My Droid is Haunted!

Technoman

Reaction score
Thanks guys! I exported all my contacts to the sd card, and then mounted to my computer. From there I imported them into my Mac Address Book, and presto! All visible and all info is in the proper fields (names, phone #'s, address, etc). Hmmm - wonder if I can do the reverse, in essence syncing my address book on the computer with that of the Droid. I have over 3,200 contacts there - is there a limit on contacts on the droid? My Razr only held a couple hundred if I recall..

There are many more fields in Address Book (mostly business related stuff) - wonder what happens to that info on the phone? mikey

You can actually save your contacts to a CSV file, load them into Google contacts, and they will be on your phone automatically. That's how I got my original contacts to my new phone.
Went to VZWBackup online, exported to CSV.... Took CSV file, and imported to Google contacts... set my new phone up to use existing Google account... and there they were.

OP
C

cuskit

Reaction score
About an hour ago I heard my Droid ringing, although it sounded slightly different than normal. Walking over to my desk where it sat - I was surprised to see a dark screen - yet the phone was ringing to denote a call coming in. I picked it up and tapped the screen - nothing. Dark screen. Still ringing. Hmmm. Very strange! I touched the power on/off button. Nothing. Yikes! WTH? So I "swipe" my path for the turn-on (yea - I know it well enough I can do it in the dark). Still nothing. Still ringing.

Now I'm concerned. So I press and hold the power button. Nothing. Still ringing though. I'm turning my head, looking around the room. Am I alone? Is there another phone in here? No. It's definitely mine. I hold it closer to my ear and it's most definitely my ringer!

So what now? I pull the cover off, snap out the battery cover and remove it. Aaahhh! With a sigh of relief the ringer stops! Wiping my brow I reassemble it, and turn it back on. I hold my breath, hoping NOT to hear the ringing sound again. Red eye stares at me blankly, like a sharks eye, lifeless but pulsating. Then the familiar chime goes off, and a friendly home screen appears. Now I feel better. I immediately go to my call log. And then my breath is coming fast again - my chest begins to heave. No recent calls. The last incoming call logged in was two hours previous - I had answered my worker calling in for this weeks schedule. I look again. Nope - nothing after that!

I look around the room again. In one corner is my 55 gallon fish tank - all the fish are motionless - staring directly at me. On the small round rug beside my desk sits my dog - he's staring at me intently, the hackles up on the back of his neck. I glance over at my tv - I had been watching the Daytona 500. Screen was black. No sound coming from it. I think back. Did I shut the tv off to answer the phone? No - the remote was still sitting on the coffee table in front of my easy chair, partially covered with this mornings newspaper - I just know I never picked it up. I look outside the window - the birds that had been cheerfully jumping on and off my bird feeder were sitting motionless on the lid. Staring in the window - directly at me. Eerie! I'm now feeling a bit apprehensive to say the least.

I walk over to my landline portable, pick it up and dial my cell. Within seconds, the familiar ringing sound starts on the Droid. I peer at the screen. Yep! It's lit up with my home phone number showing on the caller id. I breathe a sigh of relief. I hear the birds start to chirp again, fluttering excitedly around the feeder. Looking down I see the dog is once again washing his paws - meanwhile watching me out of the corner of his eye - his standard look awaiting a walk outside. The fish? They are now swimming around, following their normal aimless path doing countless laps around the perimeter of the tank. I swipe the phone with the ignore swipe. Then check out the call log again. One call in the last two hours. Mikey's house. Eight seconds ago.

I'm back watching the race, it's under red flag. I'm munching on chips and dip, reclined back in the chair, comfortable and at ease. Somewhat.. I'm also keeping a wary eye on the Droid - silent in its repose sitting on the corner of the desk. Waiting. For what, I don't know. But I'm not sure I'll leave the phone on it's regular vigil tonight on the MIKRADLE beside my bed. I'm thinking I'll just for one night, perhaps leave it out in my truck, in the garage, locked from the inside... And for tonight at least - I'm locking my bedroom door. And hopefully will sleep through 'til the morning... mikey

Hi cuskit!

I'm sexygal** I bought one of your
MIKRADLES , very nice. I didnt see your post till now. I posted today about my haunted Droid!

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/te...ons/23366-haunted-droid-hmmm-you-tell-me.html
Hi sexygal! Of course I remember you - only two sexy gals in my life - you and my wife! ;) I missed your haunted post, but just now went and read it. You are not alone. My phone (as well as many others here) does make calls on it's own. Last week my sister called me, wanting to know what I wanted. Confused - I asked why the query. "Because you just called me a few minutes ago, I didn't get to answer it before you hung up". Hmmm. I checked my call log and sure enough - moments before was an outgoing call to my sis, duration only 2 seconds. I did not make that call - I was working in my shop at the time and the phone was setting on a MIKRADLE. Eerie!

Once before - about a month ago a similar situation - I checked my call log after walking my dog (left the phone in the house) and there it was - an outgoing call to one of my supply houses. This was a Sunday - they are only open weekdays. I did not make the call - I was not even in the house at the time. My wife was not home either - she was at work. Of course, the dog was with me, only the fish were in the house. In a different room...

