the MEID or ESN.
-It then told me that my old Bionic's SIM card was different then the Note II's SIM card and i would have to active a new card or call and request one. Mine came with a new card so I continued with the process.
-Entered the new SIM card's ID number.

It then said I was done and to insert the SIM card and power up the phone.

Phone powered up and the activation process started. Within a couple minuted I was using the phone.

There it is..............

JazzyDroid4

Reaction score
Let me see if I understand correctly....if I get a second line (number) then I can purchase the Note 2 put it on as a second phone, wait a few days then swap my phones from one line (2nd line) to another (original line with the grandfathered unlimited plan) then switch the second line to basic service????? *praying*

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Forum Runner

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Let me see if I understand correctly....if I get a second line (number) then I can purchase the Note 2 put it on as a second phone, wait a few days then swap my phones from one line (2nd line) to another (original line with the grandfathered unlimited plan) then switch the second line to basic service????? *praying*

This is how it worked in the past, but by creating a second line you are creating a contract. If the second line was already had and was entering the end of the contract, you could get away with it.

JazzyDroid4

Reaction score
This is how it worked in the past, but by creating a second line you are creating a contract. If the second line was already had and was entering the end of the contract, you could get away with it.

Hmmm interesting...thanks 4 responding.

I figured that re: creating a new contract but would a new contract for a second line void my grandfathered unlimited plan that I currently have?

Last edited:

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hmmm interesting...thanks 4 responding.

I figured that re: creating a new contract but would a new contract for a second line void my grandfathered unlimited plan that I currently have?

No but I'm not sure could back out of a smartphone line and go right to a basic, that you just opened.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Harplayr

Reaction score

That's close to what I did.
I used an upgrade from another phone in my family plan to do the upgrade, then whan it came I activated it on my phone number (not the number used for the upgrade). I was able to keep my grandfathered unlimited data plan by doing it that way.

I was afraid to do it manually through the Verizon site, so I called Verizon and had them take care of the activation.

JazzyDroid4

Reaction score
No but I'm not sure could back out of a smartphone line and go right to a basic, that you just opened.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

Not basic per say but the least expensive plan they offer for a smartphone.

JazzyDroid4

Reaction score
That's close to what I did.
I used an upgrade from another phone in my family plan to do the upgrade, then whan it came I activated it on my phone number (not the number used for the upgrade). I was able to keep my grandfathered unlimited data plan by doing it that way.

I was afraid to do it manually through the Verizon site, so I called Verizon and had them take care of the activation.

I had a second line a long time ago.....I'm going to check my account.

Harplayr

Reaction score
It has to be an active line.
I used my mother-in-law's line which was well past due for an upgrade.