Milestone 1 or 2?

zeniofir

Reaction score
Hi!

Not sure if its right place for this kind of thread but i hope it is.

Im about to buy motorola milestone 1 or 2 (Droid that is, as im from Europe) and here's the deal, what's better, milestone 1 modded with custom ROMs or stock milestone 2? I'm very new to android and even smartphones (been using SE k800i for 2 years)

i also have few additional questions,

-what's the best about custom ROMs? What are the features of newest CyanogenMOD compared to Froyo?
- Can i turn off all internet/data connections (WiFi, 3G, GPS locating etc.) on android phones/Motorola droid? I don't plan using 3G and i have just few wifi hotspots i can think of.
- Is there any significant improvement in battery life on Droid 2 compared to Droid 1 with froyo/cyanogenmod?
- Does Droid 1 or 2 play divx/xvid vids? Or is it possible with additional App from android market? would be nice if i could play FLV (flash) vids as well - possible?
- is it possible to install cracked Apps on non-modded, non-rooted Droid 2 with Froyo? Or at least on rooted (as it is possible with droid 2 now, correct?)
- what about warranty? can i root Droid 2 without fear of losing warranty? (if something bad happens can i backup and unroot it like any other android cellphone?)

what i hate about motorola cellphones are crap cameras, damn i've taken over 6000 photos with my k800i, and im really amazed with the quality (as for a cellphone of course) and when i looked at Droid 1 photos i was shocked with the poor quality, every photo lacked something and not to mention even with a lot of light dark colors seem to be very grainy so the photos quality turn out really bad comparing to my K800i.

Are there any custom camera mods/software? I know it won't change lousy sensor installed in the droid but could improve quality of the photos/reduce grain. I also though about changing the camera - would it be possible with some soldering skills and stuff to transplant old camera from k800i to droid? Of course that would need firmware changes..

Last edited by a moderator:

robtoledo23

Reaction score
Naturally you want to get the latest device

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

OP
Z

zeniofir

Reaction score
Naturally you want to get the latest device

Sent from my DROIDX using DroidForums App

that's not really obvious to me as i wouldn't ask, so can some1 answer my questions as im about to buy it right now by internet auction.

hey guys? any1?

Taegost

Reaction score
It depends on what you want. Stock-for-stock, the Droid 2 is far superior, it has twice the RAM (512M vs 256M), about 15 times the internal storage (8G vs 784k) and has a much better camera.
The Droid 1 is much better for customization as you can pretty much do anything to it, and Cyanogenmod is awesome (So is Simply Stunning). You can overclock the D1 to the same speeds as the D2, however the RAM difference is huge.
You can't turn off 3g on the phones without also shutting off the voice capability as well, so your dreams of wifi-only won't work.
I can't vouch much for battery life, I used the Seidio extended battery on my Droid 1 because I use it heavily and would kill the battery in literally half a day if I was switching ROMs (Which I did frequently).
I'm not sure what you mean by "cracked apps", and to keep from violating the ToS of the site, I'll just say that you can install apps that don't come from the market just fine.
As for the warranty, technically rooting the phones voids the warranty, like it does with any device, but you can return it back to stock in case you have an issue.

Since I've owned both of the phones, my opinion is that the Droid 2 is far superior, the extra storage and RAM make a big difference, and the camera is a lot better.
I miss the flexibility that rooting and ROM'ing the Droid 1 gives, but it's a small price to pay IMO.

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
The Droid 1 is much better for customization as you can pretty much do anything to it, and Cyanogenmod is awesome (So is Simply Stunning). You can overclock the D1 to the same speeds as the D2, however the RAM difference is huge.
You can't turn off 3g on the phones without also shutting off the voice capability as well, so your dreams of wifi-only won't work.
I can't vouch much for battery life, I used the Seidio extended battery on my Droid 1 because I use it heavily and would kill the battery in literally half a day if I was switching ROMs (Which I did frequently).
I'm not sure what you mean by "cracked apps", and to keep from violating the ToS of the site, I'll just say that you can install apps that don't come from the market just fine.
As for the warranty, technically rooting the phones voids the warranty, like it does with any device, but you can return it back to stock in case you have an issue.

