MicroUSB port broke

Reaction score
Yesterday when I unplugged my droid form the supplied Micro USB cable my port on my phone broke. The 5 pins on the USB are still there but the flat plastic peice that holds them straight pulled out with the cable and is still stuck in the cable. Has anyone seen or heard of this? I can still pull my battery and charge it in my wife's DROID. I can also plug in my wife's charger and it works 50% of the time. Does anyone think the store will replace it or would I have to go through the insurance?:confused:

unix.punkx

Silver Member
Reaction score
Oh my gosh! Did it get stuck into the phone? I would see if at all possible Motorola might be able to replace that for you. They were kind enough and sent me a battery cover replacement.

JhankG

Silver Member
Reaction score
I'm not surprised to hear this at all. The usb port seems to be a weak design of the phone. If Verizon won't replace it for you, Motorola certainly will. You have a standard one year warranty through Motorola that covers this sort of thing. To make things easier on yourself, try Verizon first because you will have to ship the phone off if Motorola is the one who replaces it.

OP
FarkinDroidUser
Reaction score
It was kind of stuck, but not enough to break it, so I thought. I'll post a pic when I get back home. I love my DROID; this sucks D:censored:K! For now, I can still connect with usb so I made a copy of my SD Card Justin Case.

AnneDroid

Rescue Squad
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I know Justin Case, we go way back...

OP
FarkinDroidUser
Reaction score
I took it in to the Verizon store today and they replaced it (refurbished). Thanks Verizon.:icon_ banana: I think it was a faulty charger cable (original 3ft) that caused it and I will buy a new one.

dezymond

Tech Support Mod
Staff member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Current Phone Model
Google Pixel
did you have it in incorrectly too? I noticed that the phone responds to the usb cable before it's completely in

also, glad to hear you got it replaced

christim

Super Moderator
Rescue Squad
Reaction score
I took it in to the Verizon store today and they replaced it (refurbished). Thanks Verizon.:icon_ banana: I think it was a faulty charger cable (original 3ft) that caused it and I will buy a new one.

I love the phrase on the "Generic Food" looking box they come in:

Like-New
Certified

Corinacakes

Super Moderator
Theme Developer
Reaction score
thanks to reading this thread the day it was posted....i've had 2 nightmares of this happening! :cus:

Last edited:
OP
FarkinDroidUser
Reaction score
It is a flaw. I use my droid while plugged in alot. I think while in landscape I was accidently applying pressure to the connection. After a few months of this I think it just wore out. The usb port placement and the cable itself are terrible.:r_c:I ordered a 6ft cable with a 90degree bend at the port to remedy this happening again.

Last edited:

droidgal

Reaction score
Micro USB breakage

Farkindroiduser, where did you buy the cable with the 90 degree bend?

I just got a refurb replacement through Verizon (I called them) because my droid's micro usb connection was loose - it got progressively worse until it would not charge unless the cable was in an exact position.

Well, today is the first day with the new phone and I think it's usb is a bit loose, too, and expect it will end up just like my first phone.

After the warranty runs out (I am assuming I am still on the first phone's 1 year warranty - am I right?) then I will likely attempt to fix the thing myself. I wondered if anyone had any experience fixing the micro usb with other devices. I've replaced the battery and screen on my Ipod and done other small electrical repairs so I would feel comfortable at least opening the droid and taking a look. It may be too early for this question though, as I suppose the first droid warranties will not go out until November. :icon_eek:

jackmccarron

Reaction score
Where did you get the new usb cable with the 90 degree bend? Has it worked out ok?

wigout

Reaction score
Last edited: