More info on the D2 please!

Skidoo03

Reaction score
Hey all, I am picking up a Droid 2 today just for something different and I am going to root it like the rest of my phones and try out some roms. What would you all recommend? I've heard about Apex and Liberty and I'm looking for battery life, I also like the blur look. What process would you recommend I use to root it and I keep reading about SBF but I'm not sure what it is really so info on that would be a big help too! Thanks in advance!

Also I keep reading how you can use Droid X roms with D2, are there only certain ones or do they all work?

Last edited:

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hey all, I am picking up a Droid 2 today just for something different and I am going to root it like the rest of my phones and try out some roms. What would you all recommend? I've heard about Apex and Liberty and I'm looking for battery life, I also like the blur look. What process would you recommend I use to root it and I keep reading about SBF but I'm not sure what it is really so info on that would be a big help too! Thanks in advance!

Good deal bro! The D2 is a bad arse machine as you will see! I have a few devices and this one is my fastest and best screen imo....and fast! Lol So, once you get it..make sure its updated..if your on gingerbread ota already when you get it, then its ready for you.Just go and google Petes one click D3 root...Yes D3...It will work simply with one click....then if you want to see a blurish experience I would agree with Apex...also Vortex but its all your choice...youtube both and review...Honestly Liquids 3.0 and 3.1 are awesome too but are 2nd Init builds...If you like speed and themes out the arse, go with Cm7! Gb...its the best out there..but liberty gives you more choices with blur options...read up and if you need anything..pop the pm or just ask here!!! Peace!

Tapped by the Droid Drummer!
Cyanogen Hunger--------Peace---------->>>

OP
S

Skidoo03

Reaction score
Thanks for the info! I've had the Incredible and the Fascinate and rooted my parents Incredible, Eris, and X and it is so addicting! I've tried CM7 on all of them and I like it of course but I really like the Blur look, at least for now. I'm probably gonna try Apex and Vortex first but could you tell me what it means to SBF or what that is? Thanks again!

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info! I've had the Incredible and the Fascinate and rooted my parents Incredible, Eris, and X and it is so addicting! I've tried CM7 on all of them and I like it of course but I really like the Blur look, at least for now. I'm probably gonna try Apex and Vortex first but could you tell me what it means to SBF or what that is? Thanks again!

Awesome! Same here with those, however, the sammy fas is downgraded to 2.1 so I could z4root it, so I have odin3 working but I have some more to learn as I need to get it on cm7..lol I will have it down today...I'm mainly a d2 guy! Peace!

OP
S

Skidoo03

Reaction score
So is SBF like Odin? What blur rom have you gotten the best battery life out of?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
So is SBF like Odin? What blur rom have you gotten the best battery life out of?

Sent from my SCH-I500 using Tapatalk

Best batt on Liquid 3.0 and latest gingerbread ota kernel Cm7

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
Best batt on Liquid 3.0 and latest gingerbread ota kernel Cm7

Yes its like rsdlite!

petecraig612

Reaction score
I actually just switched from the Incredible yesterday and I rooted the D2 using these instructions from Droid-Life last night. How to: Root the DROID2, DROIDX2, DROIDX, and DROID3 Running Gingerbread – Droid Life: A Droid Community Blog It was easy as hell and took only like 5 mins from the start. Make sure you get D2 Bootstrap from the market and then flash clockwork from Rom Manager because that is the only way I was able to boot into recovery... There might be an easier way to do this but I haven't read up that much yet.

I threw on the latest liberty and am currently sitting pretty at 64% after having my screen on for an hour and a half and an hour or so of music,making some calls and texts. To say the least I'm enjoying my first day with this phone.

OP
S

Skidoo03

Reaction score
Thanks for the respons Pete! I'm downloading the update now then trying it. What is the Bootstrap for again? I'm gonna try the exact way you just said except I'm gonna try the latest Liquid Smooth rom instead.

petecraig612

Reaction score
As far as I know, bootstrap is the only way to get access to recovery mode because the bootloader is locked... (you and I both just came from the Inc. Its taking some getting used to not being able to falsh different kernels, I miss fastcharging with the incredikernel already haha) But all I did was search bootstrap droid 2 in the market, download it, opened it and clicked bootstrap recovery. The went into rommanager, flashed the latest version of clockwork and then booted into recovery mode and installed the ROM like you normally would using clockwork.

You should follow the directions for installation that Liquid posted for his rom because it may be different than what I did. I don't want to mess your phone up anymore than you do.

Let me know how you like Liquid, I may have to try it out because I used to run that on my droid 1.

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
You guys should be fine..but if you get stuck, or need anything keep it here and I will respond...REMEMBER THIS!!! IF YOU USE BOOTSTRAPPER TO GET TO YOUR NEXT ROM, ALL IS WELL BUT DO NOT USE IT ON ANY 2ND INIT ROM....IT WILL LOOP...Fine for other ROMs just 2nd init...once on 2nd init ROM just hold power and hit reboot and the option will be given.....Peace! Time to play with fascinate a few minutes and flash kernels and all that android goodness! Lol Peace! Cm7 is awesome but, you'll have to flash gapps with the ROM....
No bootstrapper on 2nd inits

Last edited:

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
You guys should be fine..but if you get stuck, or need anything keep it here and I will respond...REMEMBER THIS!!! IF YOU USE BOOTSTRAPPER TO GET TO YOUR NEXT ROM, ALL IS WELL BUT DO NOT USE IT ON ANY 2ND INIT ROM....IT WILL LOOP...Fine for other ROMs just 2nd init...once on 2nd init ROM just hold power and hit reboot and the option will be given.....Peace! Time to play with fascinate a few minutes and flash kernels and all that android goodness! Lol Peace! Cm7 is awesome but, you'll have to flash gapps with the ROM....
No bootstrapper on 2nd inits

Make sure you dl RSDlite and moto drivers in case of any issues..sbf is easy! But like Odin3 can save a brick!

OP
S

Skidoo03

Reaction score
Hey Pete this is for you Liquid is running good. It's quick and smooth haha I'm about 7 hours of uptime at about 70% with light/moderate use. I will give you more updates as they come up.

droid2drummer

Silver Member
Reaction score
Hey Pete this is for you Liquid is running good. It's quick and smooth haha I'm about 7 hours of uptime at about 70% with light/moderate use. I will give you more updates as they come up.

You might like to check then all out! The latest cm7 is great too, as its what Liquid is built from. Also Liberty 3 is up and running with a new update! Peace! Enjoy the "machine" :)
Edit: Ummm....Them^ lol