Since I've owned both of the phones, my opinion is that the Droid 2 is far superior, the extra storage and RAM make a big difference, and the camera is a lot better.
I miss the flexibility that rooting and ROM'ing the Droid 1 gives, but it's a small price to pay IMO.

Actually you can turn off the 3g connection on a droid/milestone 1, just go in to settings, wireless and networks, mobile networks, and then uncheck the option for data enabled over mobile network. Then turn on wifi and you have a wifi only connection.

As for roms I would haved to vote for ChevyNo1's Simply Stunning. I've been using it since version 4.2 with no problems.

On battery life; I get great battery life on my droid, about 12 hours when I was using it as a phone (I now have a droid X and my droid serves as a wifi only device), and that's with the processor overclocked to 1ghz and with moderate usage. Although every phone will be different in terms of how it handles different roms and kernels.

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

OP
Z

zeniofir

Reaction score
Thanks for answers, well i bought droid 2 just a moment ago, waiting for a package now :).

I plan using wifi with some heavy internet usage but i won't be 24/7 under wifi signal and prices for data/internet transfers through 3G are horrible. And to save battery life i'd like to turn on/off WiFi when im not in "safe" hotspot. I just want to be sure that no app or nothing connects to internet unless i want to (and without my permission, especially through GSM like GRPS or 3G), waking up with high bill from my GSM operator doesn't sounds good

Are the differences between D1 and Droid 2 Cameras really that big? i've heard that both of these smartphones comes with same camera/sensor. Doesn't that mean that droid 2 has just better camera software (doable for d1 as well)?

As for rooting and ROMs, any idea if Droid 2 bootloader is going to be hacked? I guess im not going to miss customization as im not yet familiar with android

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
Thanks for answers, well i bought droid 2 just a moment ago, waiting for a package now :).
Are the differences between D1 and Droid 2 Cameras really that big? i've heard that both of these smartphones comes with same camera/sensor. Doesn't that mean that droid 2 has just better camera software (doable for d1 as well)?

As for rooting and ROMs, any idea if Droid 2 bootloader is going to be hacked? I guess im not going to miss customization as im not yet familiar with android

The droid 2 bootloader will most likely never be cracked I read that its a 2048 bit encryption. You still can still flash custom roms though. I would assume that if the milestone 2 and droid 2 are the same phone excluding the radio then you will need Droid 2 Bootstrap to install CW recovery to flash custome roms.

Without a fully unlocked bootloader there are no custom kernels for these phones but you still can overclock with jrummys app available in the market.
As far as I know and I have compared pictures from my droid to those on the droid 2 the camera's are the same.

Sent from my Droid using DroidForums App

OP
Z

zeniofir

Reaction score
i got package with my motorola milestone 2 just now :icon_twisted:

gotta see what is it all about

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
i got package with my motorola milestone 2 just now :icon_twisted:

gotta see what is it all about

You had the phone shipped to you right?
If so that was record fast delivery time.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

OP
Z

zeniofir

Reaction score
Does BP6X battery needs formatting? if so how long should i let it charge from a wall charger (its a first time charge, i drained the battery really fast.. like in 2 hours, it was on 40% when i got my hands on it)

i'm a bit confused with android OS, touchscreen and qwerty (i jumped from nokia 6610/SE K800i)

How can i change between GPS and A-GPS ? Does A-GPS uses GSM operators antennas?

i love the single red eye theme/startup screen from droid 1, is there any theme/screensaver for droid 2 with such thing?

Yea i got it few hours ago and bought it yesterday, i got it shipped to my doors through UPS courier

OP
Z

zeniofir

Reaction score
Charge your battery to full before the next use.

Thanks! But do i need to charge it for lets say 6-8 hours like old Li-ion batteries (and repeat 3x times - drain out then charge 8 hours) or just a full charge (around 3 hours)

Can i get rid of Motoblur UI without rooting the phone?

Quicksilver7714

Super Moderator
Premium Member
Rescue Squad
Reaction score