My new #1 App - Twonky DLNA Server for Android

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hmmmm I may try this out, I already have my PC sharing movies and music to my PS3, this could be fun to play with.

Thanks!

OP
J

jfourman

Reaction score
I downloaded and installed from the Android Market. When you first start the app, it scans your phone for media. I turned on my Droid's Wifi. The TwonkyServer Mobile was immediately visible to any DLNA or UPnP client. It took 2 minutes. No setup was involved. The UI looks pretty cool too.

Chief Wahoo

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Quick ? - I have an Escient Music server at home with tons of music on it. The Escient is capable of remote access through its internet connection (I am almost certain). Would this app be able to do this in reverse and access my Escient server (and the music) on the Droid?

nitsuj

Reaction score
So aside from "cool" factor, how is it useful? So I can stream music from my phone to my PC? Why do I need to, the music is on my PC already, thats how it got on the droid to begin with.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing the app. I really just like to hear how others are using their phones.

entr0py

Reaction score
Very cool app, testing it now with a PS3, so far it is working great! Only suggestion for us multimedia dock users, could you have the UI support landscape? I am not sure if it is possible with DNLA but it would nice to choose what types of media to serve (music, video, pictures).

OP
J

jfourman

Reaction score
Quick ? - I have an Escient Music server at home with tons of music on it. The Escient is capable of remote access through its internet connection (I am almost certain). Would this app be able to do this in reverse and access my Escient server (and the music) on the Droid?

No. TwonkyServer Mobile only serves up the content on your phone to your other DLNA clients...not the other way.

Nitsuj said:
So aside from "cool" factor, how is it useful? So I can stream music from my phone to my PC? Why do I need to, the music is on my PC already, thats how it got on the droid to begin with.

I can now immediately view the videos and pictures I took with my phone on any HDTV or PC in my house without transfering the files or hooking up any cable. I can also go to any PC and copy the pics and videos from my phone over WiFi.

The Shredder

Reaction score
Sound like a neat app but I dont even know where to start. It only turns off and on and rescans. Can't get it to connect to my pc.

tu3218

Reaction score

No. TwonkyServer Mobile only serves up the content on your phone to your other DLNA clients...not the other way.

Nitsuj said:

I can now immediately view the videos and pictures I took with my phone on any HDTV or PC in my house without transfering the files or hooking up any cable. I can also go to any PC and copy the pics and videos from my phone over WiFi.

hey thanks for the explanation of uses. That sounds very useful and I think you sold me on downloading it lol.

droidman86

Reaction score
very cool app. a web interface is available through port 9000. You can view files from any browser and configure server settings, including which folders twonky scans. def. the coolest app so far. It seems as though verizon blocks port 9000 but it is accessible over wifi.

OP
J

jfourman

Reaction score
Sound like a neat app but I dont even know where to start. It only turns off and on and rescans. Can't get it to connect to my pc.

Your PC needs to be running Vista or Windows 7 to serve as a DLNA client. Your phone needs to be connected via Wifi to the same network as your PC. Once these two criteria are met, you will see the phone listed as "TwonkerServer Mobile" in WMP11 or under Network Devices in Windows Explorer.

In addition to your PC, an XBox360, PS3, and most Media Server devices will see the "TwonkyServer Mobile" as a Media Server.

droidman86

Reaction score
The name, too, can be configured via the web interface. Again, any webbrowser can access the server on the same network though port 9000. I was able to stream a movie to my roommates mac using the webaddress of the movie and VLC on his computer. Very cool stuff.

OP
J

jfourman

Reaction score
The name, too, can be configured via the web interface. Again, any webbrowser can access the server on the same network though port 9000. I was able to stream a movie to my roommates mac using the webaddress of the movie and VLC on his computer. Very cool stuff.

Thanks Droidman86. I correct my previous post...you don't need to have a DLNA client to access the phone per Droidman86's discovery of the port 9000 web interface.

So, from my browser, I enter the URL: http://<IP_of_the_phone>:9000 and I am returned a web interface to the media on my phone...very cool.

I should have discovered this since I am already a Twonky user on my home NAS.

You could now allow someone to remotely view the videos and pics on your phone from their phone or PC if you allow them through your firewall.

tdog7879

Reaction score
im confused??? i got it to pick up on my ps3 but it will not play any of my vids. Also how do i get it to pick up on my laptop????
Thanks

OP
J

jfourman

Reaction score
im confused??? i got it to pick up on my ps3 but it will not play any of my vids. Also how do i get it to pick up on my laptop????
Thanks

Unfortunately, the PS3 won't decode .3g format videos. The PS3 will play videos from your phone in other formats such as MP4, VOB, etc... My WD TV Live Media Server will play the .3g files.

If your PC is Vista or Windows 7, you will see the phone in WMP11 as a media server or in Windows Explorer under Network Devices - Media Servers.

You can also access the phone from any browser on your network by entering the URL: http://<IP_of_your_phone>:9000. This will give you a web interface to the phone in which you can adjust settings as well as access your media.