More Pics of Droid 3 Leaked

debdroid1a

Reaction score
Still holding out for virtual slide-out keyboards personally, I wish someone would start the revolution already. :(

Kyocera Echo on Sprint dual screen phone. In the youtube video, 3.00 shows the keyboard on the bottom screen with the Facebook message on the top screen.

I think I prefer physical keybaords. Maybe. Would have to try this large keyboard to see what it was like.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score
Kudos for them on finally trying to make something revolutionary. But I think a very low light screen dedicated for keyboard use as a slider is where it's at, that way the display A) doesn't need to be so thick and B) uses very low resources. But I'd even be happy with a lit keyboard with touch sensitive keys for even lower power consumption as shown below. It's just silly to waste so much time and energy having to physically press the keys on a hard keyboard and not also have the advantage of using touch sensitive technology on a slider either way it's implemented. :)

nvidia-tegra2-concept.jpg

If my Droid had that keyboard right there, I'd be stupid happy.

deborah3756

Reaction score
Love my physical keyboard. but I'm a gadget junkie who loves new phones so . . .

Sent from my DROID2

droid doctor

Reaction score
Looks like a way more refined Droid one its looks great any word on the release date?

Sent from my DROID2 using DroidForums App

skylordusa1

Reaction score
Oh man why did you have to show this. Im still an OG owner and as I see alot of people say theres not really a phone out yet that would make me change. But this phone does look good. Its gonna be hard for me to hold out if this phone gets released soon. Im pretty positive that the bootloader wont be unlocked. And doesnt seem like theres a plan for it to have the tegra 2 chip or aleast havent heard/read anything about that. How long do we have to wait for a phone to come out with a 4.0 display, a physical keyboard , dual core chip/unlocked bootloader. That right there would be a perfect phone and I would upgrade instantly. Until a phone with these specs comes out I dont think anything will make me leave my OG running LGBv1.42. Well I can say that now until I actually get to play with this Droid 3 hahahahaha.

xsylus

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Sony Xperia XA2 Ultra H4233
I'm still waiting to find out the specs on the Droid 3 but based on those pics and it's overall outer design I'm already more interested in it than I was in the Droid 2. The Droid 2 had that nasty blue color on it, what was that about? Anyway hopefully the Droid 3 has some nice internal specs and DOESN'T have a locked down boot loader ( not that someone wouldn't be able to crack it anyway ;) ). I may just be in the market for an upgrade when the Droid 3 comes out

dancedroid

dwagner88

Reaction score
Kudos for them on finally trying to make something revolutionary. But I think a very low light screen dedicated for keyboard use as a slider is where it's at, that way the display A) doesn't need to be so thick and B) uses very low resources. But I'd even be happy with a lit keyboard with touch sensitive keys for even lower power consumption as shown below. It's just silly to waste so much time and energy having to physically press the keys on a hard keyboard and not also have the advantage of using touch sensitive technology on a slider either way it's implemented. :)

I've never understood the need for this. You would sacrifice the ability to touch type for a soft keyboard on a second screen? Why not skip the whole thing and just get a slate? Seems like a big complication for a function that is easily performed on the existing screen. If you don't have real buttons why bother with the slider mechanism and extra thickness?

volando

Reaction score
I wouldn't anticipate an unlocked bootloader but one never knows. Right now there is a 50/50 chance : ) I like those odds....

So either it'll have it, or it won't, this is true... but not 50/50 chance, that's not how statistics work :p

My money's on having it locked, as much as I want it otherwise :(

p.s. that prototype with the keyless keyboard is the stupidest thing ever put together in photoshop, why are people even discussing it? /nerdrage

microsnook

Reaction score
Unlocked bootloader and the phone will be mine no questions!

Is the D2 locked or unlocked? If it is locked then I wouldn't bet on the D3 being unlocked. Actually, I don't care at all. This is likely the phone that will replace my Droid.

Droid2 is locked, and I MISS my D1. There was so much more to do with it rom and kernel wise. The options for me now are far more limiting. I will opt for freedom from now on.

Hugh Jass

Reaction score

I've never understood the need for this. You would sacrifice the ability to touch type for a soft keyboard on a second screen? Why not skip the whole thing and just get a slate? Seems like a big complication for a function that is easily performed on the existing screen. If you don't have real buttons why bother with the slider mechanism and extra thickness?

The screen in question is capacitive sensing, just like the touch screen we already have. No pressure would be required. The benefit is that you don't have to take out your screen real-estate by pressing a text field, having it devour your screen with a simulated secondary text field which you type in, press a button to get the secondary input screen to go away applying your text to the primary text field. If you're someone like me, or...anyone... who might have lots of text fields on a single page, this becomes a bloody nightmare without a dedicated keyboard. Also not having dedicated keys reduces the ability for extra gaming keys to be used as hot keys during play. IMO it's the best of both worlds, those who want a physical dedicated key can have it and those who don't want to hard press keys don't have too. But just like anything else in this world, some would like that...some wouldn't. :)

Malvado

DF News Team/Mod
Premium Member
Reaction score
Website
www.myspace.com
I wouldn't anticipate an unlocked bootloader but one never knows. Right now there is a 50/50 chance : ) I like those odds....

Sent from my Droid
well didnt they say that with the xoom the bootloader is lockable and unlockable?? hope this is the case wit this phone

microsnook

Reaction score
I hope it would have a front facing camera. And a few other new features.