Mobile Broadband Connect?

SWJED

Reaction score
I just switched (via Verizon) from a Blackberry Curve to the HTC Incredible. I used my Blackberry as a modem for my laptop quite a bit and still require that capability with my new Incredible. I kept my plan in place at Verizon to ensure I could still do this but I've been unsucessful so far in using my new Droid as a modem. I've been through the manual, etc. but can't find the problem. I'm using VZAccess Manager on Vista as my interface. It won't recorgnize the device and keeps prompting me to insert a non-existent CD or go to HTC's web page to download the driver software - which is not there as far as I can tell.

Any suggestions?

Last edited:

orenb

Reaction score
Mobile Broadband

First of all- I'm new at this.

I just got my new Incredible- my first Smartphone and the VZ rep helped me with the mobile broadband setup. I had been using a VZ Novatel USB broadband modem on computers running Windows XP.

These were his instructions which worked for me:

1) Go to Control Panel in XP and remove Verizon Access Manager as well as the Mobile Generic Drivers programs which had been used with the Novatel 760. I was told having multiple programs and drivers would cause confusion.

2)Go to VZAccess Manager

3)Go down to (PDA/Advanced Device)
Choose HTC Incredible and download new Access Manager software appropriate for your computer's OS.

4)Connect the phone to the computer via USB and follow instructions.

I must say I had to be patient - it took a little while to recognize it and work. Hope this works for you.

Acid7711

Reaction score

I just got my new Incredible- my first Smartphone and the VZ rep helped me with the mobile broadband setup. I had been using a VZ Novatel USB broadband modem on computers running Windows XP.

1) Go to Control Panel in XP and remove Verizon Access Manager as well as the Mobile Generic Drivers programs which had been used with the Novatel 760. I was told having multiple programs and drivers would cause confusion.

2)Go to VZAccess Manager

Choose HTC Incredible and download new Access Manager software appropriate for your computer's OS.

I must say I had to be patient - it took a little while to recognize it and work. Hope this works for you.

I take it this is unlike the traditional wifi tethering where it's somewhat invisible to their servers? With this, obviously they probably are able to know you're tethering and thus a charge to those who don't have the plan for it would get charged?

I've never really tethered much, hardly at all, more or less just a test run here and there, but, to be able to have it as a last resort option would be nice.

OP
S

SWJED

Reaction score
Thanks!

2)Go to VZAccess Manager

orenb, thanks much, it worked like a charm and I now can use my Incredible as a laptop modem.

Rich734

Reaction score
I've been unable to tether as well. I have the programs installed on my laptop and can connect to the phone via the programs but it tells me I need a $15/mo access plan. I upgraded my Alltel phone to the Incredible without changing the plan and I have a full data access plan with the Alltel account. I think this is something I'm going to have to battle with the Verizon staff at the store. I refuse to pay for something which I already have.

Capt.D

Premium Member
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Tethering on HTC Droid Incredible

Step 1: reprogramming your phone

from your phone, dial ##pst
enter security code 000000
click "edit mode"
scroll down to Security
change the "S.IP DUN User Name" to "<your phone number>@vzw3g.com"
hit back
scroll down to "M.IP Default Profile"
change "DUN NAI" to "<your phone number>@vzw3g.com"
press menu, choose "Commit Modifications."
The phone will power cycle.

Step 2: Computer setup

Drivers: download and install VZ Access Manager from http ://www .vzam .net
don't run the program, you only want it for the drivers.

Next, plug your phone in to the computer. Let windows take care of the driver installation.

Per your version of windows, you'll need to set up a manual dial-up networking connection. Settings you'll need:

Phone Number: #777
Username: "<your phone number>@vzw3g.com"
Password: vzw

Step 3:
browse the internet.

wardo5757

Reaction score
Tethering on HTC Droid Incredible

Step 1: reprogramming your phone

from your phone, dial ##pst
enter security code 000000
click "edit mode"
scroll down to Security
change the "S.IP DUN User Name" to "<your phone number>@vzw3g.com"
hit back
scroll down to "M.IP Default Profile"
change "DUN NAI" to "<your phone number>@vzw3g.com"
press menu, choose "Commit Modifications."
The phone will power cycle.

Step 2: Computer setup

Drivers: download and install VZ Access Manager from http ://www .vzam .net
don't run the program, you only want it for the drivers.

Next, plug your phone in to the computer. Let windows take care of the driver installation.

Per your version of windows, you'll need to set up a manual dial-up networking connection. Settings you'll need:

Phone Number: #777
Username: "<your phone number>@vzw3g.com"
Password: vzw

Step 3:
browse the internet.
will verizon know youve tethered and charge you for it using this hack?

LtKen

Silver Member
Reaction score

It's not a hack, it's just the old way of doing things. They will indeed know (doesnt matter, since he pays for the service) because he's using their Access Manager.

windstrings

Reaction score
I don't think they really mind as long as you try to be reasonable and not tie up enough bandwidth to support 10 clients.

Mark_Venture

Reaction score

It's not a hack, it's just the old way of doing things. They will indeed know (doesnt matter, since he pays for the service) because he's using their Access Manager.
actually, IF he's using paying for the service, then there is need to use those instructions and hack the phone.

Yes, its the old way of doing things that violated VZW's TOS back then, and still does today, so I'll add the following...

If you tether without paying VZW for their Broadband Access plan or Mobile Broadband Connect plan (no matter how you do it), you're going against VZW's Terms of Service (that you agreed to when your started or renewed your contract with them). If caught, there could be repercussions (termination of service, hefty bill, etc.). If you're ok with that possibilty then do what you want... And ignorance to that fact isn't an excuse if you get caught.

I'll repeat what I've said many times back in the day on Hofo... I'm not going to say you can or can't do this, I'm not going to say you should or shouldn't.. I'm not going to say if VZW *WILL* or *WILL NOT* catch you. But I DO think people should have the facts so they can fully understand the decision they are making.

Last edited: