Mount SMB share over WiFi? (streaming client?)

SPG900NY

Reaction score
I used AndroMote to find my Windows Home Server over WiFi, and I bascally can see all the media files that I share out to the various streaming devices in the house (Popcorn Hour, XMBC, etc.). However, I'd really rather be able to mount an SMB share and just browse my files and play a video over the wifi to my Droid.

Is there any app that will do that? Someone has to have made a Samba client for Droid, right? I did a search on these forums and came up with nothing. Nothing on the web either...

gardobus

Silver Member
Reaction score
Estrongs File Manager can mount samba shares but I haven't tried streaming anything so I'm not sure how well it would work for that. Give it a try though, it is free in the market.

OP
S

SPG900NY

Reaction score
Thanks for the heads up on Estrongs. Very very cool. Needed a file manager and the SMB mount is awesome.

Tried to stream a video but it said streaming is not supported in this version, please copy to local.

Good enough for now. Thanks!

Wazup7

Reaction score
if you have a kernel that supports the CIFS module, you can mount a Samba network share to an empty folder on your SDCard.

This way, you can then access all of the files from the Samba share as if they were in that folder. So the stock media player would just think they are normal files sitting in that folder. You may need to run a media rescan after you mount.

The two caveats are: a.) Does your kernel support the CIFS module (slayher, does, in my case) and b.) Can your Wifi (or 3G??) support the bandwidth?

On my Wifi, this works like a charm. I just have so much music that I have to rescan every time I dismount.

*Edit* I really wanted something like this way because EStrongs works fine, but can't make playlists, read metadata, etc. for my music. Also, haven't tried videos. Might need an encoder for that--this may not be the best option for high-bitrate files. (Until our Androids come with solid 802.11n).

Last edited:

Wazup7

Reaction score
Probably, but I am partial to the stock player so I wanted to use that as my primary music app.

Do you know of something comparable to the stock player that will serve the same purpose?

I've only tried mSpot and wasn't impressed. Grooveshark is great too but has some bugs...

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App