Missed call numbers do not have '1' before area code, dial as international on call back

Tailgun

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S3
This is a weird one happening on my Dad's phone. He and I both have S3s and his will not correctly call numbers back on his missed calls. I have checked and only on his missed calls the phone for whatever reason is not affixing a number '1' before the area codes. This causes the phone to dial the numbers as international numbers on the callback. He can still dial normally from his address book and and can even call back numbers in his recent listing that weren't missed just fine. The issue is solely with those calls that were missed.

Here is a screenshot:

VXeub5C.png

I have scoured the web for hours and cannot find anyone else who had this problem. What could be causing it?

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Shouldn't need the 1 to dial in America on American networks. Very strange...

EDIT: is the + sign that signals international calls. All not sure why this would happen though.

Sent from my Note 4

OP
Tailgun

Tailgun

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S3
You're right, it does appear the plus sign is the issue. Any idea why it would only be happening on missed calls and not any other kind?

Sent from my TF300T using Tapatalk 4

OP
Tailgun

Tailgun

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S3
No, he's not roaming at all but he bought the phone secondhand so the previous owner may have switched something.

Sent from my TF300T using Tapatalk 4

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Check in the settings menu. I got to them through the dialer/contacts app, but they signs be accessible from the main settings as well. Call settings. I'm on the Note 4, mine will differ, but I have a setting for current country. I can't select anything other than USA, but maybe his has been tweaked. Seems like it'd make calls in the US assist as international if that was changed. Maybe...

742c685ca79ec6f7aee539564ab5fdfa.jpg

Sent from my Note 4

OP
Tailgun

Tailgun

Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Samsung Galaxy S3
Found the problem. Apparently my dads contact numbers were not importing correctly into his new Gmail account for the phone. Incoming calls that were missed were ID'd using the imported phone numbers from his old dumb phone. This list must have been formatted incorrectly in some way that led to the error. I just fixed the contacts and synced them with Gmail. Looks like the test calls I am making now have fixed the problems.

Thanks for the help, though, Jonny. Much appreciated!

Jonny Kansas

Administrator
Staff member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Website
www.google.com
Current Phone Model
Pixel XL
Twitter
jonny_ks
Found the problem. Apparently my dads contact numbers were not importing correctly into his new Gmail account for the phone. Incoming calls that were missed were ID'd using the imported phone numbers from his old dumb phone. This list must have been formatted incorrectly in some way that led to the error. I just fixed the contacts and synced them with Gmail. Looks like the test calls I am making now have fixed the problems.

Thanks for the help, though, Jonny. Much appreciated!
Excellent! Thanks for sharing your solution!

Sent from my Note 4