Motorola gives Google the boot, turns to Skyhook for location services

R

Romple

There are likely a lot of things people thought Google would never do. I still remember back when Google was just another search engine I'd never even heard of until a super geek friend of mine told me about it; now look at them...

Well they have so much cash they can afford to have hobbies. Some turn into great things like Android. But developing hardware is such a radical departure from what they do now it's extremely unlikely.

And when they come out with a "google phone" (the N1), they still just offloaded it to HTC.

Yodes thanks for the logo :-D

natty_lite

Reaction score
Doesn't matter. Sooner or later, Google will put Motorola out of business along with everyone else.

Until they start making their own hardware, which they'll probably never do, I highly doubt this. Unless you're just going with a Skynet theory, which I'd fully support.

Google's facilitating device manufacturers now. Where was Moto before the Droid? Did people really know about HTC before they started making phones for Android?

Google putting a hardware manufacturer out of business would be counterproductive to their business strategy; which is to get as many people on the internet as possible.
HTC was pretty much the premiere manufacturer for Windows Mobile devices. They still are as a matter of fact. Their HTC Sense software debuted on a Windows Mobile device.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
+1 to what natty_lite said.

Android did not make, or break HTC.

R

Romple

I know that, you know that, but WinMo has basically been a nonplayer in the new consumer market.

I just meant Google literally handed them an OS that made them mainstream to consumers.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Well, thats not really accurate either. HTC is/has been huge, just not in the US.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Do you feel threatened that you were corrected? ;)

Relax.

R

Romple

Nope. Unless you're standing behind me with something heavy :-(

And I wasn't really corrected. You guys just inferred something other than what I implied. Which is fine.

adrynalyne

Premium Member
Premium Member
Developer
Reaction score
Dang...

*Takes his bat and goes home*

Sorry, wasn't trying to be argumentative. I'm just like that sometimes.

pigpen

Reaction score
So is there a moto/droid app that utilizes the skyhook technologies yet ? or is this something that is only going to be utilized on phones created in the future? or it will be incorporated into the google maps/nav app down the road? or all of the above ? doesn't our droid phones already utilize hotspots and routers for gps ? in settings and location on my phone, i have both boxes checked to determine location.

eliassami5

Reaction score
So is there a moto/droid app that utilizes the skyhook technologies yet ? or is this something that is only going to be utilized on phones created in the future? or it will be incorporated into the google maps/nav app down the road? or all of the above ? doesn't our droid phones already utilize hotspots and routers for gps ? in settings and location on my phone, i have both boxes checked to determine location.

^^this

I need clarification people!! lol but at first i thought Moto was dropping google nav altogether, now i realize that they are just dropping the locating system.

But how reliable are wifi hotspots? are they using like coffee shop wifi spots to determine locations or something more concrete and would not change? It would seem like a disadvantage to me, and most people use gps outside anyway, why make a big deal out of trying to find our location inside a building. I dont know how this will pan out but im listening.