Motorola Reverses Policy; Unlocking Bootloader Won't Void Warranty & More

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Moto-X-Dev-Edition-GSM.png

Developers and modding enthusiasts can do a happy dance today. Motorola just had a couple of big policy reversals on their Developer Edition products. Now, it will no longer void the factory warranty if you unlock your bootloader on a Motorola Developer Edition device. That's not all. Motorola will also be hosting the Factory images for these devices on their website for you to download.

Before this, Moto's policy was extremely strict and voided a warranty if you simply unlocked the bootloader. Now, the warranty will only be voided if you do some tinkering after the bootloader unlocking which ends up as the root cause of any issues with the device. A good example of this is if you overclock your device and fry your chip, then it obviously won't be covered under warranty. Here's a quote from their announcement page with the full details,

You Asked, We Listened: Announcing Changes to Our Developer Edition Program

At Motorola, we’re focused on delivering the best Android experiences and the best of Google services. Over this past year, we’ve worked very hard to create ways for users to express themselves using their mobile devices. Customers who purchase Developer Edition devices want the flexibility to take this even further and tinker with the operating system. This may include creating and flashing a custom build of Android or porting one from an enthusiast community. Up until now, when a customer requested a bootloader unlock code we would void the warranty for that Developer Edition device.

We are excited to support the developer and enthusiast communities by making two key changes to the Developer Edition program:

• Requesting an unlock code will no longer void the device’s warranty
  • We will start posting return-to-factory software images

For customers who have previously purchased a 2012 or 2013 Developer Edition device directly from Motorola and who have requested a bootloader unlock code, we will reinstate the warranty effective from the date of original purchase. (You’ll recognize these models because they come with a printed “Developer Edition” across the back and include the Moto X DE (for GSM networks), Moto X DE (for Verizon), and Droid Maxx DE (Verizon).)

In addition, recovery images (as shipped from the factory) will be posted here. A developer or enthusiast can use this image to restore their device to run with its original factory software.

We hope that you like these changes. Keep telling us what you think (you can use the comments section below or participate in one of the many G+ forums such as Moto X).

We strongly believe in the developer and enthusiast communities and intend to keep making changes to better support them.

Posted by Punit Soni, Software Product Management

We have too things to say regarding this. One, how very "Googley" of them. Two, it's about time.

Source: Motorola

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Keep it up and my next phone could be a motorola.

Lesandwiches

Reaction score
Hopefully, this means that my Limited Edition Droid RAZR MAXX HD with an unlocked bootloader is back in business

djspy

Reaction score
If only it was $499 like the "normal" version instead of $649. I would buy it today.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Huge leap forward in support for doing what you want with the phone you own. I just wish it extended to non-developer editions, i.e. mainstream phones like mine. Still, as we chip away at this slowly, we make progress toward a totally open platform (something it was supposed to be from the beginning).

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Huge leap forward in support for doing what you want with the phone you own. I just wish it extended to non-developer editions, i.e. mainstream phones like mine. Still, as we chip away at this slowly, we make progress toward a totally open platform (something it was supposed to be from the beginning).

I can understand why they will not do that for carrier subsidized phones as technically the carrier has a say since they footing the bill up front. So I do not expect that to change. But really glad they doing that for developer phones.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Motorola needs more signature phones (ie Galaxy, iPhone, htc one) that they release for all carriers.

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Tapatalk 2

MissionImprobable

Silver Member
Reaction score
This may give them some new life, though this likely will not decide how development proceeds on their devices. The Note 3 has its warranty voided as soon as you trip Knox, and it only has a 30 day warranty to begin with, yet Devs are hungry to work on it. The Moto X hasn't seen very much love at all, and I don't think the BL policy is the main source of this.

Good step in the right direction by Moto in general. Having the recovery images easily available is how it should be for all developer devices.

AECRADIO

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
1.Moto-G, Droid-X, 3.Droid 2
Twitter
@AECRADIO
What we get, is what 'they' wish us to have, currently.
If we are to gain open access to all devices, then I hope that everybody can step away from the subsidized phones we have been acclimated to accept.
The routine control over our phones, and even more once off subsidy is a huge issue. Once paid off, all carriers should be required by law to unlock, whether they want to or not, the phones are now private property and should no longer be held hostage by any carrier, the reason is no longer valid.
I know the FCC has made some 'movement' in this area, but, the FCC does not have the authority to create laws, but working with the carriers towards a policy of freeing up paid devices will generate good will towards all carriers, and follow the model used in Europe and other locations. The days of locking devices really needs to be placed well behind us.
And one day, I hope my wife and I can afford to spend $1,000.00 for a pair of developer edition Moto-X phones. Their move is the way everybody needs to be heading.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
:icon_ laughup::gotmyvote: