Moto/VZW requiring 4G?

err.peer

Reaction score
Yesterday I was having connectivity issues, like everyone else, but today decided to call VZW anyway. What the tech guy said floored me.
He said that as of now, I cannot choose to connect to 3G only, but rather must allow the phone to try to connect to 4G. In other words, CDMA/LTE, not CDMA only, in Network Mode. CDMA only=no data connection. CDMA/LTE=4G. He said the switching between 3G and 4G is what was causing the network issues. If the area you're in doesn't have 4G, then it will fall back to 3G, but you can not choose to use 3G instead of 4G. He said it was a combination of Moto and VZW making this happen, which doesn't make any sense.
WTF? Goodbye battery life. I wish I could switch from VZW.
Can anyone else confirm this??
I'm not rooted, but if there is a solution to this that necessitates rooting, I'm all over it, especially now that we have the fastboot files.

Sydman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P
I never use 4G mine is always on CDMA only. Sounds like you got another support tech that does not know what he is talking about.

OP
E

err.peer

Reaction score
I never use 4G mine is always on CDMA only. Sounds like you got another support tech that does not know what he is talking about.

That may be true, but the fact remains that when in "CDMA Only" mode I have no connectivity, but in "CDMA/LTE" I have strong 4G

gmorgan056

Reaction score
I just tried it and it switched right away to 3g. I wouldn't doubt if that's the plan for eventually.

OP
E

err.peer

Reaction score
I just tried it and it switched right away to 3g. I wouldn't doubt if that's the plan for eventually.

Do you have a Bionic? I'm wondering if it's just a problem with the Razr.

Can anyone else recreate my problem, or call VZW to see what they say?

illmatic636

Reaction score
Here is what I think about their logic.

They have an enormous amount of data users on 3g right now. Rolling out the 4G phones early is allowing Verizon to Direct more data traffic from the 3G network to the 4G. Hence, giving those 3G phones a better experience and at the same time, pumping out 4G phones like they're going out of style. (Them making a ton of wood on a network that technically is not ready for launch) If they allow you 4G phones to come on the 3G network at will, they defeat the purpose of elevating their 3G network I'm thinking that is why Apple decided to stay on the 3G network for now with the iPhone 4s.

Just my opinion.

Last edited:
OP
E

err.peer

Reaction score

They have an enormous amount of data users on 3g right now. Rolling out the 4G phones early is allowing Verizon to Direct more data traffic from the 3G network to the 4G. Hence, giving those 3G phones a better experience and at the same time, pumping out 4G phones like they're going out of style. (Them making a ton of wood on a network that technically is not ready for launch) If they allow you 4G phones to come on the 3G network at will, they defeat the purpose of elevating their 3G network I'm thinking that is why Apple decided to stay on the 3G network for now with the iPhone 4s.

Just my opinion.

Makes sense. I'm mainly bummed about the potential impact on battery life.
Does anyone have a workaround, or is this problem unfixable by design?
Is anyone else having this problem? I'm in Sacramento.

DroidXJoel

Reaction score
If I have CDMA / LTE selected most times I won't have a data connection. I keep mine in CDMA only all the time. My case it seems that when my phone is trying to grab 4g and it isn't getting a signal it gives up completely.

Sent from my ROOTED SAFE STRAPPED RAZRX RAZR ROCKIN XOOMZOOM

OP
E

err.peer

Reaction score
OK, now I am back to normal behavior. Who knows what was going on, but at least we still know some VZW techs just BS for the lulz

My2julz

Reaction score
Mine is out of the box...the way it came as is set on 4g all the time...the battery lasts all day...from 7 am to 11pm with no problem ...with heavy use. You need to use the smart actions and task managers, then you'll have amazing battery and it won't matter.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums

xtor

Reaction score
I'm in sac(citrus heights) I'm on 3g most of the time and works great, 2 days ago we had a 3g outage in norcal on lte phones

mleber

Reaction score

Just my opinion.

In a nutshell, that is what a worker at the Verizon store told me last weekend--minus the part about trying to get the 3g users a better experience. The rest he said pretty much verbatim. I thought it was ridiculous that the iphone didn't come out with 4g and now I think they were very smart about it.

bogginblazer

Reaction score
Dose any one know why are data keeps crashing? Ooo there's nothing smart about an iphone. There extending the 4g network. Thats why the crashing keeps happening. The got a whole bunch of at&t towers and are tryingto convert them to LTE i was in sd. And a rep told me that verizon is trying to line the highways with the 4 g network so wherever you go if you're on the highway or near it you have 4 g. Downside is are brand new 300 dollar phones don't work. They're doing a trial and error thing right now that's why we had so many crashes in december.

All I know is I really hope they get it done soon. I pay for a 4 g phone I wanna use a 4 g phone.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using DroidForums