My Intro Along With Questions

hwortman

Reaction score
OF38D3 Translates to Old Fart born in 1938 D is for April (4th month as A, B, C, D) 3 is the 3rd day of the month.

I have been using the Palm Treo 755p for the last two to three years and am intrigued by what I have read and gleaned from this forum. I have enjoyed using the Palm and regularly use the following apps. Calculator, calendar, contacts, GoogleMaps (I love the finding places and addresses with this function), memos (which memos can be PW protected), messaging (which is texting), camera & camcorder, pTunes (which was purchased from Normsoft), unit conversions (which was purchased), Audible (Books), etc.

I also fly ultralight airplanes and Light Sport Airplanes. What apps would be available for airspace and airports. I have looked at an app from Hilton Software called WingX which would be great except it is not presently available for the Android platform.

I have not changed from the Palm 755p to the Droid but would certainly like to give it a trial.

Old dogs can learn some new tricks...if they are not too complicated.

Thanks, Henry

droiddict

Reaction score
So far there is no support for Audible books on Android phones. I've seen enough people wishing for it that I have hope.

BillTheCat

Reaction score
Welcome to the forums, Henry. Sounds like you're certainly making the most of the Treo! I haven't done audio books, so I am not aware- how does an audio book differ from any other audio file? Is it not a standard audio format? Trying to think, and if it is not a proprietary format, the only feature I can imagine needing from audio book software that wouldn't be in most audio players would be a "bookmark" feature to save your place. Am I missing the boat on that one?

Most of the other features you mentioned (except the aviation software) are either native to, or easily available for the Droid via the Android Marketplace.

And keep in mind- web browsing on the Droid is pretty darned zippy, so if there's not an app for something you need, but there is a web page, you're still in business in many cases.

OP
hwortman

hwortman

Reaction score
Just about convinced

A couple more questions:
I have carried my Palm 755p in my shirt pocket. What cover should I get to protect the Droid?
What additional devices should I get when I make the purchase?
Extra battery?
Mobile charger?
Charger for the extra battery?
Anything else?

Thanks Henry

JimMariner

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 64G
What cover should I get to protect the Droid?
I find the cases get in the way of using the docks.
But I still use this type, not this color, mine is black :p ........... PART# MOTA855SILB

mot_droid_sil_cov_pink.png

What additional devices should I get when I make the purchase?
Home Dock .................. PART# MOTA855DOCK
mot_droid_charging_cradle_dock.png

& Car Dock ............... PART# MOTA855MNT

mot_droid_vehicle_mount.png

Extra battery? ............. PART# MOTA855BAT
Depends on how far you are away from a charging power source.
mot_droid_std_lith_bat.png

Charger for the extra battery?
Found this while searching for all this stuff ............... PART# MOTBTONCHR
mot_droid_charging_cradle.png

Mobile charger?
I use a Dual Purpose Charger 12/110 volt from Verizon
................Part# MICUSBDUALCHR
micro_usb_dual_chgr.png
This is my back up Charger for the Car .................. Part #MICUSBVPC
lg_9100_vpc.png

I Hope this helps you some. :p

Last edited:

JimMariner

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 64G
!!!!! Oh Yeah, Welcome "hwortman" to Droid Forums Too !!!!!

Forgot to say that, you had me busy digging up all that other stuff :p

OP
hwortman

hwortman

Reaction score
Thanks to all!

Thanks to all who have responded to my questions. This forum is just as good as the one I participate in with my airplane. GREAT!