Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX HD Crushes All Comers in Battery Life Tests

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
razr-maxx-hd.jpg

This report likely comes as no surprise, yet is still worth noting. The new Motorola Droid RAZR MAXX HD recently scored massive victories against the competition in battery life testing. Here's a quote with some details,

I did several battery-drain tests on the Droid Razr Maxx HD. First, I simulated a continuous voice call with Wi-Fi on, allowing the screen to time out after 30 seconds, and the smartphone offered 22 hours of talk time — an hour short of Motorola’s claims, but still impressive.

By comparison, Apple’s estimate for the iPhone 5 is up to eight hours of talk time, while the Samsung Galaxy S III is estimated at up to 17 hours.

In another test, I played a loop of video that I downloaded from the Google Play store. With the screen brightness set at 75 percent, and with Wi-Fi on and email running in the background, the Droid Razr Maxx HD lasted 13 hours before displaying a “low battery” alert.

Of course, those tests don’t really simulate how we use smartphones in the real world, so I also kept note of battery life during day-to-day use. With moderate use — checking email and social networks, listening to music, browsing several Web sites and streaming a couple of YouTube videos over Verizon’s 4G LTE network, I was able to go about a day and a half before I needed to recharge. Meanwhile, my colleague Walt Mossberg got between nine and 12 hours of battery life from the iPhone 5 with mixed use.

To see how it would hold up, I also added more power-hungry tasks, such as GPS navigation, playing games and streaming longer videos, and the smartphone was able to hang in for almost 24 hours. When I use similar apps on my iPhone 4, I’m usually scrambling for my charger after about eight hours or less.

This new report confirms what we already knew: the RAZR MAXX HD is the de facto king of battery life in smartphones, and it definitely lives up to its name.

Source: AllthingsD

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
Motorola is firing on many cylinders very well - build quality is IMHO unmatched, radios are the industry's trendsetter and best in class, batteries in the MAXX (both HD and OG) as well as comparably in the RAZR (M & OG) are unparalleled for their respective physical size, dimensions and laminated manufacturing technology (making them so thin), were a crushing blow to the industry and sparked an entirely new design trend throughout, low footprint of Blur (less obtrusive now than in the past and in many cases - again IMHO provide valuable functionality such as the Motocast), etc.

We just need them to tune up the engines so they fire on ALL cylinders. Their cameras get mixed reviews and the screens are less than stellar (though quite serviceable), being lower resolution than much of the competition and with Pentile arrangements where although they have tremendous contrast and "POP", visible pixelation or "screen" have been a concern for some. They could also step up the raw processing and graphics processing power a bit given what the competition is putting out.

Last edited: