Verizon Galaxy S5 Bootloader Unlock Petition Reaches 1,000 signatures, Samsung Rolls Eyes!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
2UvKOCf.jpg

Since the release of the Galaxy S5 there has been a petition to allow S5 users to unlock their bootloader at will. The idea behind this is, "The device is ours so we should be able to do with it what we like. If you are worried that we will mess up our very own device then void our warranty once we make the decision to unlock our bootloader." This has been the mantra of Verizon device users for the past several years. OEMs have overwhelming responded by releasing "developer edition" devices and otherwise have NEVER released a method for unlocking the bootloader on a consumer edition device. Pretty much every device since the Motorola Droid X has had a petition and as stated none have seen an official bootloader unlock.

Do these types of petitions make a difference? I don't know ask the RAZR HD users who ended up with an unofficial bootloader unlocking method at the hands of developer Dan Rosenburg aka "DjrBliss". Either way these petitions give consumers an outlet to vent and let their voices be heard whether they make a difference or not. They also serve as an interest gauge to would be Bootloader unlock developers. Head to the link below to sign the petition if you so desire.

via XDA

Last edited by a moderator:

johnomaz

Silver Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2XL
Samsung can't do anything. Verizon wanted it and they had to give them the product they wanted. People need to just leave Verizon already.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
With customers having an option with unlocked devices like the nexus I can not see carriers and manufacturers going backwards. If you want an unlocked bootloader buy a nexus or developer phone because things are going to get tougher now Google is on board with encrypting devices.
Buying anything other than a developer device or nexus and complaining about locked bootloaders would be like going to KFC and complaining about why they serve chicken, you knew what you was getting into when you walked in. The people who care about bootloaders ought to know by now as we been at this since the droid x and droid 2 days.

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk 2

Tonik

Reaction score
I fully endorse the post above mine. If I had a sig turned on it would mention my nexus 6.

kinfolk248

Reaction score
The only thing I have a phone with what @pc474 said is developer editions 'usually' are released months after initial phone release, which is a joke in itself! They only do that to lessen the attention on developer edition phones, I mean you can go to Vzw website you will NOT find a single developer edition phone on there, not one! You have to go elsewhere and purchase that bad boy for full bang... But I agree, you know what youre getting into but still. Like I've said before, you dont buy a car and the dealership say 'oh yea you cant upgrade your intake manifold and injectors', you just do it and when you burn something up....wellllll....lol

akhenax

Silver Member
Reaction score
Most people can't afford paying $500+ dollars out right for a phone, so they get it subsidized. If I am locked into a contract for 2 years buying my phone, I should be able to unlock it so that I can do with it what I please. This holds even truer if I am now out of contract.

If the developer addition of the phone was made available subsidized, then this would be a non issue.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Most people can't afford paying $500+ dollars out right for a phone, so they get it subsidized. If I am locked into a contract for 2 years buying my phone, I should be able to unlock it so that I can do with it what I please. This holds even truer if I am now out of contract.

If the developer addition of the phone was made available subsidized, then this would be a non issue.

But there are ways around that. Take the nexus 6 which is 749.

• You can pay full price
  • Go to best buy (@smalltowngirl13 bought hers through best buy) and buy it on a best buy card and pay monthly payments. By doing it that way you can keep unlimited data if you are on Verizon and if you bought the At&t model to unlock and use on Verizon you still can use insurance through best buy.
  • Wait: The G3, S5, Note 4, and One+ were all tempting devices (some in its own right better in some area) but I knew I wanted another Nexus so I just waited it out. I say the same in if you are one who, like me, who demand a device with the option to unlock the bootloader then wait for phones that give you that option. Even on this forum which was big into rooting have people who now could care less about rooting. They have grown weary of chasing down files to push to their phone. All they want is a phone with the bells and whistles that works out of the box (retired superusers).

