My Gallery doesn't load new pictures

silverfang77

Reaction score
rant: I've noticed this since my ICS upgrade. My Gallery won't load new pictures copied or moved to folders until either the SD card is unmounted and remounted or the phone is rebooted. I tried clearing the app's data and reformatting the SD card and nothing has worked.

My final conclusion was to install QuickPic, which seems like a worthy substitute. It's just a shame to have to rely on a third party app for something that should be a basic smartphone function.

/rant

ndoren

Reaction score
rant: I've noticed this since my ICS upgrade. My Gallery won't load new pictures copied or moved to folders until either the SD card is unmounted and remounted or the phone is rebooted. I tried clearing the app's data and reformatting the SD card and nothing has worked.

My final conclusion was to install QuickPic, which seems like a worthy substitute. It's just a shame to have to rely on a third party app for something that should be a basic smartphone function.

/rant

Try clearing the data in the "media storage" system app. A reboot is then necessary and give it a few minutes to rebuild afterwards. Neall

OP
silverfang77

silverfang77

Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance, is this media storage app available in the Play Store or is it part of Android? Where do I access it?

ndoren

Reaction score
Forgive my ignorance, is this media storage app available in the Play Store or is it part of Android? Where do I access it?

The media storage app is a built-in app. It builds the phone-wide database of music and images. The individual apps, like gallery, music player, etc., reference this database in order to list the musical or video contents. That's why when you don't see music with one player app, you won't see it with another. They don't build their own databases... they use the phone-wide database. For whatever reason, this database can get corrupted during the update. YOu can erase the database, and the media storage app will rebuild it when you reboot.

Go into "manage applications" and select the "all" tab. Scroll down to the media storage app, and select it. Click the delete "clear data" button. Then reboot your phone. Keep in mind that it may take a while for the database to rebuild. For my Droid with a 32 Gb card, it takes 20-30 minutes after the reboot. Give it a try. The rebuild process is automatic. YOu don't have to do a thing after the reboot except wait. No harm done even if it doesn't work. Neall

OP
silverfang77

silverfang77

Reaction score
Just got back from doing what you said with no difference. Winamp only finds the MP3s I moved to the internal storage and the My Gallery app finds only three folders while QuickPic finds everything. I guess I can live with that arrangement, but it speaks volumes about the effort that was put into developing this OS.

Tappin' and talkin' with Tapatalk.

OP
silverfang77

silverfang77

Reaction score
I am not running ROM Manager. Stock ROM only.

Thank you anyway.

ndoren

Reaction score
I am not running ROM Manager. Stock ROM only.

Thank you anyway.

Well you are stock rooted. And Rom Manager is an app from the play store that lets you do backups of your system. If you don't have that app installed, then that's not the problem. Never mind. I'm out of ideas.

pjhauser

Reaction score
This tip fixed my gallery issue on my Nexus 10 running 4.2.2

Thanks for the tip. I was doing some "clean-up" and orginization of some video clips on my phone and the gallery database got out of sync with the actual contents. Clearing the database and letting it rebuild fixed it perfectly.

At first I thought I messed something up using the ASTRO File Manager, since I had just downloaded it and this was the first time I had used it. But I found no other reports of ASTRO causing an issue like this and eventrually ran across this tip. Thanks for posting!