Moto 360 Gen 2 Short Review

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
As with the original review by @PereDroid , I also have been wearing & using a LG G Watch for around 18 months before buying the Moto 360 Sport. I can't say enough good things about the G watch, it is truly a beast and an awesome AW device. It's currently sitting on the shelf as my spare.

I have always preferred a round watch over a square and so far I really like the Moto 360 Sport. It's comfortable and does not feel really big on my wrist.

PROS:
The screen is very nice. The Anylight Display works very good in the direct sunlight & it's easy to see. The same watch face colors didn't seem as crisp to me as they did on my G Watch, but that could just be the difference in the display type and Moto's Anylight Display. With a few tweaks to the color Settings of my favorite faces, they look just as good as ever.

The brushed metal bezel is a nice touch and gives the watch a slight "dressy" look; so it looks good even when dressed up for work.

Moto included some really nice stock faces; I was not expecting that.

Wireless charging is a plus. The metal to metal pin charging of other docks works good, but I had to keep the metal pins clean during the Summer or my previous watch would not charge sometimes. As Pere mentioned, the bedside clock built into Dock Mode is very nice, and you can change the color of the display using the Connect app.

It has built in WiFi and stand alone GPS. I have not used the GPS yet, and may not use it much; but it's there if i need it. I have read that it does use a lot of battery. I also will probably not use the WiFi feature much, but did turn it on to see how it works and like GPS, it's there if I do need it.

The whole watch & band are one piece, no removable parts; with a good water resistant rating. It's meant for exercising and other outdoor type activities. I am not a heavy runner (bad knee), but I do walk every day and work outside a lot during the Summer. I am confident that this watch can handle a lot of sweat and the occasional splash of water.

CONS:
The watch band! I read about this before buying and it is true...whatever material this band is made with will attract every piece of lint, hair and dust within 100 feet! It's a nice band, but it does have a sticky feel to it and within 30 minutes of wearing it, it looks dirty. I liked the way my G Watch band looked after a year or so, very well-worn and smooth in places; kind of like the way good leather looks worn in over time. Hopefully this band will "wear-in" over time and not always be a dust magnet.

The microphone does not seem as sensitive as it did on my G Watch. I have to practically scream into this watch for Google Now to respond. I don't use that feature often, I use my phone for that, but it was a nice feature to show off on my G watch when people asked "What does it do?". If someone asks me that now they would think I am insane for yelling at my watch so loudly.

And lastly, my parting thought is the price (which is a con to me). In my opinion, all Android Wear watches are way overpriced. This watch sold for $299 when it first released and is $199 currently. It's a really nice AW smartwatch, but not worth $299 in my opinion. I don't know the final price I will end up paying for mine yet (it was a bundle deal with a new phone, which I am selling) but it will be less than $99 when all is said and done. That's the only reason I am wearing it and retired my G Watch (which I paid $88 for).

8142f5df5e75135fadb3b7c44b0a138f.jpg

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
FYI @ Sajo: you don't need to use Connect to change colors in the stand. Just swipe down on the face.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
FYI @ Sajo: you don't need to use Connect to change colors in the stand. Just swipe down on the face.

Thanks for the tip.

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
1 thing you didn't touch on, brother. The crown.
You're probably not used to that yet. Lol
Can't believe you can't change the band. Did not know that.
So that means you have some extra Mode bands you don't need? :) :)

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
I did forget to mention the crown, it's a nifty feature. I knew the band was not changeable when I bought it, so I'm OK with that. It was designed for sports purposes, so no removable parts.

As a matter of fact I do have my Mode band in the box, only wore it for 2 days, I could never find the comfortable spot for my wrist. I forgot I even had that. It was either too tight or too loose for me, so I switched back to the original after a few days. You interested?

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
Nah. Just kidding. I would want 3 of those to make it worthwhile I think. I'll wait til Xmas when the price finally drops.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
OK. Maybe I should post them somewhere for sale? I will check E bay. I would let it go for half price for a fellow forum member.

OP
PereDroid

PereDroid

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Moto Turbo 2
hmmm. ;) What color did you get?
/Edit/ Won't fit mine.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
Black. It comes with two band holders / latches for the extra band, one black and one white. I'm not sure the real name, but the little pieces that you slip the end of the band in once you put it on your wrist. Each band comes with two of those in different colors.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
hmmm. ;) What color did you get?
/Edit/ Won't fit mine.

Do you have the 42 MM 360? I think the Mode bands fit the 46 MM 360; they are standard 22 MM bands.

Sajo

Diamond Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Pixel 7 Pro
...So that means you have some extra Mode bands you don't need?

Thanks for the reminder about the Mode band @PereDroid . It is now on it's way to a new owner who will give it a good home and put it to good use. :)