Motorola Droid now or Wait for Droid 2?

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
I thoiught I saw a commercial on tv yesterday 5-30-10 for a new droid , it was made by HTC and loked very nice , is that it ?
Are you talking about the HTC Incredible commercial? If yes, then no, that's not the Motorola Droid 2 (or whatever it's going to be called). ;)

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

snowman

Reaction score
no thats what was weird they called it the HTC Droid
or the new HTC droid

Darkseider

Reaction score
no thats what was weird they called it the HTC Droid
or the new HTC droid

Yes the Droid Incredible by HTC. Verizon is pushing the "Droid" brand name. Although I find it a little odd that certain Android devices lack the "Droid" branding like the Devour and LG Ally. I am wondering if Verizon is only using it to define the higher end phones, Eris excluded because it was their first Android phone. We'll see if this holds true with the next round of Motorola releases.

jboucheb

Reaction score
Question about bought applications

When the Droid 2 comes out and I buy it, will all my purchased applications appear on my new Droid or I have to dish out money again??

cperk2829

Reaction score
Okay, so we're looking at maybe the first or middle of July before release. I am up for a renewal right now and was so ready to get the Incredible. I may just wait a couple more weeks to see if anymore info comes out. If anyone hears of an earlier release please let me know

Last edited:

EmpireWF

Reaction score
Okay, so we're looking at maybe the first or middle of July before release. I am up for a renewal right now and was so ready to get the Incredible. I may just wait a couple more weeks to see if anymore info comes out. If anyone hears of an earlier release please let me know

We are?

I'm thinking the 2nd Droid will hit closer to the holiday season.

JoeJxn

Reaction score
The price is dropping to $100 and Verizon is doing Buy One Get One Free for the Droid, so I'm assuming they're trying to clear their inventory for a new phone

debdroid1a

Reaction score
Sure a rumor is a rumor, is it worth the wait?
Worth is always subjective. Personally, I don't find rumors worth relying on unless my purchase timeframe is several months out. YMMV, of course.

IMO almost any Android device would be a huge step up from an 83xx series Blackberry (I had an 8310). Try the Droid. If you're not amazed by it then return it and wait. June starts in 3 days. You have 30 days to return if the June rumor is accurate.

I thought about this, the problem I see is if the rumors are true, then I am back to the Blackberry for a month or so (which would suck) and if when it comes out Verizon charges oh lets say $300, now I'll be back with the Motorola Droid 1. I guess on the same note if I did decide to still go with the Droid 1 by then it may have dropped in price, and even if the Droid 2 is a reasonable price there might be a waiting period. hmmmm choices!

My thing is I am as excited to get one as you guys are to own one. So the wait is killing me even to go out right now and pick one up. I know the main issue the Droid 2 is suppose to cover is an enhanced QWERTY keyboard, however I'm not sure if I would have alot of trouble with the Droid's current keyboard? Also I know they are enhancing the processing speed, yet every person who has shown me a droid has told me that it's fast, and I've seen it run an app/ surf the web and it is fast IMO.

But will they have a Droid 1 and 2? I don't think they would. I had an Env2 and they replaced that with the Env3, no Env2's after that. I suppose you could find some clearance ones, so you might get lucky if they have them. Or in certain stores that don't have the Droid 2 right after it comes out.

I don't know if you should wait or not. I couldn't. But my previous phone wasn't a smart phone and I got tired of that (not being able to go to links although I had web access was one major one). I got mine the day my contract was up (or the day after, I don't know how that worked--just the day I was able to).

I don't have a problem with the keyboard too much. But I've gotten use to using one finger on searches with the small touch keyboard. For longer texts I use the slide out keyboard.

Yianaki

Reaction score
I purchased my moto droid two or three weeks after the Nexus 1 came out. Sure the Nexus one was little better but after rooting my Droid there isn't much of a difference between the two. Whenever you get something newer there are still going to be things the older version did better. For instance the droid screen is better in sunlight vs Nexus. There are always going to be better phones just about to come out you could always wait till the next one and so on.

I got a one year contract on my moto droid for 20 bucks more than the two year contract. I would just grab that if you could find it, I got mine on the online Verizon store. Also see maybe if your workplace has a discount with Verizon. I got the discount not because they were our wireless provider but as they were our wired local service provider.

The new CPU will only be 600mhz I hear which isn't that great. Everyone can overclock their droid to at least 800 mhz with no problems or noticeable decrease in battery life. The only thing would give you pause if you needed the HDMI but I can live without that myself.

With the custom ROMs (I recommend Bugless Beast, it just works) and skins you can have a new phone basically whenever you feel like. There is such a large Moto Droid community it is sure to get a lot of rom support for some time.

cperk2829

Reaction score
Okay, so I may go ahead and get the Incredible. I'm a truck driver and on the road right now. I will get home Wednesday. Can I go to Verizon and pick one up? I'm asking if they should have them in stock or can I go to Best Buy (as I saw someone mention)? I'm so ready to be a part of Droid nation, if they don't have the Incredible in stock, I may just get the Motorola Droid. I only get home twice a month and can't wait another 14 days to get one. Will I go wrong with the Droid 1?

pilot25

Reaction score
Okay, so I may go ahead and get the Incredible. I'm a truck driver and on the road right now. I will get home Wednesday. Can I go to Verizon and pick one up? I'm asking if they should have them in stock or can I go to Best Buy (as I saw someone mention)? I'm so ready to be a part of Droid nation, if they don't have the Incredible in stock, I may just get the Motorola Droid. I only get home twice a month and can't wait another 14 days to get one. Will I go wrong with the Droid 1?

Don't get Droid 1. It's an old handset that is still good but you are in a position to get the latest and greatest. If price isn't a problem get the best you can.

greg_p

Reaction score
Droid 2 should be at least 700~800Mhz with some performance increase, I think...

kmarmet

Reaction score
from my perspective I would just buy the droid. I can almost guarantee that tbe d2 will be almost the same as the original with MINOR speed modifications. the droid is updating all the time and froyo is supposed to have a major speed increase. not to mention they are only $199, buy one get one free. which is nuts. and who really knows when the droid two is ACTUALLY going to come out. so I would go with the original

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

greg_p

Reaction score
Droid 2 will have Hdmi, and some good speed improvements. I don't wait to be really faster than the droid, but 3630 is 45nm technology, which allow less consumption and probably more Mhz...

CityLightsOZ

Reaction score
If there is a Best Buy near your home, Best Buy has the Droid 1 for $99 no mail in rebates or anything. $99 out the door. They always have the best price for new devices cause they don't associate themselves with mail-in rebates. They also have a 30 day return policy.