Motorola G Will Be Officially Unveiled On November 13th

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Motorola-G-Nov-13-announcement.jpg

Motorola has confirmed that the Moto G will be officially unveiled on November 13th. As we previously reported, the internal codename for the Moto G is the Moto DVX. It will be a low to mid-range device at a very cheap price-point. It's basically designed to be the budget-friendly version of the Moto X, and should retail between $200-250.

This means that if it shows up in the United States, it will likely be free on contract. Here's a refresher of the rumored specs,
  • Display likely 4.5 or 4.7 inches
  • 8MP or 5MP rear camera with LED flash
  • Quad-core Qualcomm processor (possibly an older generation, or a Snapdragon 200)
  • 8GB or 16GB
  • 1,950 mAh battery
  • Android 4.3 Jelly Bean
Although these are obviously lower-end specs compared to the current "cream of the crop," if it does show up as free on contract or $200 off contract, that's still a pretty remarkable deal if you compare it to last year's high end models (or even early this year). We'll bring you details on the launch later on next week.

Here's a Motorola sign-up page for more info on the device: https://www.moto-g.com/

srd

Reaction score
G Motorola: It's about Loyalty (works both ways)

I have a Droid X that I got in 2010, one of the first (on Verizon). I promptly entered all my contacts. Right after that, there was an upgrade. From that point forward for 3 years it will not do the backup assistant properly. It tells me I entered the wrong pin, but on inquiry tells me that my pin is, in fact, what I entered. I have to back up my contact list with alternate means.

Over the past year, my phone experience has become rather unbearable. When I try to place a call or sometimes when I am answering a call, the phone does not respond to my button presses for several seconds. Its as if it is out to lunch. I do not have that many apps loaded as I see it, and most of them are seldom used. Could an unused app slow down the phone? Why should it? Changing screens goes really slow sometimes putting in a several second delay in touches or swipes.

Lookout does not find anything wrong. I ditched AVG for speed, but it never did either. I think its just the phone and the Android OS. Maybe this is just a dog.

I cannot connect to a network at work when standing under the gateway or anywhere around the place, even though everyone else can. I have verified that I am entering access parameters correctly. I can access my own WiFi at home though.

There are Apps on the phone that are absolutely useless to me, that I cannot delete. Why not? Madden football - who gives a squat?

Finding a photo with the default camera app or slideshow viewer is a very laborious process, and not worth the effort. I use others, but they are not much better. If you cannot get to your photos and organize them for easy access, what good is the camera app?

So right now I would rank my experience with this 'smart' phone about a 3 on a scale from 1 (worst) to 10 (best). Tech support has always wound up lost on the backup assistant problem, as have the people at the Verizon store. All they can ever suggest is wipe the phone and start over.

Given all the trouble I have had with the software running on this phone, can you give me a good reason to upgrade to another Motorola phone which, like the Droid X, is promoted for its fantastic hardware and battery life? What assurance do I have that I will end up with another near brick because of lousy software?

(You can't tell but I am screaming inside.)

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
I have a Droid X that I got in 2010, one of the first (on Verizon). I promptly entered all my contacts. Right after that, there was an upgrade. From that point forward for 3 years it will not do the backup assistant properly. It tells me I entered the wrong pin, but on inquiry tells me that my pin is, in fact, what I entered. I have to back up my contact list with alternate means.

Over the past year, my phone experience has become rather unbearable. When I try to place a call or sometimes when I am answering a call, the phone does not respond to my button presses for several seconds. Its as if it is out to lunch. I do not have that many apps loaded as I see it, and most of them are seldom used. Could an unused app slow down the phone? Why should it? Changing screens goes really slow sometimes putting in a several second delay in touches or swipes.

Lookout does not find anything wrong. I ditched AVG for speed, but it never did either. I think its just the phone and the Android OS. Maybe this is just a dog.

I cannot connect to a network at work when standing under the gateway or anywhere around the place, even though everyone else can. I have verified that I am entering access parameters correctly. I can access my own WiFi at home though.

There are Apps on the phone that are absolutely useless to me, that I cannot delete. Why not? Madden football - who gives a squat?

Finding a photo with the default camera app or slideshow viewer is a very laborious process, and not worth the effort. I use others, but they are not much better. If you cannot get to your photos and organize them for easy access, what good is the camera app?

So right now I would rank my experience with this 'smart' phone about a 3 on a scale from 1 (worst) to 10 (best). Tech support has always wound up lost on the backup assistant problem, as have the people at the Verizon store. All they can ever suggest is wipe the phone and start over.

Given all the trouble I have had with the software running on this phone, can you give me a good reason to upgrade to another Motorola phone which, like the Droid X, is promoted for its fantastic hardware and battery life? What assurance do I have that I will end up with another near brick because of lousy software?

I got the DroidX on the day it launched. Loved the phone. It however was neglected by Motorola. Updates were practically nonexistent. The DroidX2 was also plagued by no support from Motorola. The X2 had a dual core processor but never got updated to a version of Android that supposed dual core phones. I eventually rooted and started using CyanogenMod and after that, things went very well. The phone felt great and was much faster than stock firmware. The camera in it wasn't that good even though it was supposed to be. I feel it was a phone that came out in the wrong time and on a network that sucks in general. Devs that made ROMs made it a wonderful phone, but that is something only a handful of people had access to because they just didn't know about it or didn't want to do it to their phone.

The phone above however isn't really top of the line hardware. I've heard a lot of good things about the MotoX as well as the RAZR series. Things like the Verizon Backup Assistant I never trusted anyways. I don't want my contacts stored on their servers. Save your contacts to your Google accounts so you can access then from any future phone simply by signing into your gmail account.

Bloatware can be taken care of easier on modern phones because in Android 4.0, you can disable apps and stop them from running. It also hides them. Yes, they take up space, but they, root your phone and remove them that way.

Wifi, I never had an issue with wifi at home or my work. That could be something with the hardware your work uses.

There are tons of gallery style apps on the app store. Thats the great thing about Android, if you don't like a built in app, you can use something else to do its job.

I hate to say it, but it sounds like the issues you are having may involve you as part of the issue.

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score

I really wish you had found DroidForums earlier, btw welcome. There are plenty of people here that would have assisted you in rectifying your phone issues. For instance, using backup assistant on an Android phone is a waste of time, considering it's already backed up on Google's servers. Even still, there are free contact backup apps you can install.

The Lag you experienced is a cry from your device that it needs a Factory reset. Yes, there could be hardware issues going on, but a Factory reset is the first step to solving most of your issues. Do you know how?

If you were to upgrade to any Motorola phone, I would say upgrade to the Moto X, because it's assembled in the USA, and that is good.

TatDroid

Reaction score
*scratches head and wonders what srd's issues have to do with the new Moto G*

AECRADIO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
1.Moto-G, Droid-X, 3.Droid 2
Twitter
@AECRADIO
DELETED....
Not relevant to the actual topic!

My apologies!

Last edited:

srd

Reaction score
To reboot, you power off the phone, then once all lights and screen is dark, you press and hold the 'home' button while pressing the top power button, releasing the 'home' button only AFTER you have pressed and released the power button (to ensure phone starts in bootloader mode, then you must press BOTH the volume UP and DOWN buttons simultaneously, and this will bring up the blue 'Android System Recovery' menu.
You should see the following:
reboot system now
apply update from sdcard
wipe data/factory reset
wipe cache partition

Select reboot system now option from the menu(using the volume buttons), press the power button and wait for the phone to go through its P.O.S.T (power on, self test) and then once the phone has fully rebooted, you can once again, test the functionality of your apps and see if your problems have been eliminated with this simple first test.

If you are still having problems, you will need to dig deeper, and possibly root your phone to gain access to the root files. Once you are rooted, you should download ROM TOOLBOX and BUSYBOX, and install these two apps. Please look up the information on how to utilize these two apps properly, or you will have more problems than you wished for.
As an added note, I would also pay for Titanium Backup Pro, but you must be rooted to use any of the apps I mentioned.
You can locate the one click root file here, or on XDA-Developers, this is called: FRAMAROOT, this is a one-click root method that is fast, easy and works on the Droid-X.
Please submit your progress so others can assist you if necessary.
I have two Droid-X models, and we never had the issues you experienced, so I assume it is from a faulty app, or a previous flash that went badly and was never corrected.
Search the older posts here, in the DroidX forums for those with similar issues and problems, I am certain someone can help you regain full use of your phone once again.
Go here for the information you seek: Droid X Tech Support

Good luck!

I can figure out how to reset the phone. If I had the patience, I could figure out how to take it apart, erase all the flashes, and install my own custom version of linux to compete with Android. What I can or cannot do is NOT the point. The point is that I should not have to do anything to recover full functionality of a phone. Suppose your car stopped. You call Ford. They tell you to back it up following your reverse path to the dealer you bought it from 3 years earlier. Or suppose they tell you to take the interior out, and return it to the dealer to have a new interior put in.

It is a major failing of this industry that you cannot offload all you data and applications from a phone, push a button and have them all restored to working order when something goes wrong. There are too many hackers running the show who expect everyone else to hack right along with them. Its a carry over from the warranty-less PC. "Every man for himself."

Whoever is first gets the market share and the gold. So if there is competition, cut corners on the testing to be first. If they have complex features match them even if there is no time to prove they are bullet proof. Let the user find the bugs, set up a forum to humor them along when they are stuck and do not know someone else who can fix it for them. "Computers are complex, deal with it."

Yeh, I don't buy that - Motorola's products, or at least this one, sucked from the get-go, and then they went on to the next one (and the next....) leaving me and many others without solutions. Why fix the old one when you can sell them another new one with MO BETTA features?

IIGood

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Galaxy S6
Sooo...back to the topic at hand...

The Moto G is just going to be basically a watered-down Moto X? For half the price? Hmm...I like what the Moto X has to offer but not crazy about that $600 full-retail price tag. This budget-friendly variant may change my mind.