Motorola Unveils the New Moto G

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
moto-g-front-official.jpg

The next Motorola device that was unveiled is the next generation Moto G. From its inception, this device was meant to occupy the mid-range/budget-friendly category, and it has become well known for exceptional value.

The new version continues that trend, as it is available today for $180 off contract. The new Moto G is mostly just an enhanced/refreshed version of the previous generation, although it does borrow some design queues from its new larger sibling, the next-gen Moto X. This includes front facing stereo speakers.

Here's a breakdown of specs,
  • 5-inch display (replaces the previous 4.5-inch) - includes the same 720P resolution on an IPS LCD - this brings the pixel density down 294 PPI from 329 on the previous gen
  • Quad-core 1.2GHz Snapdragon 400 (the same processor as the last gen) - Adreno 305 GPU
  • 1GB of RAM
  • Pure Android 4.4.4 (with Android L promised)
  • 8MP f/2.0 rear camera
  • 2MP front-facing camera
  • Dimensions: 70.7mm x 141.5mm x 6.0-11.0mm
  • Weight is 149 grams
  • Non-removable 2,070mAh battery
The main thing that makes this device stand out is the incredibly affordable off-contract price of $179 (as we mentioned above). The Moto G will be available starting today in the United States, India, France, UK, Brazil, Spain, and Germany. Motorola plans to launch the device to even more markets before the end of the year.

For more discussions regarding the new generation Moto G, head over to our dedicated section right here: DroidForums Moto G

Last edited:

Jeffrey

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7 Plus JB
Great specs and price point. Specifically targeting the low end/entry level market.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
For those with a memory span that includes the OG Droid -- I don't think there are really words in the English language (or any other) to explain how freakishly incredible it is that just a few years ago, a phone like the new Moto G didn't exist, let alone was something like it available OFF CONTRACT for under $200. It truly, truly blows my mind.

It's kind of a shame we're so used to weekly and monthly steps forward in technology, that when something so seemingly humdrum as the G comes out, we've already lost sight of what an absolute miracle it is. Case in point: I eagerly picked up the Pandigital Novel Android tablet JUST FOUR MEASLY YEARS AGO, and in contrast to the G, the Novel now looks like it came from 1957...resistive touchscreen (YES kids, it's true, we used to have touchscreens called "resistive" LOL)...ran Eclair...800x480 display...256MB of RAM...and a single core 800MHz CPU. Wow.

-Matt

Last edited:

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
And if the G ran on VZW LTE... I'd buy one. It is pretty amazing.

gadgetrants

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
And if the G ran on VZW LTE... I'd buy one. It is pretty amazing.
FWIW we have the AT&T/TMo LTE variant (the only one, I mean) with Straight Talk on AT&T's network. As I've mentioned elsewhere, everyone in the house but this phone is on VZW -- the G gets no signal in our house (wifi does the job) but it gets 4-5 strong LTE bars in town and pretty much wherever we go. I'm a little disappointed that TMo's $30 "unlimited data" wasn't an option for us, but we can live with $50/month on ST for now.

-Matt