Motorola Droid Case Reviews

Still by far the cheapest option out there. I'm sure it costs more than $9.00 to produce in the first place.

I agree. So how do you like yours so far? Does it attract lint?

I also ordered one of their wallets to justify the shipping charge. Heck I'm interested in a bag for my DSLR now too...what did you do to me?! :icon_eek::)

EDIT: Made in the USA is a big point for me as well...

[video=youtube;mSI8vJsOs9U]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSI8vJsOs9U[/video]

This is what I have but not pink, and honestly it's a major pain in the ass. The top right corner of the back piece keeps coming loose, and it's impossible to take the phone out of my pocket.

And the first day I decided not to have it on... I dropped it. :mad:

So now I compromised with myself and I just have the bottom piece on.

EDIT: Sorry about the youtube vid, it's the only one I could find.

Sent a request to check in to Sena cases... Here is the response I got..

Update for Case #21403 - "Case Fit."

Dear John,

Thank you for your interest in Sena Cases.

We will be making custom cases for the Motorola Droid.
However, the release date is still TBD. Please check back in the coming weeks.
We appreciate your business and apologize for any inconvenience.

Sincerely,
Randi Weden
Support, SENA CASES
Phone: (714)-505-8312 or 1-888-SENA-USA
Fax: (714)-505-8322
Email: [email protected]

I have the body glove. Took a small file to the tabs and 1 min later easy on and off. Go slow and check. Works great now.

Thanks for the info and pictures. I purchased the Case Logic at Target as well for $19.99. The phone does NOT go into car or multimedia mode when placed into the case with the screen facing in or out as you described in your posts.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mSI8vJsOs9U

This is what I have but not pink, and honestly it's a major pain in the ass. The top right corner of the back piece keeps coming loose, and it's impossible to take the phone out of my pocket.

And the first day I decided not to have it on... I dropped it. :mad:

So now I compromised with myself and I just have the bottom piece on.

EDIT: Sorry about the youtube vid, it's the only one I could find.

I have this exact same case in Black. Bought from Verizon store for $15.00. It does protect the phone, but a pain in the a** to take it out of your pocket. The rubber is textured and also collects alot of lint. Im liking the Amzer® Hybrid Silicone Skin Jelly Case - Black For Motorola Droid A855. Hope this helps.

Here's a few pictures of the Droid in the Sena Elega Pouch for the iPhone 3G. This is a very high quality holster and the droid fits in nice and snug. Definitely not sliding out when held upside down. Case has a very nice soft microfiber type feel to it. Probably the nicest case I've ever purchased and worth the price.

ordered one after i seen your post; i agree it is a nice case. thx for posting the pics btw!

For those who are interested in the Zagg Invisible Shield...

First, it took over a full week for mine to arrive. This is not typical of Zagg shipping. I use Invisible Shield protection for all of my phones and it typically comes in 3 days or so. My guess is there was either a "run" on the supply they had or they weren't quite ready for shipping with the Droid skin when the verizon launch happened. Either way, you may have to wait over a week to get yours, too.

I opted for the "full body" version since it was only a few bucks more and I could always opt to go "screen only" when it arrived. There are quite a few pieces to this thing!

There is one large piece for the screen. (perfect fit!)
One large piece for the battery cover.
One medium piece for the back section where the camera lense is
Three small rectangular strips for the top and bottom-most sections on the back and the part of the keypay that protrudes under the top piece.
Four fitted edge pieces for the top half
Six fitted edge pieces for the bottom half (the edges where the USB and headphone jacks each are separated into two pieces.
So, a total of sixteen or so separate pieces of Invisible Shield for the "full body" protection.

I detailed all of that so you'd get a good mental image of the tedium involved in installing the shielding. It does take patience and time. It took me about 30 minutes or so and I am not a "perfectionist".

For those who are familiar with the Zagg stuff, the installation kit was a bit different. Usually, the shielding comes with a pump-sprayer with a watery solution to spray on the "sticky side" of the shielding to assist you in "sliding" the shield into place properly. Once it is in place the provided "little squeegie" is used to smooth out the large bubbles and squeeze out the solution residual. However, the Droid kit comes with a sealed plastic tray containing a sponge and the water solution. So, you apply the slippery stuff using the sponge instead of spraying it on. Not sure what the change is all about but I actually found it easier to avoid "fingerprinting" the sticky side by wetting my fingertips on the sponge before installing the shielding. Also, the "little squeegie" is replaced by a credit-card sized.. well... credit card for application. I actually disliked this quite a bit as I found it too large and unwieldy to easily effectively smooth out the bubbles.

Again, all of that so you get a decent mental picture of what to expect as you install.

Aside from the large credit-card-smoother, the application was typical of invisible shield. It is really important to use the water solution on the entire sticky side of the shilding and smooth all of the large bubble out to the edges. Once the shield starts to "set up" it is not easy to eliminate the large air bubbles.

