Migrating from Outlook to Droid RAZR

ltcalex

Reaction score
Can anyone tell if there is a search engine built within the calendar as it was o the blackberry, to search for specific entries? I have looked but not fount any "settings" that allow for this. Perhaps the Droid RAZR does not allow for this search query pertainiing to any entries with any calendar for any date.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
Can anyone tell if there is a search engine built within the calendar as it was o the blackberry, to search for specific entries? I have looked but not fount any "settings" that allow for this. Perhaps the Droid RAZR does not allow for this search query pertainiing to any entries with any calendar for any date.
Not sure what calendar you're using but if you press the search eyeglass at the bottom right of your Razr and go to settings it will allow you to select the apps that the native search engine will search when you execute a search. I don't use the native calendar so I'm not sure if the calendar is one of the apps you can select. There are a bunch of good calendars (most free) in the Market. I'm sure you can find one that meets your requirements. Most of the third party calendars will sync with your gmail/contacts etc information both on the phone and in gmail (calendar, email, contacts, docs etc).

SallyC

Reaction score

I assume you are using Google Calendar? If so, I am not aware of a way to search within the Calendar app. If you click on the Search widget, and go to Settings>Searchable items you can include other things, like Contacts, but not Calendar.

The only way I know to search your Calendar is to use a web browser and go to https://www.google.com/calendar/ . If you are signed into your Google account you will be looking at your Calendar and there is a search bar to the right of the Google icon which you can use to search your Calendar.

OP
ltcalex

ltcalex

Reaction score
Reviewing search tool on Blackberry

When purchasing my Droid RAZR, the Verizon agent informed me that I would have no problems tranfering all of my calendar entries to the new RAZR and that there was a NOTES or MemoPad. There is no thruth to this satetment as all of my calendar entries were lost, there is not Memo pad available or Notes or search tool to search all message , calendars, contacts, MemoPad and Tasks. Is Droid RAZR contemplating an upgrate that will accommodate these processes in the near future? It will be very helpful for any business person in tracking information collected over time.
Just trying to improve this new smartphone I recently purchased. Thanks to all who can be helpful.

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
When purchasing my Droid RAZR, the Verizon agent informed me that I would have no problems tranfering all of my calendar entries to the new RAZR and that there was a NOTES or MemoPad. There is no thruth to this satetment as all of my calendar entries were lost, there is not Memo pad available or Notes or search tool to search all message , calendars, contacts, MemoPad and Tasks. Is Droid RAZR contemplating an upgrate that will accommodate these processes in the near future? It will be very helpful for any business person in tracking information collected over time.
Just trying to improve this new smartphone I recently purchased. Thanks to all who can be helpful.
Couple of questions: 1) Do you want to sync your Razr email with a corporate mail system? 2) Do you use Outlook and the Outlook calendar as part of your business (at office) email and calendar apps but it is not part of corporarte exchange? If the answer to number 1 is yes then when setting up email on Razr use the corporate sync app to do that. It will setup your Razr to sync with your corporate email and calendar being maintained in Outlook. If you are not tied to a corporate (exchange) but want to get email on your phone then setup the account using the email app provided. To get your Outlook calendar to sync with the calendar on your phone go here: How to Sync your Outlook Calendar, Google Calendar and Android Phone Calendar | Android Tapp. There are some good note apps on the market but they won't sync with Outlook Notes. There is no notes app in gmail that is similiar to what you find in Outlook. There is a way to sync your Outlook notes to gmail but it requires 3rd party software and the notes show up in Google Docs...no big deal. Hope this helps.

I was a previous BB user for years and my contacts, email and calendar (not exchange) revolved around Outlook. It took me about a month to realize that I was much better off ditching Outlook. I had all my contacts imported into gmail, my business email forwarded to my gmail account (which pushes that email to me instantly) and I now use google calendar. I can handle business email from my PC or Razr with no problem. My Razr and my PC always have the same email and calendar. The google calendar will accept and send invitations to meetings etc from other systems like a corporate exchange system. Hope this helps. A really good app to check out is call EverNote...it will satisfy your notes requirements plus a lot more...check out in the Market.

Last edited:
OP
ltcalex

ltcalex

Reaction score
Reply to Calhoun

Couple of questions: 1) Do you want to sync your Razr email with a corporate mail system? 2) Do you use Outlook and the Outlook calendar as part of your business (at office) email and calendar apps but it is not part of corporarte exchange? If the answer to number 1 is yes then when setting up email on Razr use the corporate sync app to do that. It will setup your Razr to sync with your corporate email and calendar being maintained in Outlook. If you are not tied to a corporate (exchange) but want to get email on your phone then setup the account using the email app provided. To get your Outlook calendar to sync with the calendar on your phone go here: How to Sync your Outlook Calendar, Google Calendar and Android Phone Calendar | Android Tapp. There are some good note apps on the market but they won't sync with Outlook Notes. There is no notes app in gmail that is similiar to what you find in Outlook. There is a way to sync your Outlook notes to gmail but it requires 3rd party software and the notes show up in Google Docs...no big deal. Hope this helps.

I was a previous BB user for years and my contacts, email and calendar (not exchange) revolved around Outlook. It took me about a month to realize that I was much better off ditching Outlook. I had all my contacts imported into gmail, my business email forwarded to my gmail account (which pushes that email to me instantly) and I now use google calendar. I can handle business email from my PC or Razr with no problem. My Razr and my PC always have the same email and calendar. The google calendar will accept and send invitations to meetings etc from other systems like a corporate exchange system. Hope this helps. A really good app to check out is call EverNote...it will satisfy your notes requirements plus a lot more...check out in the Market.

Great information. As a former BB user, I now guess I need to get used to gmail. Have you a remedy for searching through your calendars for specified information with gmail? I'll check out the market and see what and how EverNote performs. Might be worthy of reporting for all RAZR users to know. Your thoughts.? Many thanks!!!

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
You're welcome. It didn't take long for me to get used to gmail once I realized how integrated their software and services are...my biggest obstacle was ME. Gmail has a function very similar to BES/BIS called Fetch. Login to gmail on your PC to check it out. I've had BBs and Treo's...they can't touch the speed and versatility of Android. I think EverNote is well worth checking out. I'very never needed to search my calendar...wish I could help you on that.

Sent from my DROID RAZR

OP
ltcalex

ltcalex

Reaction score
JP, just as a thought, I've made numerous entries on my calendars in Outlook, later to research either trends or tracking workout schedules I've had. It was always handy for my next work scheduled to insure I didn't over train as well as held my feet to the fire on appointments, current and past. I've already downloaded EverNote and will work with it and it benefits. Your TIP was a great one and I believe this Thread should be continued for all former BB users to facilitate their "transition". :biggrin:

OP
ltcalex

ltcalex

Reaction score
First, I want to apologize for not searching deploy enough for this answer. I'm sure many new to Google will have this same delimena. The first thing you must do is establish a gmail account; once established, go to settings (there is a circular wheel in the upper right-hand corner of your menu) - select it, then select settings. This will provide you the information you need to transfer any email for which you havde an account. Follow the prompts - it will get you there. I accomplished this yesterday and have all of my verizon email both on my computer and my RAZR. My next quest is to see if I can transfer my outlook calendar entries to my gmail calendar. Much success to all new RAZR and Droid users!

jpcalhoun

Reaction score
First, I want to apologize for not searching deploy enough for this answer. I'm sure many new to Google will have this same delimena. The first thing you must do is establish a gmail account; once established, go to settings (there is a circular wheel in the upper right-hand corner of your menu) - select it, then select settings. This will provide you the information you need to transfer any email for which you havde an account. Follow the prompts - it will get you there. I accomplished this yesterday and have all of my verizon email both on my computer and my RAZR. My next quest is to see if I can transfer my outlook calendar entries to my gmail calendar. Much success to all new RAZR and Droid users!
Sorry man, I made the assumption (my mistake) that the Verizon store setup your gmail account during the activation process. I mean that is one of the first things the phone ask you to do. And, any sales rep should know that an Android phone without a gmail account is a real handicap. I guess experienced Android users should ask the obvious questions first. That said, your questions are always welcomed in this forum.

SallyC

Reaction score

I migrated from Outlook to Google Calendar and what I did was export my calendar in Outlook and then import it in Google. It was pretty painless and without difficulty. Now that I've made the move I can't imagine going back. It's so nice to be able to view/edit my calendar from any pc or my phone. I think you're going to love it.

sdoo25

Reaction score

There is a program from Google that will sync your Outlook calendar to your Google calendar, Google Calendar Sync. I use this to sync my Outlook calendar to Google which then gets synced to my RAZR. If you don't want to, or can't, ditch Outlook this will keep your calendar synced between your computer and phone. The sync isn't real time but you can set it up for varying intervals, I have mine set to sync every 30 minutes I think.

OP
ltcalex

ltcalex

Reaction score
JP - not your fault

As an experience for anyone migrating from a BB to a Droid RAZR, no one provides you a heads-up on what to ask for or expect in the upgrade. Unfortunately, they downloaded all they "were required to" without any instruction to me on transferring my calendar and contacts. The contacts were transferred, however, I lost all of my entries in my calendar. Your recommendations and Sally's are great, and I will ensure I have the Google calendar Synch app. Verizon (VZN) only does what tey need to and unless you have a real tech/person oriented rep, you're left to their mercy. I can probably reproduce many of the entries I had in the Outlook for the Google calendar and be content. I hope this thread can serve as a training tool for all who need to transfer Outlook calendar and contacts. More to come on this on this and other topics.

SallyC

Reaction score
As an experience for anyone migrating from a BB to a Droid RAZR, no one provides you a heads-up on what to ask for or expect in the upgrade. Unfortunately, they downloaded all they "were required to" without any instruction to me on transferring my calendar and contacts. The contacts were transferred, however, I lost all of my entries in my calendar. Your recommendations and Sally's are great, and I will ensure I have the Google calendar Synch app. Verizon (VZN) only does what tey need to and unless you have a real tech/person oriented rep, you're left to their mercy. I can probably reproduce many of the entries I had in the Outlook for the Google calendar and be content. I hope this thread can serve as a training tool for all who need to transfer Outlook calendar and contacts. More to come on this on this and other topics.

You're right that it could be easier. Hopefully the forums will provide a good source of help for this and other issues. As far as your Contacts and Calendar, I should have given more detailed instructions.

This link will tell you how to export your calendar from Outlook and then import it into Google.

For your Contacts, export them as a CSV file, then sign into Gmail, then
  1. Click Contacts (located above the Compose Mail button) on any Gmail page.
  2. From the More actions dropdown menu, select Import....
  3. Click the Choose File button.
  4. Select the CSV file you exported and click the Import button.

dkelly701

Reaction score
I am using an app called business Calendar that has a search feature. I don't believe your entire google calendar is searchable but there is a search feature. Below is the link to the free version. They also have a paid version.

https://market.android.com/details?...=W251bGwsMSwxLDEsIm5ldGdlbml1cy5iaXpjYWwiXQ..