[MOD] Change Your LCD Density

altimax98

Reaction score
Hey guys, I just recently ran the most recent MIUI and i loved it, but because of charging reboot issues I couldnt keep it running, so I went back to my beloved UD... anyways Ive seen people posting that LCD density changer doesnt work well with this rom, so heres a easy free DIY way to change it and it is 100% compatible with MIUI...

You need 1: to know how to edit your build.prop file before applying the rom. 2: have root explorer

if you have root explorer go ahead and follow the instructions.. if you use the other method, just change the file the same way..

1: open root explorer and go to /system and switch to R/W
2: open the build prop and locate the line about half way down that says 'LCD density = 240.
3: change the value to 200 and save (it will automaticly create a backup in case of a Rom issue)
4: reboot

After the reboot youll have the smaller density. It works just like changing the resolution on the computer. Everything is a bit smaller, but crisper and cleaner looking to me. The only problems are certain apps that are built to be only used on one density, so it creates black bars on the sides and bottom.. it NEVER renders a app useless, just makes black bars..

since im not still running MIUI i cant get a screeny, but if someone wants to try it and post before/after pics i can put them in this post! My screen shots are from UD2.4

****** Not responsible for bricking your phone or causing non -boot issues. USE MOD AT YOUR OWN RISK *******

* the keyboard usually changes too, so I install HTC IME or the new Gingerbread keyboard and it is the right size

Before and After:

BEFORE
1110336863_5tWnj-M.jpg

AFTER
1110336797_VKGJ2-M.jpg

BEFORE
1110336606_cbiMU-M.jpg

AFTER
1110336731_rVrVA-M.jpg

BEFORE
1110336873_P2S2N-M.jpg

AFTER
1110336580_b6j9F-M.jpg

BEFORE
1110336711_Z8Qdi-M.jpg

AFTER
1110336739_vho3n-M.jpg

SOME MORE AFTER
1110336577_ZXr6M-M.jpg

1110336848_LBoKb-M.jpg

Last edited:

yakitori

Premium Member
Premium Member
Theme Developer
Reaction score
Hey guys, I just recently ran the most recent MIUI and i loved it, but because of charging reboot issues I couldnt keep it running, so I went back to my beloved UD... anyways Ive seen people posting that LCD density changer doesnt work well with this rom, so heres a easy free DIY way to change it and it is 100% compatible with MIUI...

You need 1: to know how to edit your build.prop file before applying the rom. 2: have root explorer

if you have root explorer go ahead and follow the instructions.. if you use the other method, just change the file the same way..

2: open the build prop and locate the line about half way down that says 'LCD density = 240.
3: change the value to 200 and save (it will automaticly create a backup in case of a Rom issue)

After the reboot youll have the smaller density. It works just like changing the resolution on the computer. Everything is a bit smaller, but crisper and cleaner looking to me. The only problems are certain apps that are built to be only used on one density, so it creates black bars on the sides and bottom.. it NEVER renders a app useless, just makes black bars..

since im not still running MIUI i cant get a screeny, but if someone wants to try it and post before/after pics i can put them in this post!

****** Not responsible for bricking your phone or causing non -boot issues. USE MOD AT YOUR OWN RISK *******

* the keyboard usually changes too, so I install HTC IME or the new Gingerbread keyboard and it is the right size

Build.prop will likely not brick your phone.

Post up some screens man! Thanks. :)

OP
A

altimax98

Reaction score

since im not still running MIUI i cant get a screeny, but if someone wants to try it and post before/after pics i can put them in this post!

****** Not responsible for bricking your phone or causing non-boot issues. USE MOD AT YOUR OWN RISK *******

Build.prop will likely not brick your phone.

Post up some screens man! Thanks. :)

I know it wont, and you know it wont.. but i dont know what people may do, i dont know if editing other lines in the build.prop will make things not work with MIUI or whatever.. I do know, that this mod wont mess it up though.

StealthMode

Reaction score
It only makes the icons smaller, it doesn't make 5 columns though like LauncherPro does, correct?

OP
A

altimax98

Reaction score
It only makes the icons smaller, it doesn't make 5 columns though like LauncherPro does, correct?

Yeah it makes everything smaller... the notification bar, text, icons... but they look really crisp too. I cant run the phone without it anymore lol

Im running launcher pro with the 5 icon bar.. I would really appreciate some screen shots from stock MIUI so others can see how it looks on this rom. I enjoyed it when I ran it on this rom, and I didnt have any issues.

Backslash

Reaction score
I did this and all it did was render my call button useless. Couldn't open up the call button it would close it immediately.

GeneRs

Reaction score
Worked PERFECT on mine. Only issue is that icons on home screens that are for added apps didn't seem to change size. I'm ok with the trade off for how crisp everything looks ( especially my backgrounds ). I like the way my task bar and all of its contents are now smaller. Nice mod. Thanx for the post.

P.S. I will post some screen shots after the wife wakes up and I can get to my computer.

GeneRs

Reaction score
Hey Altimax. Can you tell me the name of your weather widget?

OP
A

altimax98

Reaction score
I did this and all it did was render my call button useless. Couldn't open up the call button it would close it immediately.

Wow interesting. I know on UD when you change the density and you use the rotary unlock it messes with the alignment. Maybe that happened with yours... anyone else notice the same thing? If you want it back just change the density from 200 to 240.

The weather widget is beautiful widgets 4x1. The theme is called Letters. I have the backround set to hidden.

Sent from one of those missing Droids

fearthewopr

Reaction score
I have alignment issues with the rounded edge on the pulldown, incall phone controls and a couple other things on 12.11.

Anyone else? I am just stock, no theme.

GeneRs

Reaction score
Yeah, I have those issues too. Like I said though, I'm ok with the trade off.

I'm curious as to what determines if an icon reduces size or stays the original size. At first I thought it was apps I have loaded that didn't change to smaller. But after looking some more, I see that some add on apps changed to smaller icons and some did not.

Anyone have any ideas about this?

stickkiller54

Reaction score
so I tried this and it seems like my battery dies a whole lot faster and there are a lot more reboots than before.