How Do You Backup the Droid Incredible?

wpgirl

Reaction score
I just got my HTC Droid Incredible a few weeks ago. I've been downloading apps and getting things the way I want them. So now my question is how do I backup this phone. I used to have a BlackBerry and using the BlackBerry Desktop software I could backup the phones databases, apps, etc. in case I needed to recover things. How do I do this with the Droid?

jnagy129

Reaction score
Most of the things auto backup, contacts, calendar, etc, apps that you paid for stay in the market when you login, for the rest there are apps that will backup for you for like texts and apps (titanium is the only one i know of for apps, but you have to root to use that), froyo has an option to install apps to sd card so in a sense they are backed up that way..if we ever get froyo lol

OP
W

wpgirl

Reaction score
What is "rooting". I'm a real Droid newbie and not a programmer at all.

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
What is "rooting". I'm a real Droid newbie and not a programmer at all.

Don't worry about that, maybe later when you have a reason to root. Right now there is no reason to root your Incredible.

Your Incredible is a google phone. Everything ties into Google. Contacts, calendar, email. Its all google. That's your backup.

This is not a Blackberry. Forget everything you learned about Blackberry. It doesn't apply to the Incredible.

jnagy129

Reaction score
okay, but apps how can you backup the data from them without rooting? the only apps that it lists as previously downloaded are the ones that i paid for? i guess you could hand write a list, but even then if it doesnt auto save settings to the sd card id say you are a little sol

hookbill

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
You just download them as you need them from the market. That's if they don't load, chances are they will.

If that's a reason to root that's a poor one. Then again I'm really in unknown territory here. What else can you do with the Incredible rooted? Are there ROMs available? Can you overclock? I guess overclocking is a reason.

catbuca5

Reaction score
Hi.
So if I've "linked" a contact's phone info to their gmail info (and their facebook info, etc.) shouldn't their phone number now show up in my gmail contacts list?

Danariel

Reaction score
Let me tell you what I just did.

Just got the phone tonight (it's still tonight, I haven't been to bed yet.) Don't have it activated yet.

My phone book from my last phone was backed up using Backup Assistant (free for Verizonwireless customers.)

I went to the Verizonwireless site, clicked on My Services, and Backup Assistant is the last choice in the drop down menu. Once on this page, look at the View options. If you choose the one with three lines, it makes a list of them. Then click on Select All, and click on the gear next to it for a drop down, and choose Export Contacts. I chose the .CSV (Outlook) format.

You can then go into your Gmail contacts, and import this .CSV file. When I did so, it imported 120 contacts, merging 16 of them automatically. The rest that I had duplicates on, I just checked all the entries for one person and merged them, checking to make sure an old number wasn't included in the merge. I got everything down to 106 contacts (weeded out some folks I didn't know/remember) then went to Account/Sync in Settings on the Incredible, and had it sync Contacts.

If you did the linking on the phone, have you run the sync? If not, that might be why it's not showing up. I'm assuming that the sync takes into account which device (pc or phone) has the most current data, as that would only make sense.

Anyway, I did all my syncing via WiFi, and downloaded some apps, too, all with no phone number associated, so no data used.