Mobile Hotspot

RoNYC

Reaction score
I noticed that verizon is giving this option for free when purchasing a palm. My question is can we do this to the droid?

Guchi

Reaction score
not "officially" but its possible

OP
RoNYC

RoNYC

Reaction score
I was hoping it could be done "officially", thanks for the quick responce!

rjcapp

Reaction score
All I can say is WOW ! I am very impressed with the connection of my dell inspiron 1420 , windows vista, laptop to my TB MHS !!! Everything connected right up once the default security key was typed in... Better yet I am visiting the small town of Archbald PA and surfing... The forum page loaded quick, faster than my outdated desktop at the house using comcast...

This is awesome...

It is probably worth the extra 20.00 a month....

I downloaded spell check and it downloaded from cnet at 98kbps.....
It says I have a 54Mbps connection in the task manager....

techguru

Reaction score
All I can say is WOW ! I am very impressed with the connection of my dell inspiron 1420 , windows vista, laptop to my TB MHS !!! Everything connected right up once the default security key was typed in... Better yet I am visiting the small town of Archbald PA and surfing... The forum page loaded quick, faster than my outdated desktop at the house using comcast...

This is awesome...

It is probably worth the extra 20.00 a month....

I downloaded spell check and it downloaded from cnet at 98kbps.....
It says I have a 54Mbps connection in the task manager....

I am really impressed to. I am typing this message using on 3G since the town I am currently in doesn't have 4G yet, and it is still pretty quick.

The task manager speed is of course your WiFi speed to the phone. You can test your internet connection speed at Speedtest.net - The Global Broadband Speed Test

Alan

sik

Reaction score
I use it on my zoom and is can't believe how fast it is on 3g

WTF??

Reaction score
Unrooted...

So hows this Mobile Hotspot app work? We have to activate it with Verizon first right?
I've never gone through it before so some insight would be appreciated.

Any pros/cons?

torch327

Reaction score
If you want the legit hotspot then yes you have to pay for it.if you took advantage of the double data you can change between them even after they quit offering them.so far I haven't had any problems stating connected.I'm A pretty heavy gamer and haven't had my Xbox360.disconnect from it yet.I pay $70 a month for the 12g plan with mobile hotspot.

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using DroidForums

HowardZ

Reaction score
On rooted stock GB with android-wifi-teather
Settings: Device Profile auto
SSID: set to your choice
Leave encryption OFF
check "routine fix" (not sure it is necessary)

And wifi teather works.

Howard

uconn_jack

Reaction score
I was under the impression that Verizon blocks the use of Mobile Hotpot unless you pay for the service (i.e., the browser of the tethered computer will only open the Verizon page asking to add the servie.)

This is what happened when I first got the phone 6 mths ago when I was tinkering, but I just tried it again for ha-ha's, and it allows me to browse without restriction (I have since rooted and installed Liberty ROM).

Has Verizon dropped this restriction? I didn't think rooting made a difference since it was a radio thing that could only be bypassed with the radio hack?

Jason R

Reaction score
Its built into the rom. Something about the base its built on

Sent from my DROID3 using DroidForums

REMilk

Reaction score
I use the app "FoxFi" with my Droid 3 to make what I believe is a "mobile hotspot." To get this to work on the Droid 3, that is bypass the need to have a 'hotspot account', follow these steps:
  1. Start FoxFi
  2. Put Droid 3 into Airplane Mode
  3. Bring Droid 3 out of Airplane Mode
Seems to work fine for me. My coworkers have at least seen my 'hotspot', but I have not given out my password so I do not know if anyone else can connect while I am connected.

Good Luck,
Bob

Bullitt6996

Reaction score
It is built into the Droid 3's radios. However some of the recent ROM's have a workaround built in. That's an interesting Trick mentioned with Fox-Fi, hadn't heard of that one. I myself went to xda's site and did the radio hack I found outlined there. What it does is reclassify signals in your phone so that your 3g wifi hotspot looks like simple data traffic, keeps that verizon screen from popping, and once you do the hack, you can use the app that's already on your phone for mobile hotspot.