Migrating from Droid 1 to Droid X... Questions

kerz187

Reaction score
Hey all! Newb to the forums, but not to Android hacking. My original Motorola Droid died and I'm replacing it this evening with a brand new Droid X. I know there is a stock 2.2 OTA update as of late September, but I'm concerned about the bloat that comes on the machine.

I read the sticky about removing the bloatware, of course. I know when the phone was released in August there were major concerns about the ability to install custom ROMs. Is this still something I should be concerned with?

My ideal course of action would be root --> ROM --> overclock (I hear 1.2ghz with low volt is best). I just don't want any Moto Blur garbage on my phone and want to get as close to stock Froyo as possible (maybe gingerbread soon?!).

My questions are just- I already have RSD Lite installed on my machine from my Droid 1. From what it looks like, there is a program that I can get that will just give me an option to plug in an hit "root" or "unroot." What is this?

From there, what are my best options from installing ROMs?

And what is the best option for a overclock program? I see a thread a few down "...Easy/Noob Friendly," is that everyone's preference? Or is there something better?

I really appreciate your direction on this!

Aaron K.

JRobzilla

Reaction score
Hey all! Newb to the forums, but not to Android hacking. My original Motorola Droid died and I'm replacing it this evening with a brand new Droid X. I know there is a stock 2.2 OTA update as of late September, but I'm concerned about the bloat that comes on the machine.

I read the sticky about removing the bloatware, of course. I know when the phone was released in August there were major concerns about the ability to install custom ROMs. Is this still something I should be concerned with?

My ideal course of action would be root --> ROM --> overclock (I hear 1.2ghz with low volt is best). I just don't want any Moto Blur garbage on my phone and want to get as close to stock Froyo as possible (maybe gingerbread soon?!).

More like root --> buy Droid X Bootstrapper --> ROM --> overclock, as for which values are the best I can't help, just stock 1.0 on ULV for me. There are ROMS that take out all or most of the bloatware, such as Rubix, GummyJar, Darkslide among others (the three I named are the only ones I've tried).

My questions are just- I already have RSD Lite installed on my machine from my Droid 1. From what it looks like, there is a program that I can get that will just give me an option to plug in an hit "root" or "unroot." What is this?
Z4Root is most likely the one you're referring to.

From there, what are my best options from installing ROMs?
See above, but there are quite a few. Check out the sections for each ROM here, as well as the Darkslide thread under the Droid X Roms section

And what is the best option for a overclock program? I see a thread a few down "...Easy/Noob Friendly," is that everyone's preference? Or is there something better?

I really appreciate your direction on this!

Aaron K.
I use the overclock app by JRummy, it's very easy to use with preset values as well as the ability to customize. There is one from Unstable Apps but I have no experience with it.

OP
K

kerz187

Reaction score
Thanks for the insight. Regarding installing ROMs- will the Bootstrapper allow me to download ROMs OTA a la CyanogenMod? Or will it still involve a computer?

If so, do you have any links that show the best methods/process to get this up and running? It's been awhile since I installed a ROM from a PC.

JRobzilla

Reaction score
Thanks for the insight. Regarding installing ROMs- will the Bootstrapper allow me to download ROMs OTA a la CyanogenMod? Or will it still involve a computer?

If so, do you have any links that show the best methods/process to get this up and running? It's been awhile since I installed a ROM from a PC.

The bootstrapper app is run from your phone after bootup. It really just temporarily flashes an alternate recovery, and boots into it. From there you can do backups and restores as well as flashing new roms from your SDCard. If you download the rom from your phone then no computer is necessary at all. If you download to your PC then the only involvement your computer has is to copy the rom to your phone's sdcard.

OP
K

kerz187

Reaction score
Perfect. I think i'm all set.. I'm really pumped for this, can't wait to pick up the new phone! Any recommendations on your favorite ROM? I've browsed the forum, and i'll try a few probably, but which one would you download first?

JRobzilla

Reaction score
Perfect. I think i'm all set.. I'm really pumped for this, can't wait to pick up the new phone! Any recommendations on your favorite ROM? I've browsed the forum, and i'll try a few probably, but which one would you download first?

The 3 I listed in my first response have all been pretty rock solid. Darkslide maintains minimal blur to keep certain things running. Rubix and GummyJar are very stable. Fission is supposed to be pretty solid, but I have not tried it.

I honestly don't think you can go wrong with any of the above, but you may find one more suited to your tastes.