Motorola account required

silverdolphin022375

Reaction score
I need help on figuring this out...

Every time I go to System Updates, I receive the following message:

Motorola account required

"System updates" is not available without a Motorola service account.

Would you like to set up an account now?

When I click on setup, the phone states it is Communicating with server. Please wait.

My issue is the phone states loading to communicate to the server, but it never finishes. It could actually stay there for hours and nothing else happens.

Any help?

Thanks before hand!

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Are you signed into a Google account on the phone? If you are not and you do you should stop getting that error.

DunDun

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
"Sammy Davis" Galaxy Season 6
Mine does this also, it started after I installed auto cheesecake.

Sent from my awesome, "rooted", artificially intelligent device using Tapatalk 2

OP
silverdolphin022375

silverdolphin022375

Reaction score
Are you signed into a Google account on the phone? If you are not and you do you should stop getting that error.

Yes, I'm singed into Google... No problems with receiving or sending e-mails from my gmail account so far.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Mine does this also, it started after I installed auto cheesecake.

Sent from my awesome, "rooted", artificially intelligent device using Tapatalk 2

If you are using Cheesecake and getting this error it means your phone is pointing at the wrong server.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
Yes, I'm singed into Google... No problems with receiving or sending e-mails from my gmail account so far.

Forgot to say welcome to the forums, see you have been a member since 2010 but this is your first post.

Have you frozen, deleted, or renamed any apps? Is your phone rooted?

OP
silverdolphin022375

silverdolphin022375

Reaction score
Forgot to say welcome to the forums, see you have been a member since 2010 but this is your first post.

Have you frozen, deleted, or renamed any apps? Is your phone rooted?

Thanks... Yes, this is my first issue with any of my Droid phones... It is funny that the phone I consider to be the best I've ever own, all of a sudden is giving me issues.

No, my phone is not rooted... It is in its original stage. In fact, I decided to remove all my apps just to make sure that wasn't the issue and just cleared the cache following the instructions on another post I found, but the issue persists.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
If you have not rooted your phone and removed any system apps and you are logged into your Google account at the moment, then you might have to do a Factory Data Reset.

If you have already removed all your apps then hopefully your contacts are backed up with Google, your music and pictures can be moved to your external sd card so you don't lose those.

You can do one of those through the Settings>Privacy>Factory Data Reset. You will have everything wiped and have to start over but it should fix the issue for you.

OP
silverdolphin022375

silverdolphin022375

Reaction score
If you have not rooted your phone and removed any system apps and you are logged into your Google account at the moment, then you might have to do a Factory Data Reset.

If you have already removed all your apps then hopefully your contacts are backed up with Google, your music and pictures can be moved to your external sd card so you don't lose those.

You can do one of those through the Settings>Privacy>Factory Data Reset. You will have everything wiped and have to start over but it should fix the issue for you.

That should definitely solve it...

Thanks, will let you know how it goes.

OP
silverdolphin022375

silverdolphin022375

Reaction score

After a Factory Data Reset, everything went back to normal...

I have to say though, ICS. is definitely nice but a little buggy; the phone tends to get non responsive way too often after the upgrade and it constantly resets by itself every time I'm in an area where reception is not strong.

All and all, I'm happy to be back in business, thanks for the advice.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
After a Factory Data Reset, everything went back to normal...

I have to say though, ICS. is definitely nice but a little buggy; the phone tends to get non responsive way too often after the upgrade and it constantly resets by itself every time I'm in an area where reception is not strong.

All and all, I'm happy to be back in business, thanks for the advice.

No problem, glad you made it to a working state.

jhenschen

Reaction score
Same issue... mostly.

I factory reset my phone because it wouldn't take the new ICS software push... and because it was having issues connecting to the internet, gps, etc. Now, when I go to get the update, I get the "System Update" is not available without a Motorola service account - message. It then asks me if I would like to set up a wireless connection to connect and set to one up. I already have the wireless set up at this point so it asks if I would like to use the existing connection. Yes, says I. So it tries to connect, can't, and tells me that I need a connection. *sigh* Stuck in the loop.

*edit* And I've reset it a couple of more times and no difference.

dfd9880

Reaction score
I am getting that error on a rooted razr maxx ICS. I heard the Jelly Bean was available soon and tried to do a system update.

except for my Droid 2, I have not had to use Factory Data Reset.

I dont really want to now.

I do use Titanium Backup

Any recommendations
fix the server pointer (real problem?)
or
reset then restore my data
or
Get Jelly Bean from a different source

Thank you for any advice you might have

dfd9880

Reaction score
What is the right server? phone is pointing at the wrong server

If you are using Cheesecake and getting this error it means your phone is pointing at the wrong server.

Is it possible to modify either the phone (rooted stock ICS ROM) or modify my Titanium back files (then restore) to correct this without a reset??

THX