My droid was hacked

ljprevo

Reaction score
I am not sure where to post this, but I thought I would start here.

This morning my wife woke up and notice my phone doing a bunch of things on its own, calling random numbers, sending emails, etc.

I know the phone is hacked, I am just trying to find out why and how it got hacked.

Any recent hacks out there that anyone knows of? A way to get rid of it?

I searched the forums and have seen no reports of a lot of hacked phone out there so I thought the phones getting hacked were rare.

Any suggestions/questions appreciated.

Is there a way to master reset the phone?

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I am not sure where to post this, but I thought I would start here.

This morning my wife woke up and notice my phone doing a bunch of things on its own, calling random numbers, sending emails, etc.

I know the phone is hacked, I am just trying to find out why and how it got hacked.

Any recent hacks out there that anyone knows of? A way to get rid of it?

I searched the forums and have seen no reports of a lot of hacked phone out there so I thought the phones getting hacked were rare.

Any suggestions/questions appreciated.

Is there a way to master reset the phone?
It probably isn't hacked but the first thing you want to do to be on the safe side is change your google password.

Usually what causes this is using a charger that is not made for the Droid. So if you're doing something like that then put it on the original charger.

If it still does it do a Factory Data reset. Clear goth data and cache. If it still does it take it back.

OP
ljprevo

ljprevo

Reaction score
It probably isn't hacked but the first thing you want to do to be on the safe side is change your google password.

Usually what causes this is using a charger that is not made for the Droid. So if you're doing something like that then put it on the original charger.

If it still does it do a Factory Data reset. Clear goth data and cache. If it still does it take it back.

You know what HB, I think you may be right. I just bought a brand new charge yesterday. It is a Duracell charger, said it was made for Motorola. My wife said when she saw it was going crazy she said it stopped after she unplugged it.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
As far as the charger causing the issue... there was a lot of information on this here http://www.droidforums.net/forum/te...-suggestions/4081-rogue-droid-huge-issue.html

was a well known and common issue with after market chargers not providing the right amperage to the device... caused the device to 'do things on their own'.

def worth a look for peace of mind.

This must be very rare. I have used 6 different chargers for my Droid and have never had a problem with any of them. The current output has been anywhere from 500 ma to 1000 ma. The one I use the most is a Verizon branded 800 ma, instead of the 850 ma that came with the Droid. I doubt that it is the current causing the problem, unless it is less than the 500 ma USB standard. I would more likely suspect that the voltage output is not within the 4.75 to 5.25 v USB standard. Perhaps the voltage tolerance even needs to be tighter than that.

BigMcGuire

Reaction score
I used an LG Charger on my phone yesterday (after having used an OEM charger for the last 1.5+ years) --- and I couldn't even unlock the main screen for a good 10+ seconds. Then when I did, it was opening things on its own, and even managed to call one of my family members. After unplugging the charger, everything went back to normal. And I thought all these people saying to use only OEM chargers were just bs'ing. lol.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score
As far as the charger causing the issue... there was a lot of information on this here http://www.droidforums.net/forum/te...-suggestions/4081-rogue-droid-huge-issue.html

was a well known and common issue with after market chargers not providing the right amperage to the device... caused the device to 'do things on their own'.

This must be very rare. I have used 6 different chargers for my Droid and have never had a problem with any of them. The current output has been anywhere from 500 ma to 1000 ma. The one I use the most is a Verizon branded 800 ma, instead of the 850 ma that came with the Droid. I doubt that it is the current causing the problem, unless it is less than the 500 ma USB standard. I would more likely suspect that the voltage output is not within the 4.75 to 5.25 v USB standard. Perhaps the voltage tolerance even needs to be tighter than that.
i'm no electrical engineer so it may be the voltage instead of amperage.... :)

either way it was happening to people with after market chargers.

TheOldFart

Reaction score
I used an LG Charger on my phone yesterday (after having used an OEM charger for the last 1.5+ years) --- and I couldn't even unlock the main screen for a good 10+ seconds. Then when I did, it was opening things on its own, and even managed to call one of my family members. After unplugging the charger, everything went back to normal. And I thought all these people saying to use only OEM chargers were just bs'ing. lol.

As I said above, watch the voltage of the charger. The LG charger for my wife's Ally is only 4.8 v. I'm still betting that problems relate to the voltage of the charger and not the current. All 6 of the chargers that I have used have been 5.0 v chargers. I have never tried to charge my Droid with the 4.8 v Ally charger. I still think that as long as the charger is 5.0 v and at least 500 ma that it will work fine.

TheOldFart

Reaction score

So make sure that the voltage is correct. The cheap after market chargers probably don't meet the voltage requirement, regardless what they say on the label. None of the 6 chargers that I have used are junk chargers.

Martin030908

Super Moderator
Reaction score

So make sure that the voltage is correct. The cheap after market chargers probably don't meet the voltage requirement, regardless what they say on the label. None of the 6 chargers that I have used are junk chargers.

i never said if it was after market it had to be junk.

OP
ljprevo

ljprevo

Reaction score
The charger I bought was a Duracell, actually made by them. Figure it was a safe bet to buy, I was wrong.

D

dankarlinski

Its not that its a bad charger persay, but its just not what the phone asks for. As mentioned, its a voltage/amperage thing with motorola devices. Had the same problem using a Dinc charger, and my old blackberry 8900 charger, but the verizon and moto chargers work fine. Something moto is using isn't right...

From my Liberated Droid 2 (Liberty v 1.5)

bassic83

Reaction score
I have a Duracell charger as well, it does fine for my wife's Crackberry, but it freaks my Droid out something fierce. It has to be the voltage or the current it is putting out. I'll try to remember to check the outs with a multimeter when I get home, but it is my wife's off day and I think I might not want to be doing things to advance the scientific community if she is wanting to spend time with me...