Motorola Xoom Finally Getting 4G LTE Upgrade in September

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
xoom-lte-upgrade-email.jpg

Although Motorola has never come forward to explain what took so long for them to get the 4G LTE upgrade for the Motorola Xoom, they recently announced that it will become available in September. That's quite a bit of time between when they promised it would come out, in May. But, whatever the delay, the company began sending emails out to owners letting them know that they could expect it sometime in September. Here's a quote from the BGR article with a few more details,
Applying the 4G LTE upgrade requires that a new modem replace the old one in the XOOM, and Motorola will need customers to ship their tablets out for up to a week in order to have the upgrade applied. The process will be free of charge for XOOM owners.
We will let you know as soon as a more concrete date becomes available.

Source: AndroidTablets.net and XoomForums.com via BGR

wolfpackron

Reaction score
4G LTE Upgrade for WiFi Version of Motorola Xoom

Does the 4G LTE upgrade for the Motorola Xoom work for the WiFi version of the Motorola Xoom? Thanks in advance, WolfpackRon.

kodiak799

Gold Member
Reaction score
What a rip-off. I said before people should be demanding a refund. Deceptive advertising or selling or however you want to put it. A good 4 months after when people were led to believe they'd get their 4G.

I would think there has to be a class action lawsuit in the works (surely some opportunistic lawyer out there bought the Xoom). I suspect VZW will have to end-up offering several months of free tether, if not free data all together.

RemyL75

Reaction score
Does the 4G LTE upgrade for the Motorola Xoom work for the WiFi version of the Motorola Xoom? Thanks in advance, WolfpackRon.
No, it is only for the 3G version of the Xoom. If you don't have a 3G radio, you can't upgrade to a 4G radio.

RemyL75

Reaction score
I don't think a lawsuit is necessary, just accpept the upgrade and move on . . . dancedroid
I agree. Plus, it's not like they didn't tell us it was delayed. While they were shady about the date it would be available, the delay was announced more than once. It's finally here and those of us who got the 3G Xoom can finally call it a 4G Xoom and keep it moving.

reposter432

Reaction score
It it was Apple, they'd just make a new model and want you to buy that one. :)

Dusty

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3XL
My WiFi Xoom upgraded to 4G when I purchased a ThunderBolt and tethered it months ago.

I still can't figure out why someone would pony up for a 4G tablet.