Motorola Droid Bionic Release Date?

Steviebster

Reaction score
"Verizon brought Motorola Mobility Chief Executive Sanjay Jha on stage to show two 4G devices, including the Droid Bionic smartphone and Xoom tablet, both of which run Google's Android software and have dual-core processors. The Bionic launches in February, but won't run on 4G until an update comes in the second quarter. The Xoom also launches in teh second quarter."

This was posted in today's (1/6) Seattle Times.

altimax98

Reaction score
"Verizon brought Motorola Mobility Chief Executive Sanjay Jha on stage to show two 4G devices, including the Droid Bionic smartphone and Xoom tablet, both of which run Google's Android software and have dual-core processors. The Bionic launches in February, but won't run on 4G until an update comes in the second quarter. The Xoom also launches in teh second quarter."

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!

Im saving my pennys :)

Raptor007

Reaction score
Seriously, February with a software update for 4G in Q2. That works for me, my market doesn't have 4G yet, but with any luck will later this year.

tjoney

Reaction score
According to Verizon's website the only 4g phone they have listed is the Thunderbolt and they haven't set a release date for that yet, but I read somewhere it would be the first to be released and would be released in February. However during the Verizon press conference, when these phones were being shown, they said it would be a Q2 release for all of them.

jaycemiskel

Reaction score

I think they got the xoom and the bionic switched up.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

chuk1005

Reaction score

(I got the following info from watching the keynote yesterday)They did get it wrong the xoom is what is scheduled to launch next month with 3G and have a swap out radio that updgrades it to 4G later on, and the Bionic they said second quater.....lol @ them getting it backwards

creaky

Reaction score
April will be a long wait, especially since I've had an upgrade burning a hole in my pocket since August. I'm off contract now and may jump to AT&T if the Atrix drops significantly earlier....

fudlen

Reaction score
i am in the same boat having an upgrade ready and waiting. tempted to just pick up an incredible because I am worried they are going to charge more for data on these 4g phones

Augie

Reaction score
I'm good with my X right now and am sitting on my annual upgrade I was given back in November to pick up the Bionic. I am making it a point to keep the email too just in cast they try to say they have no record of me having a upgrade available.

I would love to see pricing on the data plans and the data caps

SnydersWeb

Reaction score

I agree. If you replace Bionic with Xoom then it is more consistent with information that has already been released. As much as I would like to get the Bionic next month I would be pleasantly stunned to see it February.

PJnc284

Reaction score
"Some as early as March" was what was said when asked about the availability of LTE devices during the CES press event.

SnydersWeb

Reaction score
I'm going to assume April-ish timeframe until I start seeing concrete evidence of March. Otherwise we're setting ourselves up for disappointment.

It is my hope that the unexpectedly longer-than-desired timeframe on it is to allow production to get the numbers out, give VZW more time to work the kinks out of it's new network, and last more time for Moto to work on the phone's software. I would much prefer to casually go into my local VZW store that morning, buy the darn phone.. walk out.. no silly overnight camping.

Also, when the D1 when it came out, while functional, was a bit "rough" compared to where it is now. Given the fact that this is new hardware, new CPU type, AND a new network.. let's just say we all should be prepared to be patient even after we get it.

avoltech

Reaction score
i am in the same boat having an upgrade ready and waiting. tempted to just pick up an incredible because I am worried they are going to charge more for data on these 4g phones

Same here afraid they will charge more for the 4G too. I would not worry if i knew i could use the 4G phones
with the 3G data plans.
And does not look like anymore new 3G phones.

Last edited:

Aram58

Reaction score
I just assumed it would be fine to not have 4g service. If you bought the phone from ebay and activated it yourself, they would only charge if you use service.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App