Moto X Google Play Edition Coming Soon

cereal killer

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nokia Lumia Icon
gp_motox.png

There's a new Google Play edition handset on the way, and yes, it's going to be the Moto X. The handset will be available from U.S. carriers for $199 (16GB) or $299 (32GB) with new two-year contracts and will launch in late August early September with a variety of U.S., Canadian and Latin American mobile operators. The Moto X Google Play edition release date is not available just yet, but it’s coming -- wait for it........soon. If you are wondering what the full retail price will be, join the club, that info is not available at this time. For those of you familiar with the Google Play edition handsets the Moto X follows suit by shipping with stock Android (sans carrier bloat), unlocked and available to purchase via the Google Play Store.

We are going to assume that the Google Play edition Moto X will be customizable just as the AT&T versions will be, but you know what they say when you assume. Motorola did not reveal that information so it's a wait and see situation.

Via: Moto X Forums

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
How much was the nexus 4 again??? I thought this phone was supposed to be at a good price point off contract....:confused:

94lt1

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Droid Turbo 2
I'd just buy an ultra maxx then....as I see it anyhow...

rowdyguy124

Reaction score
No thanks Moto. I was hoping for a decent off contract price for the middle of the road specs in this handset. $299 for 32GB!? Come on. memory prices are cheaper than they were 2 years ago when I got my GNex.

nickb34

Reaction score
I'll buy the 32GB version on the google play store for $299, but I'm not paying that price to pick up the phone anywhere else...

xeene

Gold Member
Reaction score
looks like i'll be keeping my gnex/maxx for a bit longer. so much for reasonable off contract price.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I feel like motorola blew an opportunity here. You price this thing at nexus prices and people are blowing up your site trying to order one (look at the chromecast). But 299 on contract. Now i will say this. Even though you can get a nexus 4on google for 200 t mobile still marks it way up. So this could be a carrier move and not moto. We will see when the price is released for the ge version.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

riko540

Reaction score
I'll laugh if it ends up being the same price as on contract. I would expect them to want to make some kind of profit on the phone though. My guess is $299 for the 16GB and $399 for the 32GB.

pc747

Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I'll laugh if it ends up being the same price as on contract. I would expect them to want to make some kind of profit on the phone though. My guess is $299 for the 16GB and $399 for the 32GB.

That would be something to laugh at. You can a) get a locked down carrier version for 299 with a contract or buy an unlocked, unbloated, ge version for 299 without a contract from the Google play store. Yeah that phone would be like the chromecast where it will be sold out in a matter of hours.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk 2

Caesars

Reaction score
In my mind it seems ridiculous that a mid tiered phone could ever be this expensive. Without seeing it I can't really give a final verdict...I'm guessing they're just hoping every little boy and girl wants a blue or pink phone? Otherwise I don't personally see how these are going to sell.

GS4/iPhone5

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Yea... also disappointed. I thought Google was going to change the world with low prices on off contract phones.
Guess not... I mean I get why they don't... they don't want to piss off the carriers... but I was hoping for something groundbreaking on pricing. Not the usual prices with a 2 yr contract.
*Yawn. Talk to me in 18 months when my contract is up. Done following phone news for awhile.

guidot

Developer Relations
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Its Motorola still. Not Google. This is just proof they didn't get the hand holding.

I'm for MotoX.

"Notarized"

TheOldFart

Reaction score
I wonder what the chances are that the Google Play Store Moto X will be any or much lower priced than what the off contract price is at AT&T. After all, the Google Play editions of the HTC One and Galaxy S4 are priced the same or higher than on AT&T. Since Google owns Moto they might sell it at somewhat less, but I doubt they would sell it at the rumored prices of $300 and $350. The Google Play Nexus 4 was $150 less than the retail price, so perhaps the 16GB Moto X could be around $425.

MMBrown26

Reaction score
Going w/Google Play Version

Nick, Where would you activate a Google Play versioni of Moto X? I ihaven't considered that until now but it looks like i'm headed that direction with the AT&T exclusive on customizability and various other reasons. Ugh... I was hoping for so much better with the announcements yesterday. I truly hope the phone surprises me once it is available for hands-on.