Motorola Abandoning Google Location Services for Skyhook

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
w8zPTL.jpg
miPMn.jpg

As Motorola continues to pump out dozens of new Android-based devices throughout 2010, the company has seemingly turned its back on Google for one of its mainstay services, location. Today, Motorola announced that it will no longer be using Google Location Services, but instead will turn to the private startup Skyhook Wireless for this function. The reasoning is not quite clear, but Motorola believes that Skyhook's hybrid positioning technology is far superior to what Google has implemented natively in Android. We wonder how this will affect the use of Google Maps on upcoming Motorola devices, and if this will hinder ...
Read the entire article here...

And on that note, we at DroidBlog are interested in your opinions of Google’s Location Services. What are the problems that you have seen with them? How would you like these services improved in the future? Do you think it is a smart move by Motorola to break away from Google here?

Timbocom

Reaction score
Navigation & Directions????

I have a lot of trouble getting from a point on the map to getting directions to it in the map application. When you ask for directions, it loses the point you had illustrated on the map and you end up with two blanks to fill in, where you are and where you want to go. What is the point of a voice search if you cant go there?
The voice search application is awesome but I hate having to write down the address I find and then input it into the directions "To" box while I'm driving down the road.

The droid gets quite warm when using the GPS for navigation.

beejaycee

Reaction score
Timbocom;431761When you ask for directions said:
If I understand you correctly, I think you are making the same mistake I was. When you do the search and the location pops up on the map, don't use the Menu key at the base of the screen to get directions. Instead, tap the name that popped up on the map. That should give you a pop-up menu for directions or navigation. When you make the selection from there, everything should be filled in for you.

beejaycee

Reaction score
"Directions" is just that - a written list of directions on how to get from Pt. A to Pt. B. "Navigation" pops up the map with an icon representing your present location and you get vocal guidance on when/where to turn as you drive.

jsh1120

Silver Member
Reaction score
This announcement coupled with the decision to drop the Nexus One from the Verizon lineup suggests a definite chill in the VZW/Google relationship.

Chillson

Reaction score
This announcement coupled with the decision to drop the Nexus One from the Verizon lineup suggests a definite chill in the VZW/Google relationship.

I beg to differ. I would see this as something that has to do with Motorola/Google partnership if anything. And I think it was a logical reason not to pin the Nexus One against the HTC Incredible. Pound for pound on features, the Incredible would be a better choice.

And if this change hinders any Google/Android based service for worse in any way shape or form, then Motorola has got some serious balls and will once again be back on the chopping block.

OP
W

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score

I beg to differ. I would see this as something that has to do with Motorola/Google partnership if anything. And I think it was a logical reason not to pin the Nexus One against the HTC Incredible. Pound for pound on features, the Incredible would be a better choice.

And if this change hinders any Google/Android based service for worse in any way shape or form, then Motorola has got some serious balls and will once again be back on the chopping block.

agreed, this has little to nothing to do with Google and Verizon... it's solely a Motorola vs Google scenario...

Chillson

Reaction score
Though, reading about this a little more across the internet, it seems that this will primarily help just with location itself. Making Google Maps that much more accurate?

OP
W

wuyanks

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Though, reading about this a little more across the internet, it seems that this will primarily help just with location itself. Making Google Maps that much more accurate?

very possibly. however... google will only improve their location services... it is relatively new after all... i think this is more of one company defying another... it really feels like a statement, that Android is open-source, so we can do anything with it

dos

Reaction score
It will interesting to see how this all plays out. I am going to take a wait and see approach. All could just be fine with this change, and the hype is just that, hype. The problems that could arise is with more Android fragmentation, which Google wants to move away from. My question is with software updates, or Google maps update, will we require a additional update from Skyhook? My navigation and location seems to work pretty good, I have no real complaints, every now and then it takes awhile to locate, or route for the nav.

Varking

Reaction score
I don't see this really affecting me. I can always just download Google Maps through the Market and choose to not use Skyhook.

HarshReality

Reaction score
Sorry to resurrect an older thread but I was given the believe that this would be happening in 2.2. GPS accuracy with google maps is still 'within 5000 feet' so has this not been implemented in 2.2 or dropped altogether?

zMd113

Reaction score
Sounds like suicide for Motorola, they'll be back. Google is boss!