Multiple Sent Email Problem!

Nauset13

Reaction score
I got the Droid on the day it came out, set up my email account that I have at GoDaddy.com with IMAP, and now on my GoDaddy webmail there is a new folder that has been created called "Sent." This is in addition to the folder that is called "Sent Items" that is already there by default.

My problem, in addition to the new "Sent" folder, is this:

Every time I send an email from my phone, the message goes to the recipient just fine, but in the new "Sent" folder, the message gets duplicated many times. There can be anywhere from a single duplicate, to many, many more...so much so that my "Sent" folder over the course of a week, will contain upwards of 20,000 sent messages. The messages seem to continue duplicating also - there will be 3 duplicates for example, then an hour later there will be 9. This is madness!!!

I have another email account (not godaddy) that I also have set up with IMAP and it has NO problems at all.

I use outlook on my computers with IMAP...no problems. In outlook, i even have the new messages that are created and sent going to the proper "Sent Items" folder.

I have contacted people at godaddy, verizon, and motorola about this. Nobody has been able to help. I think it's either a problem with the email server or the phone, but I'm not sure.

I also have another Droid with another GoDaddy account - SAME PROBLEM...

This is driving me nuts - someone please help!

Thanks!

RinTinTigger

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.droidforums.net
IMAP has nothing to do with sending mail. Contact godaddy about your problem

WRONG IMAP is a possibility to equal multiple Client-Connection to one single mail account supporting it. So you can have at all clients you use the same Mail-level. You cant delete an email at client 1 and still have it on client 2 which may happen on POP accounts.

But, speaking of the problem, it looks like one of the clients subscribing to the folders of your IMAP created the secound Sent folder.

Maybe GoDaddy tries to be smart creating a SENT folder for every client connection so that you can be sure from where it was send.

But i also suggest to contact either DROID supporter or GoDaddy support.

Tigger

OP
N

Nauset13

Reaction score
The client that created the "sent" folder is the phone.
The extra folder I can deal with...its the multiple emails that is the main problem.

I have contacted Droid, Verizon and GoDaddy...they are all clueless.

I really like the phone, but if this is how it's going to be then I have to really consider taking it back.

jwd45244

Reaction score

WRONG IMAP is a possibility to equal multiple Client-Connection to one single mail account supporting it. So you can have at all clients you use the same Mail-level. You cant delete an email at client 1 and still have it on client 2 which may happen on POP accounts.

But, speaking of the problem, it looks like one of the clients subscribing to the folders of your IMAP created the secound Sent folder.

Maybe GoDaddy tries to be smart creating a SENT folder for every client connection so that you can be sure from where it was send.

Tigger

IMAP is used to get E-mail from a server to a client. SMTP is used when sending mail. It is you who are wrong

OP
N

Nauset13

Reaction score

Tigger

IMAP is used to get E-mail from a server to a client. SMTP is used when sending mail. It is you who are wrong

I understand that IMAP gets email from a server. i also understand that it syncs folders and messages and status with the server as well. i also understand that SMTP is for sending mail.

My problem is not that my phone syncs mail between all folders - my problem is that when i send mail from the phone, the messages that are sent are duplicated many times over within the "Sent" folder.

for example, if i send a message to [email protected] titled "Message," then it will show up in the "Sent" folder. In addition to this, it will sync that folder with all clients (computer 1 using outlook, computer 2 using outlook, computer 3..., my phone, etc...). after several minutes, or a few hours, or a day...that message titled "Message" sent to [email protected] will appear in the "Sent" folder multiple times. there will be anywhere from 3-16 copies of the same message within the folder. the message list will look something like this:

...(email messages)...
[email protected] - "hello i need help..."
[email protected] - "Message"
[email protected] - "this email thing is really pissing me off..."

...and so on...

this is very frustrating. i think its the phone's inability to reconcile messages that it has sent. i have heard of this problem happening with other email servers as well... (other than specifically godaddy.com)

biglu

Reaction score
i'm on Yahoo and it does the same thing. at first i thought i sent the same email 10 times to one person but after deleting them all, they all came back again.

OP
N

Nauset13

Reaction score
yeah...very frustrating...

need to find a solution

iHope

Reaction score
I have the exact same problem being described here. Anybody have ideas?

quint15

Reaction score
same problem

i have the same problem with my yahoo account. i noticed it today...mine was about 300 messages. i have no clue whats going on witht the yahoo account.

fwiw

Reaction score
For what it's worth, count me in as yet another person having this issue.

TatDroid

Reaction score
Yeah, me too. My record so far for multiple "sent" messages appearing for a single sent email is 802. Awesome!

jraggio

Reaction score
same here. I had to switch to k9, but that is also not perfect. k9 is good, but does not allow me to select from my contacts when sending a new mail. ugh...

I wish there was a fix for the native mail app.

seeker222

Reaction score
I also have the same problem! In addition, and I don't know if this is true for the others, but even when I go into Outlook and delete the many multiple sent items, they keep multiplying!! Twice now I've gone in and deleted the messages only to find many, many more the next day. I haven't tried deleting them from the phone, but that's my next step. Very unfortunate, as I changed my GoDaddy account from POP3 to IMAP specifically because I wanted my sent items to be coordinated between my computer and my phone.

If anyone figures out a solution, please let us know!

**** Edit **** Update *****

I went into the "Sent" folder from my Droid, and at first it showed many copies of the sent messages, but then they quickly all disappeared, and now they are gone in my Outlook as well. I had deleted them in Outlook previous to this, but I have no idea if that had anything to do with it. So perhaps that will work for others as well, not exactly a solution, but anything is better than having those sent messages multiplying in your email.

Last edited:

home38er

Reaction score
Having same problem with my Yahoo mail plus account, when it works...URGG!
one email in my sent folder over 1100 times! others were listed over 120 times.

This must be Google trying to kill yahoo and other email providers with 1 million paper cuts...