Haunted? You tell me. ;)

By the way - I checked out your yearbook - very nice, interesting! I love your sense of humor, we have that in common! As well as loving cats. I've had cats and dogs all my life. Last cat (Snapples - a Maine Coon) died a couple of years ago at 12 years old. Also lost my dog and a cockatoo bird, all within a six month period. To say the least it was a dismal period in our lives (wife and myself). She was so heartbroken, she didn't ever want another pet, the grief was too overwhelming. About six months later, she got some medication. His name is Miles, and he's a Boston Terrier, and the sweetest, most adorable little tyke I've ever had in my life! He sleeps in our bed, sits on the couch with us and is only content when pressed up against us. Best medicine ever to get past the loss of an animal - getting another one as quickly as possible. They sure cannot replace the lost one, but somehow I feel the soul just moves from one pet to the newer one. They never leave you! :) Sorry to hear of your loss on Dec 6, but the new kitty looks to be a real charmer!

Okay - gotta go. Perhaps our Droid ghosts can finish this conversation between them! ;) mikey

Last edited:

Vagrent

Reaction score
sweet ill have to check that out. My kids and wife like to grab my phone when im sleepn and mess with it. find shortcuts missing and new ones on my desktop, gets frustrating

You can lock the screen with a pattern too. That comes built in. check your settings to change it.

I never messed with the Locale app. I wonder if it lets you have a lock pattern based on location and just a swipe to access the phone otherwise.

Ghost Radar...forgot about that one!

if i lock my phone my wife thinks im hiding something so i leave it unlocked

Neko

Reaction score
About an hour ago I heard my Droid ringing, although it sounded slightly different than normal. Walking over to my desk where it sat - I was surprised to see a dark screen - yet the phone was ringing to denote a call coming in. I picked it up and tapped the screen - nothing. Dark screen. Still ringing. Hmmm. Very strange! I touched the power on/off button. Nothing. Yikes! WTH? So I "swipe" my path for the turn-on (yea - I know it well enough I can do it in the dark). Still nothing. Still ringing.

Now I'm concerned. So I press and hold the power button. Nothing. Still ringing though. I'm turning my head, looking around the room. Am I alone? Is there another phone in here? No. It's definitely mine. I hold it closer to my ear and it's most definitely my ringer!

So what now? I pull the cover off, snap out the battery cover and remove it. Aaahhh! With a sigh of relief the ringer stops! Wiping my brow I reassemble it, and turn it back on. I hold my breath, hoping NOT to hear the ringing sound again. Red eye stares at me blankly, like a sharks eye, lifeless but pulsating. Then the familiar chime goes off, and a friendly home screen appears. Now I feel better. I immediately go to my call log. And then my breath is coming fast again - my chest begins to heave. No recent calls. The last incoming call logged in was two hours previous - I had answered my worker calling in for this weeks schedule. I look again. Nope - nothing after that!

I look around the room again. In one corner is my 55 gallon fish tank - all the fish are motionless - staring directly at me. On the small round rug beside my desk sits my dog - he's staring at me intently, the hackles up on the back of his neck. I glance over at my tv - I had been watching the Daytona 500. Screen was black. No sound coming from it. I think back. Did I shut the tv off to answer the phone? No - the remote was still sitting on the coffee table in front of my easy chair, partially covered with this mornings newspaper - I just know I never picked it up. I look outside the window - the birds that had been cheerfully jumping on and off my bird feeder were sitting motionless on the lid. Staring in the window - directly at me. Eerie! I'm now feeling a bit apprehensive to say the least.

I walk over to my landline portable, pick it up and dial my cell. Within seconds, the familiar ringing sound starts on the Droid. I peer at the screen. Yep! It's lit up with my home phone number showing on the caller id. I breathe a sigh of relief. I hear the birds start to chirp again, fluttering excitedly around the feeder. Looking down I see the dog is once again washing his paws - meanwhile watching me out of the corner of his eye - his standard look awaiting a walk outside. The fish? They are now swimming around, following their normal aimless path doing countless laps around the perimeter of the tank. I swipe the phone with the ignore swipe. Then check out the call log again. One call in the last two hours. Mikey's house. Eight seconds ago.

I'm back watching the race, it's under red flag. I'm munching on chips and dip, reclined back in the chair, comfortable and at ease. Somewhat.. I'm also keeping a wary eye on the Droid - silent in its repose sitting on the corner of the desk. Waiting. For what, I don't know. But I'm not sure I'll leave the phone on it's regular vigil tonight on the MIKRADLE beside my bed. I'm thinking I'll just for one night, perhaps leave it out in my truck, in the garage, locked from the inside... And for tonight at least - I'm locking my bedroom door. And hopefully will sleep through 'til the morning... mikey

Hi cuskit!

I'm sexygal** I bought one of your MIKRADLE, very nice. I didnt see your post till now. I posted today about my haunted Droid!

