Motorola Droid now or Wait for Droid 2?

st3V3

Reaction score
I am finally done with my Blackberry Curve 8330 and am moving up to a Droid. However as much as I want to go out tomorrow to buy one (seriously am ready to go to Verizon tomorrow) I have heard a possible unveil of the Droid 2 in June. Sure a rumor is a rumor, is it worth the wait? You think I would pay more than $200 for a Droid 2 w/ 2 yr contract?

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
Personally I would wait.

You can always get the Droid 1 : )

Droids

Reaction score
Yeah, it's definitely worth the short wait at this point. I'd hold out. The cost should be 200 with the contract if you buy online. Buying it at the store will likely cost 300 with a 100 rebate. Wait.

peterjariel

Reaction score
I would def. Wait that Droid looks sick and it has the hdmi port.....

Droids

Reaction score
The Shadow has the HDMI port, I don't think we know yet if the D2 has that. We know it will have a faster processor but don't know for sure which. We know the chin is different, probably looks like the lower end of the Shadow. We know the camera and volume controls are recessed a bit. We know it has the same size screen as the original. We know we want it.

Still, no one is leaking real info on a release date, but it sure sounds like a July release. Even if you're ready to throw that BB at a wall, I would wait at least until July 1st. One more month and we should have much better info on both the Shadow and the D2.

Edit: We also know the D2 will have a much better physical keyboard.

Last edited:

peterjariel

Reaction score
The Shadow has the HDMI port, I don't think we know yet if the D2 has that. We know it will have a faster processor but don't know for sure which. We know the chin is different, probably looks like the lower end of the Shadow. We know the camera and volume controls are recessed a bit. We know it has the same size screen as the original. We know we want it.

Still, no one is leaking real info on a release date, but it sure sounds like a July release. Even if you're ready to throw that BB at a wall, I would wait at least until July 1st. One more month and we should have much better info on both the Shadow and the D2.

Edit: We also know the D2 will have a much better physical keyboard.
Oh dam I thought the shadow was D2 wow I'm lost now you have a link to this D2.

JonKyu

Silver Member
Reaction score
DEFINITELY Wait. According to some talk Motorola is coming out with two phones soon.

takeshi

Silver Member
Reaction score
Sure a rumor is a rumor, is it worth the wait?
Worth is always subjective. Personally, I don't find rumors worth relying on unless my purchase timeframe is several months out. YMMV, of course.

IMO almost any Android device would be a huge step up from an 83xx series Blackberry (I had an 8310). Try the Droid. If you're not amazed by it then return it and wait. June starts in 3 days. You have 30 days to return if the June rumor is accurate.

Last edited:
OP
S

st3V3

Reaction score
Sure a rumor is a rumor, is it worth the wait?
Worth is always subjective. Personally, I don't find rumors worth relying on unless my purchase timeframe is several months out. YMMV, of course.

IMO almost any Android device would be a huge step up from an 83xx series Blackberry (I had an 8310). Try the Droid. If you're not amazed by it then return it and wait. June starts in 3 days. You have 30 days to return if the June rumor is accurate.

I thought about this, the problem I see is if the rumors are true, then I am back to the Blackberry for a month or so (which would suck) and if when it comes out Verizon charges oh lets say $300, now I'll be back with the Motorola Droid 1. I guess on the same note if I did decide to still go with the Droid 1 by then it may have dropped in price, and even if the Droid 2 is a reasonable price there might be a waiting period. hmmmm choices!

My thing is I am as excited to get one as you guys are to own one. So the wait is killing me even to go out right now and pick one up. I know the main issue the Droid 2 is suppose to cover is an enhanced QWERTY keyboard, however I'm not sure if I would have alot of trouble with the Droid's current keyboard? Also I know they are enhancing the processing speed, yet every person who has shown me a droid has told me that it's fast, and I've seen it run an app/ surf the web and it is fast IMO.

Last edited:
Reaction score
If you're new to Verizon you can get a Moto Droid for $19.99 about $35 total to get it turned on. I took the ad to Verizon and the guy was rude and not very helpful(this is normal no matter carrier you use.) but said yeah it was legit and if I bought it in the store it would be $250 minus the rebate.

Oh Kay, good way to make a sale buddy! I went home ordered it off the amazon website. I now have a happy 2.1 moto droid and just loving it. Good stuff is on the horizon though, so I can see why you would want to wait.

If a "I gotta have it" phone I don't have that much in it.

OP
S

st3V3

Reaction score
If you're new to Verizon you can get a Moto Droid for $19.99 about $35 total to get it turned on. I took the ad to Verizon and the guy was rude and not very helpful(this is normal no matter carrier you use.) but said yeah it was legit and if I bought it in the store it would be $250 minus the rebate.

Oh Kay, good way to make a sale buddy! I went home ordered it off the amazon website. I now have a happy 2.1 moto droid and just loving it. Good stuff is on the horizon though, so I can see why you would want to wait.

If a "I gotta have it" phone I don't have that much in it.

So you were new to Verizon? Cause I have been a customer for over 2 years now, so idk if this would work. Would be great if it would work.

snowman

Reaction score
I thoiught I saw a commercial on tv yesterday 5-30-10 for a new droid , it was made by HTC and loked very nice , is that it ?