My first ROM...

cadre.9

Reaction score
Hi. I have my DX rooted, I have a Nandroid and Titanium Pro backup. I also have the Droid2 Bootstrap so I feel like I'm ready to try a ROM. I've read that Liberty is a good one for a novice to try so I downloaded Liberty3X-2.0Gold.zip. I have a few questions, though:

I read one place that I should copy the file to my SD card without unzipping it. Is that right?

One source said I should use the "Import/Export" option under Contacts and export my contacts to my SD card. I thought I could restore all that data using Titanium Backup. Not so?

I only have a little more than 1gb of space left on my SD card. Should I clear more before starting?

Also, how can I be certain this ROM will work with my phone (version 4.5.605)?

I'd appreciate any advice.

Savagerun

Reaction score
Yes leave it zipped. I always download a rom straight to my phone using dolphin hd browser its free in the market. The rom zip will end up on your sd card in the download folder. The stock browser doesn't work very well sometimes when downloading things but dolphin always works great. The best thing to do for your contacts is to back them up to your google account. Just go in settings then accounts and press your gmail account and make sure everything is synced. Once your on a rom you'll have to sign into your google account and your contacts will automatically restore. You can also do the import/export thing you mentioned but i would definitely sync them with google. You said you have a small amount of space left on your sd card so its not a bad idea to clean some stuff out.
EDIT... And that liberty rom you have will work just fine for your system version.
Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums

OP
cadre.9

cadre.9

Reaction score
Thank you very much, Savagerun. I plan on taking the leap tomorrow.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
Good luck on installing Liberty!! Just follow the steps closely and you will be fine :biggrin:

Savagerun

Reaction score
Thank you very much, Savagerun. I plan on taking the leap tomorrow.

Not a problem. If you need instructions on installing liberty just let us know otherwise good luck, Liberty 3 is excellent great choice.

OP
cadre.9

cadre.9

Reaction score
I now have Liberty installed. I thank you all very much for all the help you've given me.

I'm gradually learning my way around the ROM and I have a lot of questions:

When I logged into the Market all my apps began downloading. I didn't really need all of them right now and I can't find a way to stop it. Is there a way to prevent that from happening if I do another ROM?

Speaking of the Market, it's a huge icon on my home screen; is there any way to re-size icons?

Under Launcher Options it mentions "Hotseats". I Googled that but I can't find a relevant definition.

I only have five screens. How can I expand to seven?

Thanks again for your guidance and patience.

cadre

Savagerun

Reaction score
The market downloading your apps i usually go straight to the market after i sign into my google account and press the menu button and select my apps then you'll see a stop download button so just press that. The big market icon just long press it and drag it to the trash bin at the bottom of the screen if you don't want it. The hot seat is your icons at the bottom of the screen on your homepage. There's only two icons now the browser icon and the phone icon but if you select 4 hotseats you'll be able to add two more icons down there. I would try different launchers besides the one that comes with liberty because it doesn't have much as far as being able to customize things. I use adw ex but its not free. They do have a free version but it doesn't give you as many options to customize. You can try golauncher or launcherpro also.

OP
cadre.9

cadre.9

Reaction score
Thanks, Savagerun, for the launcher tip. I installed Go Launcher and that solved most of my problems.

One other thing- I lost my Sticky Notes widget. I looked in Titanium Backup and that appears to be the only thing that wasn't backed up. I guess my notes are lost. :( Anyhow, I looked in the Market for a replacement but there are so many. Any idea how can I find the one that came with the phone?

Savagerun

Reaction score
Go in settings > liberty settings > customization > liberty customizer> then press addons and you should see sticky notes

OP
cadre.9

cadre.9

Reaction score
When I grow up I want to be just like you :biggrin:

Thanks again.

Savagerun

Reaction score
Haha... No you don't.
Your welcome.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
When I grow up I want to be just like you :biggrin:

Thanks again.

Now that's funny lol.

Nothing against you savage, just the comment itself is funny :D

lowvolt

Reaction score
How is the liberty3 rom? I have been running vortex for awhile. Thinking about a change.

JSM9872

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S22+
How is the liberty3 rom? I have been running vortex for awhile. Thinking about a change.

I had good luck with it when I ran it. That was a while ago but I also don't think there have been any updates since then.