1. "Full Coverage" is a bit liberal but it is 98% covered. The corners and sharp edges are still exposed. Plenty enough for it's purpose. but the corners can still get nicked up I supposed.
2. Once all of the shielding sets up (12-24 hours) the stuff is really almost invisible. Aside from some spots of poor installation by yours-truly it looks immaculate. it does reduce the high-gloss look of the OEM screen, though.
3) The Invisible Shield is pretty "tacky" but does not in any way interfere with the touch functionality. It is also not so tacky that you can't easliy slide your fingers and thumbs on the screen normally. And it can be wiped off with a soft cloth easily, too.
4) Because it is generally invisible I don't think it has a dramatic affect on the appearance of the Droid - a plus IMO.
5) I do not think it will interfere with the application of another gel or hard case on top of it, although I haven't tried yet. If it doesn't, it is a layer of protection for all of the plastic pieces from scratches due to the installation of the additional cover - a plus IMO. If it does then all of it can be removed and the screen piece can be left on. I recommend always using a clear screen cover.

I feel completely comfortable sliding the phone in and out of my pocket now because my histoer with teh Zagg product is that it completely protects the device from scratches. It will not protect from dings and dents due to drops or impact.

When I get a chance I'll take pictures of the remins of the kit and my phone with the shielding applied (as long as no one criticizes my installation - there are some glaring bubbles on the back part that I didnt care enough to work out.)

Overall I highly recommend at least the screen cover (they do sell the screen only). As I said, I do not think the body protection pieces would interfere with another hard-cover application but they might. I do not plan on using any other protection for the phone as it lives in my pocket, my desk or in a compartment in my car's dash panel. No worries about scratches if it slides back and forth a little while I drive, now. (It actually doesn't slide as much since the invisible shield is tacky)

"Since I don't have my phone yet, but I bought the screen protectors that VZ sells, can anyone tell me if they affect the screen sensitivity?"

VZ screen protectors are nice and screen sensitivity is fine. They have a nice two sided protection while you install that keeps them clean.

Verizon silicon cover and invisishield

I got the full body cover but couldn't deal with the side covers (too sticky) and it made the phone look bad.
Took the sides off and left the screen cover and rear covers on.
I picked up the silicon version of the Verizon case and popped it on.
It works okay. The bottom part covers the side buttons, but the are still functional.
It will work until some better solutions come online

Review of "Sharp" case from eBay

OK, this is a quick review, of another soft case that I purchased off of eBay:

318619769_o.jpg

This one came from cellularstimulas, I seem to be keeping them in business as I search for the "perfect" case, which let's face facts, is not going to happen until Senna or Vaja get their act going, but anyway, at $8, we're not talking something in a comparable price range. I think what cellularstimulas and some of the eBay sellers are doing is taking a Droid, and then seeing what existing cases fit it, and to varying degrees these all get the job done. When I bought my last phone, from HTC, they threw in a soft pouch, free, not sure why Moto couldn't have gone at least that far, and I did use the HTC case for a couple of days on the Droid, but it was just a tad short. Anyway, it's fairly similar to the cellularstimulas unit, which has a little tab saying "Sharp", so I assume that originally went with another phone or a calculator or something. The case is pretty much the standard slip case, the picture makes the edges look grey, they're not, it's all black, just the edges are smooth.

Pros

1. Big enough for the phone (nothing hangs out)
  2. A reasonable amount of padding (more protective)
  3. Pretty easy to grasp and hold (kind of a velvety feel) to get out of the pocket
  4. Inexpensive!

Cons

1. A bit wide on the phone (probably made originally for something wider) - you get a little more protection that way, and it still fits in the pocket, but it does add bulk
  2. With the better protection from the padding, comes some added thickness
  3. No real hardback type protection (just padding)
  4. Interior is very soft material (actually a Pro, you won't scratch the phone), but is not the microfiber type material that helps de-smudge the screen, as on some of the newer phone cases of this type.

So, overall, for the money, a pretty good deal, no complaints. The leather Cellet iPhone case I reviewed previously still has not loosened up, so for now, I'm using this Sharp case. Gets the job done, and is protective enough. I really don't know how these eBay guys do it for so cheap. Free shipping, delivery in a couple of days. But I guess we're 2-4 weeks away from an explosion of cases, as the various manufacturers come on-line and product becomes available.

Sena cases and sound

Greetings,
I'm just getting ready to buy a Droid, and after reading this thread, the Sena Elega looks like the solution for me.

I was wondering if anyone who has the Elega, or any other Sena case could say how much the phone being in the holster obstructs you from hearing the phone ring?

From what I've seen, that seems to be the only upside of waiting for the Sena Droid case/cases. They may have porting for the speaker.

Thanks

Back