My DROID Tried to Explode.....seriously

techguru

Reaction score
Was the battery hot? How many mH is the charger?

I hate that all these batteries come from China. I never trust the quality. This is classic crystals in the lithium behavior (if it was overheating. If it was just generating gas at normal temp I don't know what would cause it.

OP
S

Shira

Reaction score
it was the stock battery with the charger that came with it, and oddly, it wasn't hot at all. It was cool to touch and it had been charging.

Snoking

Reaction score
GPS Status gives battery temp in the lower left of the main screen. Chris

brochaos

Reaction score
your phone is probably fine, you just need a new battery...

Xerozix

Reaction score
PLEASE!!! FOR YOUR SAFETY!!!

PLEASE dispose of that battery in the following method!!

Submerse the battery into bucket or tub of salt water. This container should have a lid, but it should not need to be air-tight. Prepare a plastic container (do not use metal) of cold water. And mix in 1/2 cup of salt per gallon of water. Drop the battery into the salt water. Allow the battery to remain in the tub of salt water for at least 2 weeks.

Lithium Polymer batteries, (the puffed one) are VERY dangerous, especially in this state. Though it seems like everything is over, it can and will spontaneously combust, causing a BIG fire.

Look up LiPo Fires if you want proof.

LiPo Fire = LOTS of smoke and LOTS of flame. If it's on anything combustable, say good bye to it.

OP
S

Shira

Reaction score
way to scare me. how the hell do i get an unstable battery to the verizon store to get a replacement >.<

Xerozix

Reaction score
LMAO, you can use a big plastic bag, filled with sand, and put the battery in there.

Also, be sure to take photos. :p

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
Lol, id take the battery in to verizon. Im not sure about the salt thing and what not but my bet is your battery had a defect or something. My question here is HOWS THE DROID? Is the precious ok? and maybe a safe way to transport the battery is through a small bubblewapped box... Im not as catious as Xerozix but i f you handle the battery with care i dout it will explode.

OP
S

Shira

Reaction score
From what I'm reading, it usually bursts/flames when it actually bulges. What's the actual probability that this thing is going to burst? heh

OP
S

Shira

Reaction score
My Plot was actually to take it into the Verizon store tomorrow with the droid and claim that i didn't feel safe around the phone. I can't determine whether it was the phone that caused the damage or the battery! Hopefully I can get a Droid 2 or X out of the deal. I need a spare/trash device for when I go snowboarding :)

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
From what I'm reading, it usually bursts/flames when it actually bulges. What's the actual probability that this thing is going to burst? heh

lol, i dout it will. Throw some salt over your shoulder instead of in a container and just take the battey into verizon and be like wtf, you guys trying to kill me? Maybe then you will be able to upgrade your phone or get it replaced without much hastle. Just handle the battery with care.

And just for the salt thing, whats that going to do? the battery is obviously airtight cuz their is a bubble. how would salt water effect anything? lol explosion containment? Why not just say put it behind some bricks and add a huge "FIRE IN THE HOLE" statement. (its cooler :))

ilikemoneygreen

Silver Member
Reaction score
My Plot was actually to take it into the Verizon store tomorrow with the droid and claim that i didn't feel safe around the phone. I can't determine whether it was the phone that caused the damage or the battery! Hopefully I can get a Droid 2 or X out of the deal. I need a spare/trash device for when I go snowboarding :)

LOL you beat me to the punch on that thought. If i were a Costumer service guy, id definetly upgrade you, That battery could have been running through your veins....literally. (wouldn't have felt grat getting to them either)