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/te...ons/23366-haunted-droid-hmmm-you-tell-me.html
Hi sexygal! Of course I remember you - only two sexy gals in my life - you and my wife! ;) I missed your haunted post, but just now went and read it. You are not alone. My phone (as well as many others here) does make calls on it's own. Last week my sister called me, wanting to know what I wanted. Confused - I asked why the query. "Because you just called me a few minutes ago, I didn't get to answer it before you hung up". Hmmm. I checked my call log and sure enough - moments before was an outgoing call to my sis, duration only 2 seconds. I did not make that call - I was working in my shop at the time and the phone was setting on a MIKRADLE. Eerie!

Once before - about a month ago a similar situation - I checked my call log after walking my dog (left the phone in the house) and there it was - an outgoing call to one of my supply houses. This was a Sunday - they are only open weekdays. I did not make the call - I was not even in the house at the time. My wife was not home either - she was at work. Of course, the dog was with me, only the fish were in the house. In a different room...

Haunted? You tell me. ;)

By the way - I checked out your yearbook - very nice, interesting! I love your sense of humor, we have that in common! As well as loving cats. I've had cats and dogs all my life. Last cat (Snapples - a Maine Coon) died a couple of years ago at 12 years old. Also lost my dog and a cockatoo bird, all within a six month period. To say the least it was a dismal period in our lives (wife and myself). She was so heartbroken, she didn't ever want another pet, the grief was too overwhelming. About six months later, she got some medication. His name is Miles, and he's a Boston Terrier, and the sweetest, most adorable little tyke I've ever had in my life! He sleeps in our bed, sits on the couch with us and is only content when pressed up against us. Best medicine ever to get past the loss of an animal - getting another one as quickly as possible. They sure cannot replace the lost one, but somehow I feel the soul just moves from one pet to the newer one. They never leave you! :) Sorry to hear of your loss on Dec 6, but the new kitty looks to be a real charmer!

Okay - gotta go. Perhaps our Droid ghosts can finish this conversation between them! ;) mikey

Hi Mikey!

I'm blushing now that I hear I am one of the sexygals in your life, LOL. Thanks for dropping by my profile, a million served everyday.. Ooo wait thats Mcdonalds. Anyhoo.. I'm glad you love animals that a plus in my book. Sorry to hear about the passing of 2 of your pets so close together, I was depressed with the passing of just one! I'm glad you have Miles, the best medicine indeed!

On a lighter note I did call Verizon about my Droid waking me up with texts that I "dont "receive" and I also told them how my phone was calling my contacts etc... I could have swear I can here in the background the swishing of pages through the Yellow Book looking for the nearest Psychiatric ward for me. They said it might be a software problem and they never heard of it. I dont think they believed me. I am still under the 30 days (only for a few days yet) and they said I cant take it back to the store because I took off the UPC Code from the box. ( for the rebate) I said this is bull, I paid over $500 for this phone outright, I dont want a re-furb! I told them this phone rings with the sound OFF and calls people from my contacts, if this phone starts feeding my cats in the middle of the night when their hungry and washes the dishes.... I'll keep it!

Last edited:

Dave12308

Silver Member
Reaction score
Something kinda like this actually did happen to me, same thing I was asleep, and I wake up to the faint sound of my phone in the corner. I get up to search my jeans for my phone, it's there and the ringing had stopped...grab it and it was black. Hmm. Same thing, I look for recent calls...nothing. Then it goes off again, I'm looking at my phone in hand and it only takes me an instant to realize the guy in the next hotel room had the same damn ringtone. :icon_evil:

Yea - but this was definitely my phone. What puzzles me more than the ringing was that it was locked up while ringing, and needed a hard reset. Hope it doesn't repeat itself - especially while meeting with a client or something like that! ;) mikey

Somehow it doesn't sound any more sinister than a software glitch and subsequent lockup. Unfortunately, it decided to loop your ringtone after locking up.

I've had the same exact thing happen with a Windows PC before, so I guess I just assume it's nothing sinister.

YA123

Reaction score
That's pretty freaky. But not as bad as this, I was youtubin all night, just watching ign videos, and machinima videos, that was the only 2 things I search 'ign' and 'macinima' but when I awoke I look at my yoyoutube history and it said 'you are not alone' and the chair near my bed that was facing my desk...was facing my bed, watching me....

OP
C

cuskit

Reaction score
Neko: I don't think swapping your phone will help - I believe it's more a software thing than hardware. And when it starts washing dishes - well then I'll buy it from you! ;) People that love animals are the best people in the world! I'm just leaving work now (worked through the night - as you can tell by my posts last night) and I can't wait to see Miles! He'll greet me at the door and will lick my face so much I fear he'll take my skin off! Then a long walk with him, and later an hour of playing fetch - which he just loves! Sometimes he's so tired chasing the toy that he falls asleep running after it. Just plonks down and goes out like a light! My mother tells me that's the way I was when I was a little kid. I'd fall asleep at the dinner table eating dinner, chewing every mouthful 28 times. Yikes! ;) I'm so exhausted right now I'm sure I'll fall asleep during tonights dinner..... ;)

Dave12308: I believe you are right! Hoping that the loooooong hard reset with the battery out for a couple hours and full charge over night cured it. So far so good! :)

YA123: Spooky! If you read Neko's thread - the chair was probably just moved while your Droid was vacuuming during your nightey night nap! :) mikey