My droid 2 physical keyboard issues - please help

DEEJAY_UK

Reaction score
i only just discovered this problem , some of my buttons on my physical keyboard dont work , but the next day they were working fine again then the same buttons stopped working again , i'm thinking it could be a software issue but am not sure , i was on froyo 2.2 then officially updated to gingerbread through motorola site , but when i was on froyo i hardly used it so wasnt sure if the keyboard was playing up back then , before i discovered this keyboard problem a few days ago i tried to root my phone using a software (petes motorola tools) it didnt root it came up with an error message , so am thinking if this has anything to do with the problem , the buttons that dont work are like half the letters from the keyboard the other half work fine , but when the problem happens again its the same letters that stop working , as i said all buttons started working again the next day and then problem came back again , so i am very confused please help..

AECRADIO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
1.Moto-G, Droid-X, 3.Droid 2
Twitter
@AECRADIO
I doubt this issue to be a software problem, but a poor keyboard flex cable connector that is causing you fits.
You may need to open the case, remove the RF/camera board(the large board that has the camera affixed to it, also by a tiny ribbon flex), and check the underside of that board, there are a few more connectors under rubber boots, so you need to visually trace each flex cable/connector to locate the keyboard flex.

Press down firmly to reseat each connector, replacing the appropriate boots over each connector, and reassemble in reverse order.

The back protective cover over the case screws is a bear to remove, so use a THIN tool that does not cut, and GENTLY pry upward to remove the cover.
The next operation requires you to remove the silver mylar grille under the battery cover, this WILL tear if you just use brute force!
There are THREE small screws under the grille, and just as many under the cover you removed as well.

The camera lens cover has a screw under it, so care will be required to lift this without damaging the adhesive backing.
The easiest fix for this, would be to clean the adhesive sheet and super glue it into place once you have repaired your keyboard troubles.

TEST EVERYTHING FIRST, before you screw down the covers!!

Under the battery cover, there is ONE screw on the left, near the upper left side of the battery housing. ALL screws in the phone are TORX screws!
Please use the RIGHT TORX driver for this!

If you are CERTAIN you have everything tested and functioning properly, THEN, you can proceed with the button up, and hopefully, use of the phone once more.

Please 'like' if I have assisted in a positive way.....

Good luck!