Moto Z "Edge" Moto Mod Concept Brings RGB Light Notifications To The Device!

DroidModderX

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
C4VePVUWQAAJq_z.jpg

Unlike the LG G5's attempt at modular concept the Moto Z included what felt like a more complete and less beta approach to a modular design. I thoroughly enjoyed the magnetic mods which made adding new mods simple and convenient. In order to keep the modular design relevant and to avoid waning interest Motorola and Lenovo have teamed up with Indiegogo hoping to encourage the further development of Moto Mods.

One of these projects the Edge Moto Mod seeks to bring a custom RGB light notification to the Moto Z family. The mod snaps to the back of the device with magnets and adds RGB notifications to the device's frame. This is similar to what the Galaxy S7 edge has and it allows you to see incoming notifications even when your screen is turned face down. I think this mod looks amazing and would love to see it jump from prototype to actual product!

via Indiegogo

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
Was hoping they were going to combine battery with wireless charging but nope. I'll pass.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I hope this guy sells a ton of these, we need more inovation, more creativity in the tech world. Way to think outside the box and develop a new product!

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Here is another cool new Moto Mod style shell idea that has gained interest in other tech forums. Two options, one with wireless charging only and one with wireless charging & IR transmitter.

The Ultimate Moto Z Mod with Wireless Charging

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk

hammerhead13

Gold Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy Note10+ 5G
At first look i was like Boring for Just LED Notifications but upon further Reading Basically its like the Incipio OffGrid I have with the LED Notifications. Not a Bad Concept but I REALLY Wish that one of these Moto Mod Vendors would find a way to get the NFC working with a MOD Attached. Also Im still waiting for the Modular Mod that would be like how Ara was Supposed to be like the Nextpaq Case.

nexpaq: the first truly modular smartphone case

This would make for a Great Moto Mod. IMHO.

grunt0300

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel 2 XL, Nexus 6
So, in order to get RGB light notifications on my Z Force Droid( an option that should have been on the phone in the first place), i have to spend more money to buy a Moto Mod. Great concept! Can't wait to get out of my Verizon contract and get over to T-Mo.:rolleyes:

R

RETG

Will never be on my list. One reason why I have liked the past models and the Z is the lack of LED idiot light. I like the notifications the way they are now. But I agree that the more mods made available the more value there is to the phone line. And there might even sell a few.;)

Also, what is a contract? :D

What I would like to see is a company such as Otterbox or Incipio make a case (e.g., Commuter) that also connects to the phone and allows for wireless charging. My Turbo had wireless charging but never used it since it didn't work when in a case (Otterbox for example) so I found it worthless and never used it.

Razzorr

Reaction score
We have 2 Moto Droid Turbo's with cases that charge wireless. One has the otterbox and the other has the lifecase. We are using an Itain Qi charger from Amazon. It is cheap, but it works. Did have to use a better USB cable on the charger. Lack of wireless charging is why we have not upgraded our phones to the Moto Droid Z Force or any others.

LOL Motorola made a good phone with the Droid Turbo and has not made one that can replace it. Battery life, wireless charging and so forth. I do not plan to spend that kind of money and go backward. To get wireless and the battery life you have to pay more for an add on.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I hope both of these new Mods see the light of day and sell really well. Here's to supporting local entrepreneurs as they try to create innovative new tech.

e819e79e4cf96c48db52b301695bbb89.jpg

9e62f9163dc236668bdd922d6166e4b2.jpg

Other Tech Forums are talking about these guys and applauding their inguneity and innovation. If we truly still are a good forum we should be doing the same, supporting new ideas whether we like them or not. Many cool things were invented in someone's garage. Jut my 2 cents.

Last edited:

redbert31

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Here is another cool new Moto Mod style shell idea that has gained interest in other tech forums. Two options, one with wireless charging only and one with wireless charging & IR transmitter.

The Ultimate Moto Z Mod with Wireless Charging

Sent from my SM-T530NU using Tapatalk
I would definitely be interested when these prototype mods are available. Especially a good wireless charger that I could use without taking off my protective case ( I'm a klutz and have already broken the zagg glass screen protector even with that case on. P.s. zagg was wonderfully efficient about replacing the glass screen protector)

redbert31

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Will never be on my list. One reason why I have liked the past models and the Z is the lack of LED idiot light. I like the notifications the way they are now. But I agree that the more mods made available the more value there is to the phone line. And there might even sell a few.;)

Also, what is a contract? :D

What I would like to see is a company such as Otterbox or Incipio make a case (e.g., Commuter) that also connects to the phone and allows for wireless charging. My Turbo had wireless charging but never used it since it didn't work when in a case (Otterbox for example) so I found it worthless and never used it.
@ RETG. I agree..I have an Incipio case I love but would like to see wireless charging with my case on...

redbert31

Diamond Member
Reaction score
I hope both of these new Mods see the light of day and sell really well. Here's to supporting local entrepreneurs as they try to create innovative new tech.

e819e79e4cf96c48db52b301695bbb89.jpg

9e62f9163dc236668bdd922d6166e4b2.jpg

Other Tech Forums are talking about these guys and applauding their inguneity and innovation. If we truly still are a good forum we should be doing the same, supporting new ideas whether we like them or not. Many cool things were invented in someone's garage. Jut my 2 cents.

Agreed!

liftedplane

Gold Member
Reaction score
I love this idea, my first phone, the LG vx8100 had this awesome multicolored LED light for calls and texts... I did something similar on my Blackberry, sadly my android phones have slowly been losing this feature or the ability to control the color etc. I'd love something like this, and if you can control it and create certain patterns for certain contacts or apps that would be even better.

Here's hoping this does well enough

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
If I had a Z, I would totally be backing this.

Goal is 97% funded, btw, with 24 days left to go. #Success.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
If I had a Z, I would totally be backing this.

Goal is 97% funded, btw, with 24 days left to go. #Success.

+1 The wireless style shell is 115% funded so hopefully he goes into production soon. And as you mentioned, the Edge Mod is almost there. I'm confident he will get there, other forums are helping him quite a bit.

Last edited: