Moto Droid and youtube video resizing

WestGaParrotHead

Reaction score
I was in the Verizon store earlier today, trying to decide on a phone, whether it be a BB Storm 2 or Droid. as I'm leaning torward the droid, I have a few questions or concerns.. when Playing Youtube Videos, the Moto droid did not utilize full screen but only about 3/4 of it. While the HTC Eris, and BBS2 both utilized full screen for the video.. does the Moto not show full screen video or is it just on youtube. and is there a way to resize for fullscreen use?

fatknuckle

Reaction score
It depends on the encoded

Video s aspect ratio. If its encoded 4:3 then there are the black bars. Just like an HD display. The problem is there isn't a way to autoscale 4:3 videos
But I've always thought that looks strange anyway.
In fact properly encoded video is absolutely brilliant.

Last edited:
OP
W

WestGaParrotHead

Reaction score
so why does the eris show the same video in fullscreen? every video I pulled up on the Moto droid, just used the center of the screen, with a 1/2" black bar all around the video, while the video controls stretched from end to end.. the eris also had a button on screen to resize, but by default showed in full screen.
I made sure I watched the exact same videos on each phone. as youtube is a one of the decision makers on which phone I end up buying

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
Screen Sizes are different.....

OP
W

WestGaParrotHead

Reaction score
hmm... thats rather disconcerning, as I have a tendency to watch alot of youtube videos.. be kind of irritating to watch them scaled down.. esp, when the screen is so large.

fatknuckle

Reaction score
Look for HD content. A scaling feature would be a nice add. My feeling is that mobile video is still sorting itself out.
but on balance you can't beat the screen on the Droid.

Backnblack

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
iPhone 7+ 256gb
hmm... thats rather disconcerning, as I have a tendency to watch alot of youtube videos.. be kind of irritating to watch them scaled down.. esp, when the screen is so large.

I guess your going to say it's a deal breaker.....

droiddict

Reaction score
Menu-->more-->Watch in High Quality

Makes it close to full screen for me.

droidstarr

Reaction score
Yeah, your should put it to run in high quality. It increase size, and quality. Plus, the screen will fill if the video is correctly in the 16:9 widescreen format. Sometimes, zooming in to the 4:3 format cuts off important detail on the video. :p even though the phone can't do that. It's just best if it doesn't do that though. ;)

bdub2007

Reaction score
i feel the same way. why can't there jus b an option in the youtube app to watch the video filling the big@s$ screen we paid for/they gave us??...

MAGGOTVOMIT

Reaction score
It doesn't make any sense. I was watching a video from another site today on a friends eris. The video was 16:9 and the screen was filled entirely. I pulled up the same vid on my droid and it was playing in 4:3!!!!! I t had squished everything and the people were tall and skinny. I hit the menu button and nothing comes up to even try to let me correct it manually!!!! WHATS GOING ON HERE?

My cheap delve played better video

dcatis

Reaction score
question

Menu-->more-->Watch in High Quality

Makes it close to full screen for me.

Can someone tell me how you change the Youtube Screen so that you can watch it in High Quality.....you have above the steps..."Menu-->more-->Watch in High Quality" but I do not see this on my Droid....can you please list step by step how to do this?

Thanks

technologeek

Reaction score
It all depends on the video you are watching. Some have a high quality option and some don't. Also you want to load the video in question before tapping menu and selecting "Watch in High Quality". I wish there were a way to make the Droid always play in high quality....anyone?

Last edited:

dcatis

Reaction score
It all depends on the video you are watching. Some have a high quality option and some don't. Also you want to load the video in question before tapping menu and selecting "Watch in High Quality". I wish there were a way to make the Droid always play in high quality....anyone?

Thanks for the help! I found it! The Droid should default to High Quality viewing whenever you watch a video. Instead of having to load the video and then change it to high quality...Not sure what Motorola designers were thinking when they designed this feature....its pretty bad. Does anyone know how to make the Droid default to "Watch in High Quality" on a permanent basis?