Moto Assist variants?

egpowers

Reaction score
I know, I know, this topic has been beaten before. Getting ready to upgrade my wife's S5 and my HTC One M9 to either Samsung S7's or LG G5. While at BB looking at phones, the Motorola rep. was showing me the Droid phones. One thing I like is they still have the Moto assist, which allows the phone to be programmed to do certain tasks. Where my wife works, her phone has to be totally silent (no vibration either) while at work, the problem is she always forgets to turn the ringer back on at the end of the day, and constantly misses calls and other alerts. Prior to getting the S5's, we both had Droid Razr Maxx HD's, switching to the S5, we both missed having the control. Are there any apps out there that 100% can be setup, easily, to control the phone like this, to automatically set the phone to silent during certain hours like the Moto assist controls?

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
I wish.
I miss that feature too.
I tried to find an app to replace it when I switched to the Note4, but Android stops third party apps from doing certain tasks automatically. I wanted WiFi & Mobille Data both turned off daily at a certain time, and Android would not allow this. (One, the other, or both I can't remember now)

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
I wish.
I miss that feature too.
I tried to find an app to replace it when I switched to the Note4, but Android stops third party apps from doing certain tasks automatically. I wanted WiFi & Mobille Data both turned off daily at a certain time, and Android would not allow this. (One, the other, or both I can't remember now)

You can't find an app to put you in airplane mode automatically?

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I know, I know, this topic has been beaten before. Getting ready to upgrade my wife's S5 and my HTC One M9 to either Samsung S7's or LG G5. While at BB looking at phones, the Motorola rep. was showing me the Droid phones. One thing I like is they still have the Moto assist, which allows the phone to be programmed to do certain tasks. Where my wife works, her phone has to be totally silent (no vibration either) while at work, the problem is she always forgets to turn the ringer back on at the end of the day, and constantly misses calls and other alerts. Prior to getting the S5's, we both had Droid Razr Maxx HD's, switching to the S5, we both missed having the control. Are there any apps out there that 100% can be setup, easily, to control the phone like this, to automatically set the phone to silent during certain hours like the Moto assist controls?
Tell her look up this app on the Play Store
d4c644a1d775af60986930bd8395c328.jpg

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
If my memory serves me (this started 16 months ago), when I switched to this Note4, and found an app that was a good replacement for the Motorola Smart Actions app. It did exactly what I needed. Turned off WiFi, mobile data, and syncing.
Then when the Lollipop update pushed, one of the items would not turn off....I think it was mobile data that would not turnn off.
I contacted the app developer, and they told me it was a security feature in Lollipop, stopping third party apps from having access to certain things. I even remember threads here saying the same thing. Some sort of safety thing if I remember.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
I wish.
I miss that feature too.

5.0 broke aftermarket ability to toggle data mode but Wi-Fi can still be done with aftermarket widgets and apps. I don't know if Google reversed this "bug" with Marshmallow or not.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Doesn't Android 6.0 Marshmallow have DoNot Disturb built in natively? Which is very similar to the older Moto Smart Action keep silent mode. There are some limitations still, notifications for Priority Contacts messages / calls will always come through. But any newer phone that has Marshmallow should have DND settings built in; in addition to the apps mentioned in the previous posts.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Mustang02

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Nexus 6P/5X
Doesn't Android 6.0 Marshmallow have DoNot Disturb built in natively? Which is very similar to the older Moto Smart Action keep silent mode. There are some limitations still, notifications for Priority Contacts messages / calls will always come through. But any newer phone that has Marshmallow should have DND settings built in; in addition to the apps mentioned in the previous posts.

Yea it does.

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score

My Note4 has it on lollipop
63719d419e0692b1ba520f32496f1452.jpg

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><

OP
E

egpowers

Reaction score
It's not data, wifi or such that needs to be off, it's only that the phone has to be silenced. I wasn't aware of the Do Not disturb mode, the only issue is her remembering to do it each day.

Downloaded both the apps suggested, Macro Droid is programmable, it might work, the other is not programmable.

Last edited:

mountainbikermark

Super Moderator
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
It's not data, wifi or such that needs to be off, it's only that the phone has to be silenced. I wasn't aware of the Do Not disturb mode, the only issue is her remembering to do it each day.

Downloaded both the apps suggested, Macro Droid is programmable, it might work, the other is not programmable.
With Do Not Disturb you can set it to turn on and off at the time and on the days it's needed . If her schedule changes frequently, like mine does, it's not the perfect solution but it's better than relying on memory only by a long shot.

Support Our Troops!!!
Beast Mode 4
<><
93b3a8a99b686b2e4ec42cc292bff150.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Miklb58

Silver Member
Reaction score
Not to hijack the thread, since DND answers the OP'S needs, but for me, I drive a school bus, out into the land of no signal, so Smart Actions was perfect. On Monday thru Friday, at 2 blocks of time, my data, wifi, and syncing would switch off, then back on. It was a very well made app

OP
E

egpowers

Reaction score
So, we decided to get LG G5's, one for the wife and one for myself. Have already gone in and programmed her phone for the Do Not Disturb mode for when she is at work, hopefully this will resolve other issues.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
So, we decided to get LG G5's, one for the wife and one for myself. Have already gone in and programmed her phone for the Do Not Disturb mode for when she is at work, hopefully this will resolve other issues.
Enjoy your new phones!