Motorola Declares Warranty Void if You Unlock the Bootloader on Moto X Pure

dgstorm

Editor in Chief
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
moto-x-pure-edition-customized.png

Devs and tinkerers will no-doubt be miffed about this news (although it's not really that surprising). Motorola explicitly indicated that it will void your warranty if you unlock the bootloader on your shiny new Moto X Pure Edition smartphone.

Basically, Moto just wants to make it clear that they do not consider the Moto X Pure to be a "Developer Edition." Here's their statement,

The new (2015) Moto X Pure is not a developer edition, so unlocking the bootloader does void the warranty. Sorry about the lack of clarity on this. We've been using this answer but I was double-checking it before posting.

-Matt, Forums Manager

To be fair, Matt did elaborate by saying that any purely physical problems that are obviously defects not caused by a software malfunction would still be covered by the standard warranty and Motorola's MotoCare insurance program. Of course, that gives Moto quite a bit of wiggle-room/leeway on whether a problem can be traced to software.

This probably isn't new info for most of our DroidForums vets, but it's worth sharing for any of our newer members.

Don't forget to drop by and comment in our dedicated Moto X Pure Edition section here: Moto X Pure Edition | Android Forum at DroidForums.net

Source: Moto

Last edited:

tech_head

Silver Member
Reaction score
If you brick it you own it.
But with an unlocked bootloader, it's not that easy to brick a device.
Initially they claimed all warranty void.
I brought it to their attention on the forums that the U.S. Magnuson-Moss Act says differently.
So does California consumer protection law. No matter what you sign or check in a box.

wicked

Administrator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 3 XL
Twitter
@MikeAlvez
Not a huge deal to me. As long as it can be rooted, I'm ok.

FoxKat

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2 & Galaxy S7
bootloader can be re-lock right?
I believe so but the question is, is the phone functional enough to allow relock before sending off to warranty repair, and could they tell if it was once unlocked anyway?