No, you are not guaranteed to have the option for a developer device for every phone but they will get sprinkled here and there particularly through Verizon. The problem with developer devices is there is not enough people who care about it. People say they do but when it come to the numbers lip service is not backed with purchases. Had developer devices been selling like hot cakes do you not think manufacturers would make that a thing?
Carriers and manufacturers save and make money by locking the devices. I am just thankful we have an option because those of us back during the Verizon Droid X/2 days did not. All we had were locked bootloaders and bloat now we have an option. Hopefully more device manufacturers do like Google with the nexus and equip their phones to work on all carriers. Could you imagine if a device like One +, BLU, or even the big names (Sammy, LG, HTC, Moto) made one device that worked for all?

Last edited:

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
With customers having an option with unlocked devices like the nexus I can not see carriers and manufacturers going backwards. If you want an unlocked bootloader buy a nexus or developer phone because things are going to get tougher now Google is on board with encrypting devices.
Buying anything other than a developer device or nexus and complaining about locked bootloaders would be like going to KFC and complaining about why they serve chicken, you knew what you was getting into when you walked in. The people who care about bootloaders ought to know by now as we been at this since the droid x and droid 2 days.

Nexus devices don't allow for SD cards... that's a deal breaker for me.

Buying a phone and not being able to unlock it is more like buying a laptop from bestbuy and being told you can't install linux on it.... because they don't want you to ruin it for everyone else.. what? my installing linux will ruin the experience for everyone else?

Sorry not buying it. VZW doesn't allow us to unlock because they flat out don't feel they have to, they've gamed the system in their favor and we, the consumers, have allowed them to. Then when we complain about not being allowed full access to our devices Big Red gives us BS excuses to make it sound like there's an actual reason. There isn't they just want to control it because they can.

I for one will keep buying phones as long as I can get root on them. The bootloader is a non-issue for me. If there's a root exploit or the ability to get root regardless of the bootloader I'm in 100%

Reactions: cr6

Ollie

Droid Does
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Note Edge - iPhone 6 Plus
All phones should be developer phones IMO, but most people should not have that power. Heck, most people don't need root. If everyone understood the power of root then locked down phones would disappear due to popular demand.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Nexus devices don't allow for SD cards... that's a deal breaker for me.

Buying a phone and not being able to unlock it is more like buying a laptop from bestbuy and being told you can't install linux on it.... because they don't want you to ruin it for everyone else.. what? my installing linux will ruin the experience for everyone else?

Sorry not buying it. VZW doesn't allow us to unlock because they flat out don't feel they have to, they've gamed the system in their favor and we, the consumers, have allowed them to. Then when we complain about not being allowed full access to our devices Big Red gives us BS excuses to make it sound like there's an actual reason. There isn't they just want to control it because they can.

I for one will keep buying phones as long as I can get root on them. The bootloader is a non-issue for me. If there's a root exploit or the ability to get root regardless of the bootloader I'm in 100%

I hear you and fought that fight since the DX days. No matter how loud we yell and how often we point to PCs the manufacturers are not budging. And frankly when we had a chance to buy developer and GPE devices (with sd cards) we did not show up. So for those small percentage of us that care we have a few select devices. And I understand many people's feelings about external sd cards but I been ok with out one with my nexus 5 and nexus 6 thanks to Nexus Media Importer - Android Apps on Google Play

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I've thought about cases with built in SD card slots... seems like a lot to get something that should be stock, I probably will do just that, the nexus 6 is very nice.

Honestly I think the Z3V will be my next device... dedicated camera button, SD card. water proof... etc etc.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I've thought about cases with built in SD card slots... seems like a lot to get something that should be stock, I probably will do just that, the nexus 6 is very nice.

Honestly I think the Z3V will be my next device... dedicated camera button, SD card. water proof... etc etc.
The nexus 6 camera is actually pretty good with the exception of low light conditions where you can see a lot of noise in the shot. But from what we had on nexus devices before I'm digging the camera. As far as SD card I just keep a dual USB pen drive on my keychain. I rarely need it except for the occasional documents. Then again I do not play a lot of games or store movies on my phone.

Sony is embracing openness on their devices, not sure if it is the case for the Verizon version.