mobile site

AZ8

Reaction score
Hey all, have my DX for about a week now.

Guess this might be a battery consumption question. Or it might even be a non-issue:

Question I have is it better to visit various website using their "mobile site" option or thru their normal "full site", like I do when using my laptop. Or does it even make a difference?

Im a new, novice DX owner, so hope this isn't a dumb question.

Thanks.

jstafford1

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Twitter
jstaff79
Well the mobile site will load a little quicker and have less content. So its more a prefference thing. Will use a little more battery as the full sites pull more data, but wouldn't think it would make a huge difference.

Sent from somewhere...

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
Well the mobile site will load a little quicker and have less content. So its more a prefference thing. Will use a little more battery as the full sites pull more data, but wouldn't think it would make a huge difference.

Sent from somewhere...

^this
In general the 'full' sites are going to load quite a bit more data and it will depend largely on your signal strength (the weaker your signal the more power the radio uses and, of course most likely the longer the data transfer will take). Also try a browser that allows you to easily switch the 'user client' (my preference is xScope). This can save you time either way you decide to go since so many sites now will auto-direct you depending on your browsers ID.

OP
A

AZ8

Reaction score
Ok, thanks! Sounds like the better way is to access the sites using their mobile option.

Thanks again.

cjriddle22

Reaction score
Ok, thanks! Sounds like the better way is to access the sites using their mobile option.

Thanks again.

I would have to disagree with your assumption. Mobile sites were created for phones before they were as advanced as the Droid X. Mobile sites work great on feature phones and anything pre-Droid. I have my user agent on all my browsers set as "Desktop." With the addition of flash to android, the Droid X provides a full web experience. The screen size of the Droid X also makes for a very fulfilling web experience. The full sites probably do use a little more battery, but I didnt get the X to look at mobile sites, or worry about battery life.

Bring on the entire World Wide Web.

KZIWarrior

Silver Member
Reaction score
I would have to disagree with your assumption. Mobile sites were created for phones before they were as advanced as the Droid X. Mobile sites work great on feature phones and anything pre-Droid. I have my user agent on all my browsers set as "Desktop." With the addition of flash to android, the Droid X provides a full web experience. The screen size of the Droid X also makes for a very fulfilling web experience. The full sites probably do use a little more battery, but I didnt get the X to look at mobile sites, or worry about battery life.

Bring on the entire World Wide Web.

Some sites out there are still geared towards those older phones but the vast majority of them are now geared more towards smartphone browsers and offer the richness of the full site with a quicker loading more easily navigated layout. The problem with 'desktop' sites is that there are a LOT of poorly coded sites out there that just don't load and/or act correctly. YMMV, generally speaking when I'm using the browser on the phone I have a specific task so I want in and out quick.