Motorola Announces XOOM Family Edition!

Arkbird

DF News Team
Premium Member
Reaction score
Graham_Front_Home-1.jpg

Today, Motorola announced the XOOM Family Edition! It's going to be available exclusively at Best Buy on October 16th and is priced at $379. It's a pretty good price for a tablet with Honeycomb but it's almost the exact same device as the original XOOM (wifi model) except it is loaded with family friendly apps and is cheaper to produce. Here are some specs so you can form your own opinions.
  • Runs Android 3.1 (Honeycomb)
  • 1GHz Dual Core processor (Tegra 2)
  • 10.1” HS IPS HD screen display with capacitive multi-touch
  • 5MP back camera with flash, with 720p video webcam
  • Preloaded with almost $40 worth of applications, plus Zoodles, the award-winning Kid Mode application
  • Preloaded with MotoPack by Motorola XOOM (App Downloader by Motorola)
  • Preloaded with Quickoffice Pro HD for seamless productivity at work
  • Preloaded with MotoPrint – the application that allows you to print straight from the Web browser
  • 16GB built-in memory
  • Battery lasts up to 10 hours for video playback and Web browsing
Also, this is a wifi only model so it's not tied to any carrier or service which obviously means no 3G (or 4G upgrade).

Source: Motorola

soulpatch

Reaction score
So really this is the same as the normal xoom except without the radios? Or am I missing something?

I only need wifi to use this around the house so not having 3G/4G is not needed...

bazar6

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Website
www.imbazar.me
This looks very different physically to the OG Xoom... The camera is in the top left (top center in OG), and there's one hardware button that I see on the top of the left side, as well as I think three on the left of the top side... Why would Moto use completely different pieces but only call it a different edition? Sounds like more money wasted to me... (unless they're going to use the same hardware configuration from this on the Xoom 2...)

z06mike

Reaction score
So this has a better screen, better buttons/controls, free apps, and it is $200 less than the first one???

Dfit18

Reaction score
this may be a stupid question but do you think the root method that works on the original xoom will work on the one?