Movie review: Amazing Spiderman 2 (non spoiler)

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

AmazingSpiderMan2May2014Face2.jpg

Trying something new here venturing outside of the phone world into the movie world. I am a movie fan particularly action and comic book. It doesn't help that I feed my daily jones with a show called AMC Movie Talk (https://www.youtube.com/user/amctheatres), whose channel I stumbled upon 5 months ago.

Now for my Amazing Spiderman 2 (non spoiler) review: For those looking for a kid friendly action movie this will satisfy that. You do not have to concern yourself with feeling uncomfortable watching the movie with your kids. With that said I personally felt like this movie was a step back. At times it captured the super hero magic that brought people to the theater but they suffer from a mixture of too many characters and showing too many trailers. Because of all the trailers I felt like I already knew what was about to happen before I saw it on the big screen. This movie also felt like they wanted to use it more for setting it for something else vs giving the fans a great movie and conflict to watch play out on the big screen. There were just too many characters and plot point that it made it feel rushed even though the movie is over 2 hours long. I would have to give this movie a low full price. The action is grand enough to watch on the big screen and it is a fun movie to take the kids out to watch, but do not go in with expectations of this being a summer blockbuster.

My personal rating system on how I rate a movie.

Full Price X : Not only is this movie an awesome movie but I would even recommend watching it again. At what it cost to purchase a ticket now days there are not a lot of movies that is worth paying full price more than once. Examples of movies that fit in this Category are movies like The Dark Knight, The Avengers, and I would even argue Captain America 2: The Winter Soldier.

Full Price: This is reserved for movies that you need to see for yourself as soon as possible especially if you hate spoilers.

Matinee: This movie is good enough to see on full screen but no rush to run out to see it. In fact I would even suggest waiting to catch it when the price drops.

Rental (aka Redbox): Just wait for it to come out on Redbox as you are not missing anything grand. As far as spoilers....eh most people who saw it stopped talking about it the moment they got in their cars.

Netflix: Not even worth the $4 to rent just watch it for free on Netflix/HBO/Showtime.

Skip: Movie is so bad that even watching if for free just feels like a rip off. It is clear that the people involved in making the movie didn't care about it so why should you.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Any one who chooses to comment please be mindful not to include spoilers. Later in the week we will include a spoilers thread for those who already seen the movie but for now please leave this thread spoiler free. All spoiler comments will be moved to our spoiler thread. Thanks for your cooperation.

http://www.droidforums.net/forum/of...rman-2-spoiler-filled-thread.html#post2524042

^ go here for a full spoiler filled discussion about the movie.

Last edited:

KaChow

Reaction score
I happen to agree it was a great movie, I will make sure not to include any spoilers. But, I will say this Jamie Foxx was freak'n awesome!!! He was definitely one of the coolest Villain's that I've seen come to life, and I'll leave it at that. :biggrin:

jspradling7

Reaction score
Is this "amazing" spiderman series a continuation of the earlier series with Toby, or did they start the story back at the beginning where he gets bit?

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Is this "amazing" spiderman series a continuation of the earlier series with Toby, or did they start the story back at the beginning where he gets bit?

The Amazing Spider-Man is a different-ish story line. The main difference being instead of his love interest being Mary Jane Watson, you get Gwen Stacy. If you read the comics closely there are other differences, but for the most part this is a re-telling of the Spider-Man movies with Toby.

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
My son is 3 and its a pretty even love between Captain America and Spider Man. He saw the commercial for the new movie and recognized its one he hadn't seen. We may go this weekend.

OP
pc747

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score

Basically they rebooted the story and trying to make a movie about a more grounded and darker spider-man that are closer to the comics. The Toby Spiderman was designed to be a more family oriented spider-man where the amazing spiderman is meant to be like the dark knight where it is a darker story line. They both work by the way and I enjoy the way they handled telling the story. Personally I have not read any of the comics most of my knowledge of x-men, spider-man, batman, and superman came from the 90s cartoons.

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
I feel so sad for you pc747. You missed some good stuff. (Old Comics)