My Droid X Horror Story (don't pull the "pull" tab)

Evolution

Reaction score

Super Stu

Reaction score
It shold be something like this below:

<-- Don't tear off. Battery lifter tab.

In large bold type.
It should not have been labelled at all. If it was simply left red, or made distinguishable from the black battery by some other means, it would have been immediately obvious as to its use when the owner came to remove the battery.

Labeling it "pull" when the battery does not come pre-installed was, in retrospect, a poor design decision by Motorola.

jroc

Silver Member
Reaction score
EDIT: lol Stu beat me to it. The battery wasnt already installed. If it was I could see it being a common sense issue.

The hood release says pull. U pull it. Wasnt the hood already on the car before pulling the hood release? If u remove the hood completely...THATS not having common sense.

Ppl pulled the tab before putting the battery in. With no indication it was for removing the battery, some folks removed it completely. Like someone mentioned at another site, the tab was too ambiguous. Its clearer now. If u remove it all the way NOW, not having common sense comes into play.

Evolution, I was one of the ones that almost pulled it out, then decided to put my battery in first just to see what happened. Me coming from the Droid, that didnt have a pull tab, I woulda been more inclined to pull the tab all the way out. I woulda assumed removing the battery was gonna be the same for the X.

I can see where u coming from about common sense. But I dont think the folks who did pull it all the way out dont have common sense tho. Common sense also says follow directions, pull the tab cuz thats what it says. Especially with the battery not being installed I can see why some pulled the tab all the way out.

Last edited:

Guyute

Reaction score
When I got my DX it was obvious to me this was a battery pull, just like some old toys I had as a kid. Last thing I thought was to yank it out or pull on it without a battery in it.

Just my .000002 cents

I guess others thought differently.

Richie Calloway

Reaction score
If you do accidently tear out the tab. Do what I did. Simply take piece of scotch tape and attatch it to the underside of the battery and then touch the very end of the tape back on itself and bring it around the side of the battery you have the same kind of pull tab that you tore out. Simply pull the tape and the battery comes right out no problems.

donaldkunze

Reaction score
Awesome. Now i know why my battery is a bear to remove.
**45 day old facepalm....still feels fresh**

FlyNo5

Reaction score
I knew what it was for and pulled it out anyway to save weight. :motdroidvert:

Anticitizen

Reaction score
To the original poster who started the thread: there's no way that you caused the phone to not work by pulling that tab. I think you just had a defective model, and it's a coincidence that you pulled the tab first.

JWDX

Reaction score
I pulled mine and haven't had any problems. I didn't know there were any problems associated with following the instructions. I thought the plastic helped protect the inside during shipment.
However, I do wonder if the plastic helps shield heat from the battery from getting the internal electronics a few degrees warmer. Heat is the number one killer of electronic components.

Last edited:

G h o s t

Reaction score
lol i guess all this schooling im going through now is helping to think out side the box. lol.........i almost pulled the tab too but decided not to cause it is there to help remove the battery ins-ted of using a knife or such like a lot of my older phones have no super nice pull-tab to remove the battery